996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ugh... I did it again... Got another 996tt.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 04:13 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Ugh... I did it again... Got another 996tt.

After having 4 or 5 996tts with up to 850hp, and then upgrading to a 997.2TT Cab, I sold my last turbo in hopes of saving up for a 997tt coupe 6-sp manual or a 991tt pdk. Unfortunately, I ended up selling the 997.2TT at the worst time in the market and now everything has gone completely insane in price. Had to get into yet another 996tt coupe due to budget. Im sure things have changed quite a bit since my last build, so I figured Id ask for a little of the most current "best thing."

Car is completely bone stock with the exception of a widebody kit, an exhaust, and some silicone upgraded boost hoses - All show and No Go by the previous owner.

I want to start with:
Tune - Going with Sam, since he does all my in-house customer tunes at the shop
SSK - Which is the preferred setup? I believe I had some version of the OEM short shifter in my last car and it was amazing. Not sure if anything else has come out since then.
Any other easy, hp-yielding mods out there to do at the same time? Plenum?

Old 07-29-2024, 08:11 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
After having 4 or 5 996tts with up to 850hp, and then upgrading to a 997.2TT Cab, I sold my last turbo in hopes of saving up for a 997tt coupe 6-sp manual or a 991tt pdk. Unfortunately, I ended up selling the 997.2TT at the worst time in the market and now everything has gone completely insane in price. Had to get into yet another 996tt coupe due to budget. Im sure things have changed quite a bit since my last build, so I figured Id ask for a little of the most current "best thing."

Car is completely bone stock with the exception of a widebody kit, an exhaust, and some silicone upgraded boost hoses - All show and No Go by the previous owner.

I want to start with:
SSK - Which is the preferred setup? I believe I had some version of the OEM short shifter in my last car and it was amazing. Not sure if anything else has come out since then.
Congrats on the pickup. It's very telling when owing to the current economics you are forced to remain on the 996 TT platform. I would also like to have upgraded to the 991 PDK iteration but chose to retire comfortably while I continue to attempt reaching 300k miles on my now second 996 TT.

At least there will be no "surprises" for you while making the car your own! I would also stick with Sam given you know him and his work and continuing after sale(s) support. I would also stick with the 997 ssk unless the Numeric is an option. When they say "rifle bolt action" they ain't kidding. Sometimes I wish I'd swapped for it.

That said, I've never been unhappy about keeping the 997 ssk even though the 1/2 shift I will never get full used to regardless of shifter. It's the throw that could be "improved". I went with the IPD 68mm ( from Sam ) and while I was sure ten years ago upon installation that I felt an increase in mid range TQ. Today? I couldn't tell you if it was "worth" it and I was happy with the 5 bar FPR and opted to forgo larger injectors. I didn't want to mess with a larger 74 TB and any adjustments was the car was just canyon carving and mid range was where it "lived" mostly. All I know is IPD's white paper dyno charts re increased HP? are mythical at best.

Now I mostly just look at the car so it's all academic.

GL in your new project! We could all do a lot worse than a 996 Turbo! I was thinking of a Safari build for the coming Mad Max world soon to commence.

Old 07-30-2024, 10:35 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
Congrats on the pickup. It's very telling when owing to the current economics you are forced to remain on the 996 TT platform. I would also like to have upgraded to the 991 PDK iteration but chose to retire comfortably while I continue to attempt reaching 300k miles on my now second 996 TT.

At least there will be no "surprises" for you while making the car your own! I would also stick with Sam given you know him and his work and continuing after sale(s) support. I would also stick with the 997 ssk unless the Numeric is an option. When they say "rifle bolt action" they ain't kidding. Sometimes I wish I'd swapped for it.

