996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What does GIAC do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
What does GIAC do?

I am asking this question seriously.

My car with modified wastegates, exhaust and EVO intake will run 1.2 bar boost wether the GIAC is set to "stock" or "pump". It seems the fine tuning of the boost is a function of the tightening the wastegate actuator rod.

So what am I missing? The stock program seems to have the fuel maps to run the upgraded boost.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
you can run a manual boost controller parallel to the stock frequency valve to control the wastegates... or just get a greddy electronic boost contoller, leave out the stock frequency valve and then u can control ur boost... but it will be limited to to 1.3 bars due to throttle body shut down... but the high end GT series tuning kits by evoms/IA dont have this shut down. Also, stock k16s will blow nothing but HOT air at 1.3 bars.... so u need to controll ur wastegates and have then at 1.2 bars max... this is strictly my opinion... I have done all of the above... Protomotive as well comes with TB bypassed just like the GT series by evoms.
when u upgrade to bigger turbos that produce power at 1.2 bars and above... is when u get the full benefit of billet wastegates...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-30-2006, 10:12 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I think I'm getting dumber...I have no idea whether Markski answered your question or not. It is an interesting observation that it appears the GIAC programming of the ECU has no effect? Unfortunately I am way too dumb to understand, but would love to know (as I may be upgrading to stage 4 and the ECU flash is like $2000). If I just upgrade the wastegates can I do without the flash?

Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Can you run 1.2-1.3+ boost on 91 octane or 94 methanol blend? Let me guess... if you have the right intercoolers!

Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My car comes from the factory with K24s and can run a sustained 1.2-1.3 bar boost out of the box.

I guess my point is that is seems that at least on my X50 car, the stock ECU does have the maps to deal with 1.2 BAR of boost. I doubt the factory ECU would allow such levels with improper fueling as it would lead to detonation and engine failure. Something as simple as a leaking boost hose (at the wastegate actuator) could bump boost levels to 1.2 BAR on a stock car inadvertently.

I can see in cars like the RX7 where the factory computer has a relatively early fuel cutoff when running higher boost an no maps to supply fuel, you need a modified ECU to provide that info and to up the fuel cutoff to a higher boost.

Porsche seems to have no such limitation except maybe the mentioned 1.3 BAR fuel cutoff. Logic would say that the factory ECU can and does handle the extra boost. Is the GIAC simply an expensive boost controller?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 03-30-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
SNCE U GUYS INSIST... THIS IS WHAT I DID THANKS TO KEVIN FROM ULTIMATE MOTORWERKS(DIAGRAM PROVIDED BY KEVIN)... USING HIS BILLET WASTEGATES..... PM ME AND ILL ANSWER FURTHER QUESTIONS...

click to view

Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Exactly. A metal "fish tank" valve can be used as a simple manual boost controller. The idea is to limit the boost that the system "sees" to a percentage of the actual boost being produced.

Remember the guy that was suggesting installing factory GT2 (X50) programming as a $75 upgrade to his turbo? It might not be as crazy as it once sounded. The X50 and GT2 cars come with higher boost curves programmed in.

I plan on doing some dyno runs in the next few months and will make a few runs on "stock" while monitoring A/F mixtures. This is too interesting.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ari
Exactly.I plan on doing some dyno runs in the next few months and will make a few runs on "stock" while monitoring A/F mixtures. This is too interesting.
I ALREADY HAD THIS IN MY HEAD 1 YEAR AGO... but it took me 3 stages and thousands of dollars to figure that out...
however, I do believe that u need a program to run more boost... k16s are good for 1 bar... and I can probably trick the ecu, and a 5 bar FPR if needed.. and be fine...
if u have a stage 3 with k24s, ur already at 1.2 bars.. so putting in stiffer wastegates will hold the boost better and u get to full boost alot quicker...
I done this experiment as well...

click to view

Old 03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
"if u have a stage 3 with k24s, ur already at 1.2 bars.. so putting in stiffer wastegates will hold the boost better and u get to full boost alot quicker..."

That's where I'm at. The stiffer springs are definitely the ticket....

Old 03-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ari
"if u have a stage 3 with k24s, ur already at 1.2 bars.. so putting in stiffer wastegates will hold the boost better and u get to full boost alot quicker..."

That's where I'm at. The stiffer springs are definitely the ticket....
but in order to take up a notch... u need better k24 hybrids...and then really good programing... it does matter... and even programs do matter... but at a 1 bar or so its all relative...
the trick with the wastegates is having the knowledge to know how to control them... I dont suggests aftermarket WGs on stock k16 by no means...
they do help on the k24s... but they really come into play on cars with 600+ HP...

click to view

Old 03-31-2006, 01:04 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
the other thing to consider is timing.

factory ecu is *very* conservative, and while i have no inside knowledge, that's where a lot of the power is coming from the basic 550 kits - upping the boost a bit & upping the timing a bit. add some octane, up the timing a bit more.

A/F & timing (when completely simplified) are the only 2 variables when programming an EFI system. stock on most cars run a bit rich so you can adjust the A/F up; timing is usually conservative so you can up it.

you can also increase spool by running leaner in the midrange - this, generally, won't result in combustion temps that induce detonation; but the hotter air will spin the turbos faster (hot air = molecules bouncing around more = faster air = spin that turbo faster.)

- chuck

Last edited by carendt242; 03-31-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Has anyone run (or had any luck with) running a boost controller on the stock ECU? No ECU mods, just the boost controller... Ideas, thoughts?

Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ruiner
Has anyone run (or had any luck with) running a boost controller on the stock ECU? No ECU mods, just the boost controller... Ideas, thoughts?
from my understanding, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, the ecu has built in boost maps. not sure how it would conflict w/ the boost controller, but it wouldn't be ideal.

regardless, you still wont' be optimized for A/F & timing as i'm sure the higher boost the ecu sees, the richer it gets. (porsche would *have* to do this for warranty work if a hose was bad or something and someone's porsche was seeing higher boost than normal.)

- chuck

Old 03-31-2006, 01:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by carendt242

regardless, you still wont' be optimized for A/F & timing as i'm sure the higher boost the ecu sees, the richer it gets. (porsche would *have* to do this for warranty work if a hose was bad or something and someone's porsche was seeing higher boost than normal.)

- chuck
yet its tru its timing and AFR.. to keep it simple... tahst need to be adjusted..
I wish we could buy a program and do it on our own... liek my evo8.. u buy a standalone.. plug it in... and go tuning...

click to view

Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
yet its tru its timing and AFR.. to keep it simple... tahst need to be adjusted..
I wish we could buy a program and do it on our own... liek my evo8.. u buy a standalone.. plug it in... and go tuning...
well, sir, if you want to be adventurous, there's no reason you couldn't use megasquirt:
http://www.megasquirt.info/

- chuck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does GIAC do?