996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

what does stage 4 mean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
You take someone like Manthey and Ruf to a lesser extent who rate their power using the conservative approach and it is no wonder many people say their ponies are bigger. What we really need is a standardized proceedure for measurement.
cjv, That's a good point. But the German tuners use DIN crank hp (because that's the same as the German ps)
So it's not the conservative approach! (1 PS = 0.9863201652997627 SAE hp) Maybe the secret lies in the different measurement and different dynos?

Many think that if you want to know the real hp, you have to use an engine dyno...okay then comes the power loss. But I've noticed that the cars (for example tuned BMW's in Scandinavia) which have done nice numbers in the engine dyno are doing very nice numbers in the 1/4 mile too.

But hey, of course USA is the place to be for maximum power The guys at EVOMS and Protomotive etc. have proven that! If I was rich and interested in crazy power, getting a 1000hp Porsche from US would sound like a good idea! (With our taxes I can forget it, a 997TT without options is here like $267k with todays exchange rates...lucky to have a Techart stage2 in the garage...)

Anyway some cars from German tuners aren't that slow despite the power figures being "only" at 500-700hp. 0-200km/h (0-125mph) goes under 10 seconds or in best cases under 9 seconds with street tires (Manthey K700). Too bad people don't drag race in Europe much (well I've never driven in a quarter mile myself even though Nürburgring etc. are familiar... ), that's one of the reasons why people are once in a while estimating all these different power figures because there aren't really 1/4 mile times available from here...well who cares imho!

Edit:
btw. about caring about power figures, one way is to estimate the power from a time slip...Just like a guy I know here in Finland does, he's at the moment maybe at 800hp...and a builder/owner/driver of the world's fastest completely street legal BMW, about 9.6xx@148mph ...pic here, a single turbo Supra behind and look at those tire marks :

Last edited by Kaizu; 04-01-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
I have to agree with Woodster on this one. Six hundred hp sounds great, but somehow you just can't use "crank" hp, so why even mention it. Most of the time when I talk about hp I mean rear wheel hp. Now a days, you just have to ask the question to obtain a meaningful answer.

In addition you have DIN, SAE Standard and SAE 1990 Revised. Without knowing what standard is being used these numbers can vary up to 20%. Taking it a bit further the numbers can vary depending on gear used and weather or not the measurement is "the best run" or the fourth or fifth consecutive run.

You take someone like Manthey and Ruf to a lesser extent who rate their power using the conservative approach and it is no wonder many people say their ponies are bigger. What we really need is a standardized proceedure for measurement.
It's funny everybody raves about Manthey and yet it's the same programer for both Manthey & PSI

Old 04-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
Reasoning: Stage 4 will not keep up with RUF 590 Nardo,
Yes, but if you have been around long enough, you know that most of RUF's products he has been very conservative with his ratings, to the point where the whp dynoes out at the package number ! (i.e. a 590 Nardo package has dynoed out at 590 whp or very close to it, see the RUF 560 that dynoed at 548 whp).

Old 04-01-2006, 02:37 PM
atan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud of
it was done by the famous sharkster
Originally Posted by ShankLMR
Stage 4 is the 4th level of tuning. You should find out who did the tuning on the GT2. I had an awd turbo with stage 4, and it put 512HP to the wheels. Thats just over 600HP. If you're buying a GT2, then you should ask questions on who did the tuning. A Stage 4 EVO is more productive than a Stage 4 FVD. (no flamming to FVD, just personal experience)

Shank

Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Neil
It's funny everybody raves about Manthey and yet it's the same programer for both Manthey & PSI
I just haven't read any test data of cars with PSI's more powerful packages, how they perform etc...There was some figures for the 540hp package but that isn't impressive anymore

But PSI gets all my respect! Race teams are great, they always have a solution for you if you are doing heavy tracking with a street car etc. etc.
As a a matter I'll try to contact Markus Palttala (cool and FAST guy, I might try to find some videos...he's the official driver of PSI motorsport and he's even got a university degree IIRC...so he's also the marketing director of PSI motorsport or their tuning department...can't remember) some time this year and talk a bit of these cars

Maybe you should start a topic of PSI GT2-R 2005 or something, that thing is out of this planet!

Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Im all for going streight for the kill... I went thru 4 stages already.. and after $35K worth of turbos, ecu, upgrades, I started all over again... unfortunately I was not as happy as I wanted to be... all I wanted was a 10 second car... I made some mistakes... I just wish tuners had some other way of measuring performance other then dyno figures... better yet.. another way...
for some strange reason there was hardly any difference between tuning kits when I went to the 1/4 track... I was surprised... even current tunning kits just dont produce the performance as they should at the track...
I know first hand its hard to run tts at the 1/4 track... but I still have yet to run a 10 second run...
how many 6speedsters are there that ran a 10.9 1/4 mile? I say 3.
for those who dont know.. a 600 RWHP car should break into the 10s.. but it doesnt... IM not a tuner so I dont have an answer...
our cars with XXXX stage are not as fast as we think... its our psychi messing with our thought process...
this goes to all tuners and not any particular one... simply my 3 years of observations... all I ever wanted to know is... what will it take to get my tt into the 10s... many answers but not enough results...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Im all for going streight for the kill... I went thru 4 stages already.. and after $35K worth of turbos, ecu, upgrades, I started all over again... unfortunately I was not as happy as I wanted to be... all I wanted was a 10 second car... I made some mistakes... I just wish tuners had some other way of measuring performance other then dyno figures... better yet.. another way...
for some strange reason there was hardly any difference between tuning kits when I went to the 1/4 track... I was surprised... even current tunning kits just dont produce the performance as they should at the track...
I know first hand its hard to run tts at the 1/4 track... but I still have yet to run a 10 second run...
how many 6speedsters are there that ran a 10.9 1/4 mile? I say 3.
for those who dont know.. a 600 RWHP car should break into the 10s.. but it doesnt... IM not a tuner so I dont have an answer...
our cars with XXXX stage are not as fast as we think... its our psychi messing with our thought process...
this goes to all tuners and not any particular one... simply my 3 years of observations... all I ever wanted to know is... what will it take to get my tt into the 10s... many answers but not enough results...
Mark,

Besides motor, you need to look at the clutch, gearing (you need to be at the top of certain gear at the end of the run), LSD's and tires.

Oh, you also need to flatten out the camber.

Last edited by cjv; 04-02-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:39 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Marski
Your car will be much more then just straight line killa. VRA 's car ran with F1 on road course.Talk about multiple dimensional platform.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:41 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kaizu
cjv, That's a good point. But the German tuners use DIN crank hp (because that's the same as the German ps)
So it's not the conservative approach! (1 PS = 0.9863201652997627 SAE hp) Maybe the secret lies in the different measurement and different dynos?

Many think that if you want to know the real hp, you have to use an engine dyno...okay then comes the power loss. But I've noticed that the cars (for example tuned BMW's in Scandinavia) which have done nice numbers in the engine dyno are doing very nice numbers in the 1/4 mile too.

But hey, of course USA is the place to be for maximum power The guys at EVOMS and Protomotive etc. have proven that! If I was rich and interested in crazy power, getting a 1000hp Porsche from US would sound like a good idea! (With our taxes I can forget it, a 997TT without options is here like $267k with todays exchange rates...lucky to have a Techart stage2 in the garage...)

Anyway some cars from German tuners aren't that slow despite the power figures being "only" at 500-700hp. 0-200km/h (0-125mph) goes under 10 seconds or in best cases under 9 seconds with street tires (Manthey K700). Too bad people don't drag race in Europe much (well I've never driven in a quarter mile myself even though Nürburgring etc. are familiar... ), that's one of the reasons why people are once in a while estimating all these different power figures because there aren't really 1/4 mile times available from here...well who cares imho!

