996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

rear spoiler actuators probs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:08 PM
benguss is infamous around these parts
rear spoiler actuators probs

My rear spoiler is driving me nuts, can any one help. When it actuates up the right goes up about an inch before the left one goes up, but when fully extended it's at a tilt. When you bring it down , the right actuator is the last to come to its stop. Can I bleed this system? I know the left actuator slaves off the right(as you look forward). A little oil on the end cap but nothing to really indicate failure. Also Can I just extend it and then pull the plug so it stays extended and then try to reset to light?

Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
SDboosted is infamous around these parts
Ha ha!! a true internet forum moment!

I had the exact problem with mine. I thought that i would bleed the left one (its max excursion was less). I wound up letting all the oil out by accident. So i had to the same to the right one.

Turns out that the hydraulic pistons are "unservicable" and must be replaced en bloc with the entire assembly.

not covered by the CPO (of course)

$1300

is your rear spoiler stock??

Old 04-03-2006, 02:40 PM
benguss is infamous around these parts
The spoiler is techart, This is what I thought, about the service and replacement. What a system!! Wouldn't 2 electric motors with adjustable limit switches be cheaper, lighter. All they've done(porsche) is to give business to aftermarket companies. Now for the hard part..convincing the O'l lady that without a new spoiler the car will be unstable at high speeds hence an upgraded rear spoiler!! Thanx for the quick response

Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 PM
allanshu is infamous around these parts
I had the same issue. The dealer had to replace the entire assembly. CPO covers 75% and my out of pocket expense was around $430. My spoiler was stock.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Faast996TT is infamous around these parts
It actually might not be the actuators. I just installed a Misha GT2 wing and had the same problem immediately after installing it. The stock wing worked just fine, 30 minutes before, so I knew it wasn't the actuators. It turns out the mounting points of the wing are off by millimeters, which is causing the actuators to get jammed. I actually had to raise/lower the wing by pressing the button repeatedly. There is a cure, though. You need to loosen very slightly the bolts that connect the actuators to the decklid. Then raise and lower the wing, and this should cure the "binding" of the pistons as they go up and down. Then, with the wing in the down position, re-tighten the bolts. This cured my problem, as the mounting position of the actuators just needed to be "realigned" slightly to free up the pistons. I had a friend help me, which made it much easier. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
if not i am selling my complete deck lid with all equipment.