That said, I've never been unhappy about keeping the 997 ssk even though the 1/2 shift I will never get full used to regardless of shifter. It's the throw that could be "improved". I went with the IPD 68mm ( from Sam ) and while I was sure ten years ago upon installation that I felt an increase in mid range TQ. Today? I couldn't tell you if it was "worth" it and I was happy with the 5 bar FPR and opted to forgo larger injectors. I didn't want to mess with a larger 74 TB and any adjustments was the car was just canyon carving and mid range was where it "lived" mostly. All I know is IPD's white paper dyno charts re increased HP? are mythical at best.

Now I mostly just look at the car so it's all academic.

GL in your new project! We could all do a lot worse than a 996 Turbo! I was thinking of a Safari build for the coming Mad Max world soon to commence.
Over the years of owning like 5 of these cars, I always thought these cars were epicly undervalued and I kick myself for not keeping any of them - my last black on black 03 coupe with 850hp was probably the best car I ever owned and shouldve been a forever car...

Thank you for the write-up. Is there a difference between the 997SSK and the 997 Gt3 shifter or are they one in the same? I heard the 997ssk isnt much of an improvement at all - I think i read something like only a 15% reduction in throw. Id like to go with something a bit more aggressive than that - Ill look into the numeric kit. Have you seen this option from function first?:
Function First shifter

Old 08-04-2024, 08:51 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Over the years of owning like 5 of these cars, I always thought these cars were epicly undervalued and I kick myself for not keeping any of them - my last black on black 03 coupe with 850hp was probably the best car I ever owned and shouldve been a forever car...

Thank you for the write-up. Is there a difference between the 997SSK and the 997 Gt3 shifter or are they one in the same? I heard the 997ssk isnt much of an improvement at all - I think i read something like only a 15% reduction in throw. Id like to go with something a bit more aggressive than that - Ill look into the numeric kit. Have you seen this option from function first?:
Function First shifter
Yes, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, have seen the FF offerings over the years and never bothered to further investigate and have not knowingly driven a car with them installed. That said, beyond the rifle bolt action of the Numeric. I've always setteled for that -15% throw that the 997 ssk provides. I'm not sure anything can improve the "1/2" shift so I've never really tried.

If I was young ( and or "new" to the platform? ) I would opt for the Numeric for sure.

Cool that you're on your fifth?! I'm stuck with my second TT ( bolt on 550 hp max ) and am "done". About to fire 'er up right now in fact. Sunday AM drive when the idiots are still hopefully still asleep!

Cheers and GL making the "newest" one "yours"!

Old 08-04-2024, 08:33 PM
SVTto2JZ is infamous around these parts
Congrats! If you have any interest in a used Cobb Accessport (which Sam tunes with), feel free to shoot me a message. I just unmarried one from my 996TT.

Old 08-07-2024, 03:49 AM
KennethBlount
Spoiler

I want to start with:
Congratulations on your pickup!

Last edited by KennethBlount; 08-20-2024 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2024, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by SVTto2JZ
Congrats! If you have any interest in a used Cobb Accessport (which Sam tunes with), feel free to shoot me a message. I just unmarried one from my 996TT.
switching to a different tune? PM me a price. Thanks

Old 08-09-2024, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
Yes, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, have seen the FF offerings over the years and never bothered to further investigate and have not knowingly driven a car with them installed. That said, beyond the rifle bolt action of the Numeric. I've always setteled for that -15% throw that the 997 ssk provides. I'm not sure anything can improve the "1/2" shift so I've never really tried.

If I was young ( and or "new" to the platform? ) I would opt for the Numeric for sure.

Cool that you're on your fifth?! I'm stuck with my second TT ( bolt on 550 hp max ) and am "done". About to fire 'er up right now in fact. Sunday AM drive when the idiots are still hopefully still asleep!

Cheers and GL making the "newest" one "yours"!
Thanks!! Any recommendation of where to get a good deal on one?

Originally Posted by KennethBlount
Congratulations on your pickup!
Thank you!!! the car is wild with the bodkit. Now onto the power adders

Old 08-11-2024, 10:40 PM
SVTto2JZ is infamous around these parts
switching to a different tune? PM me a price. Thanks
Just replied to your PM. By the way... we need to see pics of this widebody setup!