Edit:
btw. about caring about power figures, one way is to estimate the power from a time slip...Just like a guy I know here in Finland does, he's at the moment maybe at 800hp...and a builder/owner/driver of the world's fastest completely street legal BMW, about 9.6xx@148mph ...pic here, a single turbo Supra behind and look at those tire marks :
Kaizu,

DIN is only about 1% inflated above the SAE Revised. I don't think you will find Manthey advertising his best dyno run. It will be an average of several consecutative runs or a run where the intercoolers have achieved total heat sink.

PS. I love the duo traction tire marks.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Mark,

Besides motor, you need to look at the clutch, gearing (you need to be at the top of certain gear at the end of the run), LSD's and tires.

Oh, you also need to flatten out the camber.
Agreed and taken care of

click to view

Old 04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I just wish tuners had some other way of measuring performance other then dyno figures...
I think the tuners aren't the problem, so much as a widely uninformed consumer. Most of the tuners on the board will agree with the following statement (I hope - correct me if I'm misguided): a dyno is a great tool to tune a particular engine/package, but what really counts is measurable performance on the street/track.

The problem is that a lot of guys are comparing tuners based on dyno readings, so the tuners have to play the game to get the business.

What impresses me is a time-slip and a trap speed. There are too many launch variables to care too much about ET (for me, anyway). In terms of performance benchmark, 100 km/h - 200 km/h (or 250 km/h), (in mph terms, 60-125 or 155) is a better indicator of power than a dyno reading, as it takes into account the dynamic effect of moving air, and the efficiency of the cooling system in real-world conditions, and eliminates the launch variable (unless of course you're fighting for traction at 100mph, which I know some of you are ). All that's left is the driver's ability to shift quickly.

Plus, all you need is a mile of deserted highway at night to do the runs (average of three or four runs in opposite directions would be nice). The gold standard measurement device costs less than a grand.

Also, although strip performance is nice, what you need to do to the car to break into 10's (in terms of getting a good launch) often compromises the ue of the car in every other way that we love our Porsches. And how often are you hitting it from a stop-light? If the answer to that is 'a lot', you're in the wrong vehicle. Porsches are great highway racers, but they're not designed to launch hard all the time.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
I agree PMac... I wihs tuners had time slips and videos for customers to see... taht way there will not be any surprises... I found out the hard way....

click to view

Old 04-02-2006, 04:33 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Did anyone actually answer the question, "What does stage four mean?"
I may have missed the answer and I apologize in advance. I am to assume that it is a TT with 550-600hp.
what I would like to know is HOW?
I think again assuming no internal mods. Just flash and whatever you can bolt on?
So then could someone break down the stage 1,2,3,4 stuff
Like ecu flash....stage one
intake and exhaust.......stage two?
headers
different turbos......stage four.
I really am not sure about the stages or does it go by the individual tuner?????

this way we could all be comparing apples to apples and using common terminology

TIA tom

Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Our stage 4 =600hp
Motronic Reprogramming
Gt3 Intake Manifold
Custom Air Intake Tubes
Conical Sport Air Filters
KKK 24/26 Turbo Chargers
Twin Air Induction System
GT2 Intercoolers
Fuel Pressure Regulators
PSI Exhaust System (100 Cell Catalytic Converters)

Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I have to agree with Woodster on this one. Six hundred hp sounds great, but somehow you just can't use "crank" hp, so why even mention it. Most of the time when I talk about hp I mean rear wheel hp. Now a days, you just have to ask the question to obtain a meaningful answer.

In addition you have DIN, SAE Standard and SAE 1990 Revised. Without knowing what standard is being used these numbers can vary up to 20%. Taking it a bit further the numbers can vary depending on gear used and weather or not the measurement is "the best run" or the fourth or fifth consecutive run.

Us tip guys can't use dynos and instead use weight, trap speed/ET and the rest...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what does stage 4 mean?