996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Replacing noisy P zeros

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Replacing noisy P zeros

I am going to try a new tire. Anyone have experience with the Pirelle Rossos. They came on the GT2 and are available in stock turbo sizes. Are they more quiet than the zeros and what about performance? The tire rack specs had a wear rating higher than the zeros?? And I know a lot of guys love the PS2`s but they are only Y rated. Any problems there? And finally are the PS2`s way more quiet than the Pirellis as they are loud as %#%^^k
thanks Mike

Old 03-31-2006, 12:47 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Mike,

PS2's all the way. That is the first thing I changed on my car. I had P zeros and all I can say is they were horrible.

I installed 315 and 235's on new brand 04' GT2 wheels.

The performance and ride quality is astounding compared to the P zeros. They are very quite to boot, again much better than the zero's.

There is one section of road that I drive on from time to time with a section of road with 1 mile of expansion joints.

With the P zeros it would almost shake my teeth out it was that bad. By contrast the PS's soaked up those joints like it was a different car. I was totally astounded that a tire could be that different.

Go for the PS2's you will love them.

On a side note, make sure you get the tires road force tested (Hunter 9700) when they are mounted. I had two of the 235 replaced under warranty as the road force reading was 23 and 25 lbs. The Porsche spec is 6 or less. The 315's were both zero

Old 03-31-2006, 02:09 AM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mikerosi
I am going to try a new tire. Anyone have experience with the Pirelle Rossos. They came on the GT2 and are available in stock turbo sizes. Are they more quiet than the zeros and what about performance? The tire rack specs had a wear rating higher than the zeros?? And I know a lot of guys love the PS2`s but they are only Y rated. Any problems there? And finally are the PS2`s way more quiet than the Pirellis as they are loud as %#%^^k
thanks Mike

The Y rating is the highest speed rating on a street tire.
The Michelins are significantly quieter than the Pirellis and of course are also significantly better performing as well. Though not nearly as bad as Continental, my experience with Pirelli regardless of car and tire type has always been very poor.

Last edited by Josh; 03-31-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:22 AM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
About to replace my PZero Corsas

I drive 101 to San Jose every day and it feels like my teeth are also going to drop out, I'm also nearly deaf from the road noise.

I've had these on for 5000 miles now and they have very little life left in them.

Luckily (if you could call it that) I blew out a front one on a road trip to Arizona and all the shop had some was some random Kuhmo brand, so I had to put two of those on the front ... I've felt guilty as hell for about a month over that now.

I'm going back to Michelin I think. I've had two sets of corsas and was happy with the grip to the road in the dry, but don't much like having to grip my pants in the wet.

As us Brits say "It's a knicker gripping ride"

:-)

I'm going SP2 I think.

Seems like everyone here likes SP2's ?

Old 03-31-2006, 04:15 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
PS2s on all the 996. For the more aggresive guys that like to have some fun in the rain.. I use RA-1s. Contis are cheap but man do they have bad grip. P-Zeros are the worst rubber ever. Worse than strawberry flavored...

Old 03-31-2006, 05:07 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Mike,

PS2's all the way. That is the first thing I changed on my car. I had P zeros and all I can say is they were horrible.

I installed 315 and 235's on new brand 04' GT2 wheels.

The performance and ride quality is astounding compared to the P zeros. They are very quite to boot, again much better than the zero's.

There is one section of road that I drive on from time to time with a section of road with 1 mile of expansion joints.

With the P zeros it would almost shake my teeth out it was that bad. By contrast the PS's soaked up those joints like it was a different car. I was totally astounded that a tire could be that different.

Go for the PS2's you will love them.

On a side note, make sure you get the tires road force tested (Hunter 9700) when they are mounted. I had two of the 235 replaced under warranty as the road force reading was 23 and 25 lbs. The Porsche spec is 6 or less. The 315's were both zero
WTF is a road force reading???

Old 03-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Slowpoke is infamous around these parts
What about Yokohama AVS Sports? Bridegestone S03 PP?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Kiko:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

All will be revealed.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:55 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
All Michelin tires are decent. I love MSC for both street and track.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in agreement on the PS2's. I sell them for 911's 2:1 to everything else out there. Give me a call to chat or order. THANKS!

Y rated is top of the line at 186 mph.

Below that is W @ 168
Z at 150+
V at 149
H at 130
T at 118
S at 112

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guy`s. Its PS2`s all the way.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Cody_1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
P-Zeros are the worst rubber ever. Worse than strawberry flavored...

Sharky - you're a freak!!

Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Just did that this week. WOW!

Old 04-01-2006, 10:17 AM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I switched to PS2's also..much quieter and look sweet. I think they actually look wider on the rears. I'm not sure about the tire rating. I did read its the same tire that Bugatti used on the Veyron. Top speed 250+mph?

Old 04-01-2006, 10:16 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
BigBadBen is right on the money, I have the same wheel/tire setup its as good as it gets on the street and not that bad on the track either!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing noisy P zeros