996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Evo TT is now the Evo GT2!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Gilhart Racing is infamous around these parts
CJV, I didn't modify the AWD in any way. I actually enjoyed the AWD and was able to push the car pretty hard as a result of having the safety net of the AWD. I'm sure if you've gone this route with your car it has improved the AWD system. I really didn't have an understeer problem as many have with this car because of the ability to adjust spring rates, camber, toe, sway bar, bigger/grippier slicks, etc. Have you made the changes you mentioned and how do you like them?

Jean, You're right on the money with all your comments. In addition the ability to go to a taller tire in the rear will also be beneficial. Having to match the front and rear tire diameter's with the AWD keeps the rear tire with a fairly low profile. As you know the benefits of having a taller tire adds a larger surface for additional heat loss.

No secrets on the suspension. I actually purchased most of the GT2 parts from Ric Knab at Suncoast Motorsports and the performance parts came from Evolution Motorsports. They were both extremely helpful.

Most important part for the conversion as Jean mentioned is the LSD. If you don't add an LSD you're wasteing your money/time, all the above.

More detail on the suspension changes: GT2/3 wheel carriers, GT3RS lower control arms, GT3RS adjustable rear toe links, GT2/3 front sway bar, GT3R rear sway bar, Moton shocks, eibach springs( spring rates 1200-1500 depending on the track, Motorsport LSD, etc. With these items the ability to adjust your setup is unlimited much like that of a Cup car.

Unlike Sebring, I'll post a video of a lap at Road Atlanta to show you how the car runs/handles in 2wd.

Changes for Mid-O will be to run Dunlop 265/650/18 fronts and 300/660/18 rears. The 300's are equivalent to my current Pirelli 325/650/18 in width.

Rick

Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Rick,

I love what you have done with your car, so don't take this the wrong way. Would it have been cheaper just to buy a Cup Car to begin with?

Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
does a 997 cup car run in the same race as a GT2?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Buddy, Probably a dozen times I've asked that myself. I started converting the car to a street/track car and progressed to where it is today. It's kind of the same idea with Evolution and GIAC tuning, you always want a little more power.

I've ended up with a 996 Cup beater and fairly close to a 997 Cup beater depending on whose driving the 997 and the track. The car has really become a test for many different part manufacturers. The car was built by FABCAR out of Indy, using Kelly-Moss CF body panels, with a dose of suspension components from the Racer's Group, with the last parts coming from Farnbacher-Loles.

I plan on finishing the car up this fall/winter, after the racing season, with a trip to Kelly-Moss for some additional CF panels/nose/rear decklid/rear quarters/ etc.

Tom, In World Challenge GT, the GT2 and TT compete against 996 and 997 WC prepped Cup cars. In PCA I run GT1-R which is an unlimited HP class of turbocharged cars, whereas 996's and 997's run in GTC3 & GTC4 respectively. So, no, we're not in the same class but typically we're in the same race group, on the track at the same time.

In GT1-R it's typical to have a 700-800hp Porsche weighing 2500lbs or less on big slicks with huge wings and good down-force, that's what I'm up against and is very challenging for me.

Rick

Old 04-12-2006, 08:32 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
is the car still streetable to you?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Legally yes, it has Collector plates here in Ohio. However the clutch is like an on/off switch(full-race clutch). The interior is out of the car. No A/C or heat. CF would be bad in a wreck(splintering). The roll cage is probably not the best idea in a street car.

So yes, it would make one hell of a street car but be a little uncomfortable as a daily driver.

Rick

Old 04-12-2006, 09:06 PM
ExtinctM3 has a spectacular aura aboutExtinctM3 has a spectacular aura about
Awesome! If I knew you'd be at Road Atlanta I would have came and cheered you on. Damn.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Thanks Rick, great answer, thanks for taking the time. Great to here about the car, tracking my car is what I enjoy most, wish I could do what you do, awesome!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Next stop is the PCA Race at Mid-Ohio May 13-14, if anyone is in the area please feel free to stop by. I think I'll try and run the GT2 in the Sprint Race and an '88 930 in the Enduro.

Tom, Glad you're enjoying your X50 TT what a good street/track car. I have a '02 silver X50 TT that I use for the street but everytime I look at my race car I want to lower and stiffen the X50.

Rick

Old 04-13-2006, 08:38 AM
devious996TT is infamous around these parts
Nice Rick!!

sorry, this might be off topic.. but what rims are u running in ur AV... those look nice!!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:34 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
Rick,

So I take it you compete with the car in both the GT1-R and World Challenge GT series? If so, how does it do against the vipers/vettes in the World Challenge GT?

Old 04-13-2006, 04:03 PM
The rims in the AV are Champion. I needed to go to a more custom wheel for the track so now I'm using Forgelines. The Champions ended up on my street car.

I've not raced my car in WCGT yet because I haven't felt it capable of a top 5 finish. I hope to run it at the WCGT event in the fall at Road Atlanta if not sooner. For now I'm running the PCA events as tests for upcoming events. However, I'm finding out that the PCA events are a blast and typically there is little damage to cars compared to WCGT.

There are a couple of other teams that haven't been successful in finishing in the top 10 but with being able to lose the AWD things are looking brighter.

Also the prize money in WC is not that great considering how much you spend out of pocket. Most of my expenses are out of pocket at this point.

Rick

Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gilhart Racing
The rims in the AV are Champion. I needed to go to a more custom wheel for the track so now I'm using Forgelines. The Champions ended up on my street car.

I've not raced my car in WCGT yet because I haven't felt it capable of a top 5 finish. I hope to run it at the WCGT event in the fall at Road Atlanta if not sooner. For now I'm running the PCA events as tests for upcoming events. However, I'm finding out that the PCA events are a blast and typically there is little damage to cars compared to WCGT.

There are a couple of other teams that haven't been successful in finishing in the top 10 but with being able to lose the AWD things are looking brighter.

Also the prize money in WC is not that great considering how much you spend out of pocket. Most of my expenses are out of pocket at this point.

Rick
Thanks for the explanation. Yea the WCGT seems pretty hardcore. It's a fun event to watch, with the p-cars battling the vipers and vettes etc.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM
devious996TT is infamous around these parts
Hey Rick,

Are they the RG5B Champions?.. if you don't mind.. could u post a couple of pics with those rims... love em in that AV...thanks!

Old 04-14-2006, 08:14 AM
http://www.gilhartmotorsports.com/DSC00571.JPG

Try the above link. I believe they're the RG5's. I got them in 18 inch so I could mount slicks for the track.

Rick