996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

60-130 MPH: A Better Performance Measurement Than The 1/4 Mile ET

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by variable
So, is it generally agreed then that 60-130 should be measured PASSING 60 at WOT? NOT starting WOT at 60? Or like Craig said, going WOT at 45 or so?
It would be very difficult to get your car to exactly 60, then punch it. Some would start at 58-59 mph -- others would start at 61-62 mph. These differences will diminish the accuracy of the measurements/comparisons and create undesired variables. Moreover, and perhaps more importantly, our speedos are NOT accurate and, even if we start at 60 mph according to our speedo, our actual speed is almost certainly not 60 mph . . . it is something more or less than 60 mph. Finally, if we want to compare our numbers against those measured by Car and Driver, we need to start at some mph below 60, so that we are WOT before we hit 60 mph.

The only way to eliminate the variables and ensure consistency in testing procedures is for everyone to start the test some where below 60 mph . . . it doesn't matter what speed you start at, so long as you are WOT and full boost at 60 mph.

You may want to play with what gear you start in. Starting in a lower gear may enable you to be at a higher rpm as you pass 60 mphs, whereas starting in a higher gear may eliminate a shift. Therefore, as Bill already observed, when posting times, one should include the gear they were in when they passed 60 mph.

Craig

Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tdf360
Guys, this is a great thread, and I agree 60-130 is a better gauge of real world performance than 0-60. One thing to remember that is vital to accurate measurements is to assure the road is level. Even roads that look level may not be. Run in both directions to determine accuracy of data.

If this was covered in a previous thread, my apologies, I don't have time this morning to read all of them.

Gary
Great point. Even a small incline or decline could throw off the data.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kaizu
60-130MPH is a good way to show the car's power.

Too bad it isn't comparable to 100km/h-200km/h here in Europe. That's like 62-125MPH.
Manthey did 5.4 seconds with their GT2 (685hp crank) and 5.5 seconds with their Turbo (claimed 550hp but I'm pretty sure it was more powerful kit like 700hp )...both times are from years ago from a magazine test.
(it was Autobild magazine in Germany...and now Manthey claims better times).
Kaizu
Based on some comparisons that I have done, I got 100-200kph to be about 0.9-1.2 seconds faster than a 60-130mph.. Just for quick reference I would take about 1 second as an average.

These times are from Sport Auto.. Some of them are 4 years old!! All cars per stock weight or close to it.

GEMBALLA GTR 750: 5.3 seconds 100-200kph (Sport Auto 2002)
The Manthey M700 turbo did 100-200kph in 6.1 seconds (Sport Auto 2004)
CGT 6.4 seconds 100-200kph (Sport Auto 2003)
RS Tuning GT2 542PS 7seconds 100-200kph (Sport Auto)

Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
You have to start below 60 for the results to be accurate. You also have to finish above 130 for it to be accurate. It just makes sense.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Jean,

You forgot about the 7 second M5 in your list...
I have played around with a stopwatch and analog speedo and the
accuracy is a joke. We did several runs last summer and there are just
too many variables in a non-AX22 run.
7 seconds would put you in some rare company,
read Craig's list of mods and then tell us your list of mods so we
can have a great time discussing the 7 second M5...It must be
gutted tubbed and supercharged.
MK

Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
anyone in so cal w/ an AX22 want to meet up?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Jean,

You forgot about the 7 second M5 in your list...
I have played around with a stopwatch and analog speedo and the
accuracy is a joke. We did several runs last summer and there are just
too many variables in a non-AX22 run.
7 seconds would put you in some rare company,
read Craig's list of mods and then tell us your list of mods so we
can have a great time discussing the 7 second M5...It must be
gutted tubbed and supercharged.
MK
It sorta is.......minus the gutted.
here is the build sheet.

http://www.discovery-automotive.com/...c_Content&id=4

Here you can see everything done to the car. I didn't realize some of you didn't know what car I was talking about.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phillym5
here is the build sheet.

Here you can see everything done to the car. I didn't realize some of you didn't know what car I was talking about.
Thats an impressive M5 Philly.

Craig

Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by phillym5
here is the build sheet.

I see that you are using a NX spray on the IC . . . do you think that is a worthwhile upgrade? How often do you fill/replace the tank?

Craig

Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
JETJOX is infamous around these parts
Philly,

That is very very nice! Have you dynoed it to it's full potential yet? By the way I noticed the builder using a heat gun on the flywheel? Perhaps heating the bolts?

Joe

Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Craig
I see that you are using a NX spray on the IC . . . do you think that is a worthwhile upgrade? How often do you fill/replace the tank?

Craig

I can notice a difference once the car gets heat soaked. It doesn't really do much if the air is cool outside, or if the engine is fairly cool. After a couple of runs on the highway, or after being stuck in traffic, it will basically just bump the car back up to the power it should be. It really doesn't seem to "add" any power, just gets the power back.

I really don't have to replace it very often. It only sprays if I turn the bottle on....and at wide open throttle which is fairly rare. Most of the time, the bottle isn't even in the car.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by JETJOX
Philly,

That is very very nice! Have you dynoed it to it's full potential yet? By the way I noticed the builder using a heat gun on the flywheel? Perhaps heating the bolts?

Joe

It has only been dynoed up to 6000 rpms.... that was for tuning before the motor was broken in fully. The claim then was 650 something at the wheels at 6000 rpm. I have yet to dyno it myself and see what the real numbers are. This spring it will be on the dyno foresure.
I also tried to run it at the strip, but the driveshaft(u joint) snapped just shifting into second........now it has has carbon fiber shaft in it. It is pretty damn fast, but has NO business drag racing. A civic will beat me from a stop. I just can't put the power down from a stop.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Josh,

Your M5 is crazy, what a beast! that was amazing that it only took 3.5 months to do the conversion.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Josh,

Your M5 is crazy, what a beast! that was amazing that it only took 3.5 months to do the conversion.

Actually. It took alot longer than that. It was like a year or something. I didn't have it done, I bought it off another party who had it done.

It is in DA right now getting some things done. Adding oil cooler, changing the rings...just getting ready for this spring. It will be back in my possesion in about 2 weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH: A Better Performance Measurement Than The 1/4 Mile ET