996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hauling Track Rims/Tires to the Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 PM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Hauling Track Rims/Tires to the Track

Let's face it. They aint gonna fit IN the car - no how.

A buddy of mine and I were discussing the possiblities. I can't get with the thought of a wheel trailer. We tossed around the idea of fabricating a roof rack to carry four laying flat. Anybody know if the set of roof rack interfaces are capable of supporting that kid of a load - or if anyone has sucessfully gone down that path before? I now it's gonna look weird - but it might be a functional solution.

Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:12 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
I’ve got you hooked up. I designed a system based upon the Porsche Tequipment roof transport sysetem. I then added an extruded aluminum frame to support and mount the tires. Here is what it looks like.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

OK, It looks a little funny but it works great. It has been tested to about 120 mph but then the front end started to lift a little so don’t go that fast. I have straps and locks for redundant security and everything stays tight. It takes about 15 minutes to mount and dismount everything. At the track, I usually found a buddy and stored it in his trailer for a few beers.

The rack cost $550 and the framing hardware and straps another $350. Not counting the design and assembly, a total of about $900. I am willing to sell it to you for $600 as I don’t think I’m going to run R compounds anymore. (That means I’ll be selling my Fikse track wheels soon as well). Let me know if you're are interested.

Last edited by ColorChange; 04-13-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:58 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
there is a guy with a set up like above in our area as well. Most common option is sooner or latter you will need a small trailer, plently on line. other options, I have my son drive my cayenne down with the race wheels inside. family is going down to track anyway. sometimes have one of my buddies put in there SUV or trailer. other option track i live within 100 or so miles I'll put my R compound street legal tires on at home and drive to track.

Most important thing is make sure you take your car to the track and enjoy!!

Old 04-16-2006, 05:44 PM
glpdx is infamous around these parts
That's great. I was just about ready to make you an offer... Then I remembered I have a Cabriolet.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Geeze - After a day a Sebring on PS2s - I CAN'T WAIT to see how much fun this car is on R-Compounds

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46894

I just am not sure I can get with either the over or behind options on hauling rims and it could rain ANY day here in FL so driving to and from is more than a bit iffy. I might just brake down and get a trailer for the car - or beg a ride for the track wheels on somebody elses rig.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:49 AM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
If you don't have a track buddy that trailers his car, make friend with one. I take my tires to a friend and have him put them on his trailer tire rack. With a cordless drill, braker bar and torque wrench I'm done in 30 minutes or less.

I just went to Summit Point this past Friday and had a great time. What made it great was we had a great group of guys running in Black that are all friends. I have some good footage, but I don't know where/how to post.

PS -If your bud's have a car trailer but no tire rack, offer to pay half if he takes your tires to the track for you. It won't cost you no more than $200 and it works great. If you don't know the regular track junkies, you need to join the PCA ( www.pca.org ) .

ColorChange - Pretty cool rack! How did you determine that the roof rack can handle 200lbs.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:54 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
agree with jsz. I also agree with you about the PS2's,when I use them on my GT2 12 inch wheels they really are incredible! You can certainly have as much fun as with the Cup tires on just not as fast.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I looked at the capacities and the construction, and concluded it looked OK. I also have speed tested it to 120mph with no issues except aero concerns.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:47 PM
I think it's a reasonable approach Tim. I'm just not sure I want to go that way. I'm sure I don't want to pull a tire trailer around.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 AM
I didn't want to hack holes in my techart rear bumper either. This was my only option, and it works. Not pretty, but it works.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I would rather have a trailer.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:54 PM
c4bliss is infamous around these partsc4bliss is infamous around these parts
how funny, i was just debating this very roof rack idea with my wife. I figured you could get the roof rack and mod it to carry and she shot me down. Get a trailer she says... and a motor home to pull your car.... and we can bring the dogs... you see where this is going?? damn...