996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Jacking up the Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Jacking up the Car

O.K. I just got back from Costco and bought a cool low profile jack (Thanks Ben - it looks awsome) and a couple of jack stands. I'm going to jack up the rear end of the car and tichten the waste gates 1 turn clockwise. I'm going to mark the nuts and bolts with some nail polish so I will have my starting point if I have to reverse the process.

What do I use for a jacking point and where do I put the jack stands?

Mike

Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 PM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
Can you document this with pics? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
O.K. I just got back from Costco and bought a cool low profile jack (Thanks Ben - it looks awsome) and a couple of jack stands. I'm going to jack up the rear end of the car and tichten the waste gates 1 turn clockwise. I'm going to mark the nuts and bolts with some nail polish so I will have my starting point if I have to reverse the process.

What do I use for a jacking point and where do I put the jack stands?

Mike
If you have a long enough jack.. you can actually get a hockey puck and jack the car up underneath the block. Go far back though and only a couple of jacks I know of (they're about 500 smackers) like the ones we have here work. Then just put the stands at the jack points either side. make sense?

Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks sharky. I have the car up in the air and jack stands in place. I've marked the threads and nuts so my starting point is know. Now for the 1 turn.... do I want to tighten (move the nut away from the end of the bolt/rod) or loosen (move the nut towards the end of the bolt/nut).

Looking forward to your reply.

Mike

Old 04-03-2006, 07:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Thanks sharky. I have the car up in the air and jack stands in place. I've marked the threads and nuts so my starting point is know. Now for the 1 turn.... do I want to tighten (move the nut away from the end of the bolt/rod) or loosen (move the nut towards the end of the bolt/nut).

Looking forward to your reply.

Mike
Cool OK so you want your waste gates to open later correct? Then you you want to leave a longer tail on the rod. The measurement you take is from the end of the thredded rod with the keeper removed. 13-14mm is a good measurement we go with The theory is to put more tension on the waste gate actuator.

The GT700 turbos have different actuators tho? The old GT640/700 turbos had different waste gates. Do you have waste gate controllers with the ring around it? Or?

Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Use a hand pressurizing pump with a gauge (mightyvac) and properly test them. It'll tell you at what PSI they open. Make sure both open at the same time. If you need to call.. we're here. 24-7 lol!

Old 04-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I think I have the older turbos. I'm going to tighten the nuts (making a longer tail on the rod) 1 turn. Not sure what you mean about the "ring around the waste gate controller".

Old 04-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Also that measurement I gave you is one we use for K24s and/or other stock type turbos. So I don't think it applies on yours The theory is the same tho.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks Sharky. I "tightened" both sides 1 full turn. When my boy goes to bed in an hour or so I will get a chance to test her out.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks Sharky. I "tightened" both sides 1 full turn. When my boy goes to bed in an hour or so I will get a chance to test her out.
My pleasure pal Now all you need is the cams and those intercoolers I wrote my name on a set of cores in Todd's office already

Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
1 hour to buy a jack & stands
40 min. figuring out what to use as a jack point (thanks Sharky)
30 min. figuring out what direction to turn the nuts (thanks Sharky)
10 min. to make the adjustment.

I now hold 1.2 bar.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
what jack did you get from costco? What was the price?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
My pleasure pal Now all you need is the cams and those intercoolers I wrote my name on a set of cores in Todd's office already
Thanks for the help Sharky. I've been low boosting ever since I purchased the GT640. FINALLY I'm in the ballpark with boost. I think I may give them another 1/2 twist another day.

If ANYONE would actually post some information on the intercoolers and cams and verify that there is actually a final version of the software, I could very well be in. I've been asking and waiting for a few weeks now while these Protomotive cars with thier 4.5" thick intercoolers are slamming deep into the 10's.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
what jack did you get from costco? What was the price?
I got the Torin Black Jack 3 ton service jack. Low profile, aluminum. Looks pretty racey!

199.00 C$