996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Evo TT is now the Evo GT2!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Gilhart Racing is infamous around these parts
The Evo TT is now the Evo GT2!

After months of debating whether the Twin Turbo would be better running in AWD or 2wd the debate is over. The Evolution Motorsports/Gilhart Racing Porsche took on the GT1-R(unlimited HP) class as a GT2 at Road Atlanta's PCA Race. After 2 days of testing different setups the team came up with an excellent race car.

We threw several different changes at the car, some worked and some didn't, but the end result was a lighter-weight, better handling race car.

We didn't just pull the drive shaft for this event rather changed all necessary suspension components in order to make this car a true GT2 race car.

With the limited time we had left at Road Atlanta, one practice, a qualifier, and a sprint race, we were able to lay down some decent lap times. Q-Lap was 1:28.9, Race-Lap was a 1:29.1.

We were running 4th overall on lap 13 of 21 when a left rear tire failed ending our race. The tire failure occured exiting T1 at 100+ mph however the car was straight at the time and I drove it to the access road at the top of the hill. The Forgeline wheel was not damaged at all, thanks Forgeline.

All for now Mid-Ohio next month,
Rick

Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Nice Rick! I love the fact you are racing that beast, good luck at Mid Ohio!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
This is very cool info, thanks and good luck!

MK

Old 04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
great story and good luck.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Name:  Y 508.1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  210.1 KB
Name:  Y 233.1.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  145.1 KB
Here are a couple cool pics from Sebring.

Rick

Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Wow very cool man, goodluck

Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
Nicely done! So is this the same car as before, converted to a GT2? Can you go into more detail as to what changes were made? How much hp is the car running? Thanks!

Old 04-11-2006, 02:29 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Good luck in the upcoming race. I guess that you're pretty happy about the two wheel drive conversion. You need that Gt2 front bumper though.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Dirty Mac is infamous around these parts
Very cool. Do the mods change the understeering of the TT? Is the PSM still in tact?

Old 04-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Awesome guys-

So is it safe to say that you will be joining us for Speed GT this year?

Mid Ohio and Road Atlanta - Road America?

The turbo should do well at the big tracks....

Hope to see you there....

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 04-11-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Yes it's the same car as before but with all the necessary suspension changes/updates etc. Power is from the EVO Stage 4. The ceramic coated headers were the last power upgrade.

You're right, it's time for the TT bumper to say good-bye. It's hard to take off perfectly good parts however the time has come. We'll be taking it a little further than the GT-2 nose because of the need for brake cooling, etc.

Yes, the understeer is eliminated. It handles just like a GT2/3 street car. Steering response is very good. The PSM has been gone for awhile. The car can be compared to a 996 Cup car in terms of handling with 100+ more HP.

Fabryce, the risk vs. reward is not in my favor in today's crash 'em up WCGT fields. I love WC but have no desire in having someone else crash me out of a race. I'm perfectly happy(for now) developing this car and running the occassional PCA event with friends. I'm also running a Mazda RX-8 in the SCCA nationals with some friends out of SoCal, so I'm staying plenty busy. Good luck to you guys this year in WCGT.

Rick

Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Congrats Rick, keep it up, I love hearing about this car at the race track!!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gilhart Racing
After months of debating whether the Twin Turbo would be better running in AWD or 2wd the debate is over. The Evolution Motorsports/Gilhart Racing Porsche took on the GT1-R(unlimited HP) class as a GT2 at Road Atlanta's PCA Race. After 2 days of testing different setups the team came up with an excellent race car.

We threw several different changes at the car, some worked and some didn't, but the end result was a lighter-weight, better handling race car.

We didn't just pull the drive shaft for this event rather changed all necessary suspension components in order to make this car a true GT2 race car.

With the limited time we had left at Road Atlanta, one practice, a qualifier, and a sprint race, we were able to lay down some decent lap times. Q-Lap was 1:28.9, Race-Lap was a 1:29.1.

We were running 4th overall on lap 13 of 21 when a left rear tire failed ending our race. The tire failure occured exiting T1 at 100+ mph however the car was straight at the time and I drove it to the access road at the top of the hill. The Forgeline wheel was not damaged at all, thanks Forgeline.

All for now Mid-Ohio next month,
Rick
Did you guys try LSD front and rear along with modifying the viscus (sp) coupling. Or is it even allowed by the rules under which you are competing? I just can't believe it would be better without unless it is a very tight track.

Last edited by cjv; 04-11-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gilhart Racing
Yes it's the same car as before but with all the necessary suspension changes/updates etc. Power is from the EVO Stage 4. The ceramic coated headers were the last power upgrade.

You're right, it's time for the TT bumper to say good-bye. It's hard to take off perfectly good parts however the time has come. We'll be taking it a little further than the GT-2 nose because of the need for brake cooling, etc.

Yes, the understeer is eliminated. It handles just like a GT2/3 street car. Steering response is very good. The PSM has been gone for awhile. The car can be compared to a 996 Cup car in terms of handling with 100+ more HP.

Fabryce, the risk vs. reward is not in my favor in today's crash 'em up WCGT fields. I love WC but have no desire in having someone else crash me out of a race. I'm perfectly happy(for now) developing this car and running the occassional PCA event with friends. I'm also running a Mazda RX-8 in the SCCA nationals with some friends out of SoCal, so I'm staying plenty busy. Good luck to you guys this year in WCGT.

Rick

You mind sharing the specs of your new suspension set up.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:16 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations this is an excellent decision IMO. It is great to see the progress you are doing with this car, always a pleasure to see a turbo engine giving those Cup Cars a hard time

What I have found out from changing to 2WD is the following:

- Much better predictability on turn-in than the Porsche 4WD system
- By far sharper steering feel and "lighter" steering
- Weight loss of about 100lbs
- Faster exits in turns since you can throttle steer your way out more precisely at threshold
- You can adjust suspension more accurately.
- Most importantly, performance gains resulting from less friction losses across the transmission setup (differential, axles, torque tube, etc). These can be up to 10% of overall performance, and critically, less components subject to failure during a race.

All of the above make it an overall faster car around the track especially when matching the RWD to a race LSD.

Loss of grip on the track vs. the 4WD is marginal, not the same as in a drag race. You typically run these turbo engines at 1-1.1 Bar maximum on the track so the 4WD benefit is very limited in the dry.

Keep updating us on your changes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Evo TT is now the Evo GT2!