996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GSM phone interference with CDR-220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 PM
marvls is infamous around these parts
GSM phone interference with CDR-220

Had an 03 Boxster S and now have an 01 TT (formerly David's and thanks she's beautiful and fast). Some buzzing out of the stereo at the beginning of a phone call in the Boxster (CDR230) but awful buzzing with the older stereo in the TT. Any solutions like filters available for this problem?
Thanks,
Marv

Old 04-09-2006, 01:57 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
just put the phone away from the HU.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks, but there is a Parrot bluetooth unit installed by the HU but the phone was sitting on the passenger seat. Even putting my hand over the phone during a call decreased the buzz substantially. Anybody tried placing aluminum foil around the HU?

Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can always try it by wrapping different materials around the parrot unit, cell phone and HU to see if it helps. you need to isolate which device is causing interference with the HU. when i place my phone on seat, it's far enough. it makes noises when phone is in the cubby hole under the HU. the parrot bt maybe making your issue worse. did you install bt yourself? maybe ask a stereo installer too.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Shielding!

>>wrapping different materials<<

Different materials? A thin copper foil shield may be effective. Aluminum foil won't help muh if at all!

Cheers

R

Old 04-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Interference

Would anyone know if the interference is coming from the Bluetooth frequency or the phone frequency? I think it's the phone because the interference only occurs when a call is arriving/sent.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Livo69 is infamous around these parts
The buzzing does not come from bluetooth interference. It comes from the frequency of your cell phone. Most digital and gsm phones will interfere with speakers if the speakers were not shielded strong enough for that frequencey. I know my TT speakers do the buzzing noise, my computer speakers do it, my old telephone headset. Today's cell phones are running on much stronger frequencies than in the past and the old shielding cannot block the interference.

It definately is annoying!!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Blackberry is the noisiest of all. It even interferes when it's in the front trunk. Same in conference rooms buzzing those polycom conf spkrs.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:31 AM
True, true, gentlemen. Come to mention it, I get some buzzing if my phone is near the cheaper speakers on my office computer. So the solution is properly shielded speakers. Any suggestions? Antbody have experience with upgrading speakers and eliminating "the cell phone buzz"? Any brand names worth mentioning that will eliminate the noise AND give me better sound while I'm upgrading?

Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
whoa, not sure replacing spkr will solve ur problem. i think the hu is more likely. shielding your cell phone is problem a better and easier soln too. the direction of the phone has a lot to do with how much noise you get. if you point it away from the hu, you'll avoid much of the noises. definitely experient around w phone first before you start replacing things. i never have problem w even a blackberry if you point the device upward and 2 ft from hu.
it's usually onely when i put the phone in the cubby hole.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Will experiment, thanks. Foreseeable problem is that I would like to mount a recgarging cradle to the right of the console at about the level of the cubby. This will present a problem, I think. To shield the phone is only a temporary solution unles I can place some shielding in the console around the HU. Truly a PITA. BTW, the problem does not exist with my Moto V3, only with my fancy super deluxe Windows Mobile Wizard (Q-tek 9100) PDA phone.