996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PS2's high speed wallow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:38 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Kiko, I have SO2A's on my car and they came stock. Just like you, my car came with ROW stock and I have added the GT3 sway bar and the X73 engine mounts. I am more than happy with these tires and I always recommend them over the P-Zero that I had on my previous turbo. I have no experience with the PS2's so I couldn't throw my "two cents" worth. The Conti's, I tried in 19" wheels and I would not recommend them at all, given my kind of driving and yours. The Bridgstone's are also "N" rated so they do come with factory approval.

I never tried the Pirelli Rosso's on a Porsche, I have them on my '94 AMG E60 and they were better than the Michelin PS1's that I had before in nearly every way. You might want to ask someone who tried them on a turbo before you jump at them.

The Neova's I never tried at all. You're on your own if you decide to go with them.

PMac has reviewed the Kumho's that come in stock sizes on another thread. Refer to his comments.

I feel sorry for you having purchased these expensive Micheilens and found out that they don't suit your needs. Are they "N" rated at all? The thing to do is to sell them and make a choice on another tire.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Strange to hear the complaints about the PS2's. I've never tried but was under the inpression they were king of the hill? The ADVAN Neova AD07's were getting some significant support and reported to be almost as good as MPSC's in a thread not too long ago. Maybe they are the way to go???

Old 04-26-2006, 05:18 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zippy
Strange to hear the complaints about the PS2's. I've never tried but was under the inpression they were king of the hill? The ADVAN Neova AD07's were getting some significant support and reported to be almost as good as MPSC's in a thread not too long ago. Maybe they are the way to go???
Thats what I thought!!! But as you see there's some many guys here who complaint about the exact same thing high speed wallow making the car unstable at high speed turns. Otherwise in slower corners the tire is fine with plenty of grip but the high speed thing is UNBEARABLE, probably its because of the Turbo's weight and probably thats why Porsche hasn't rated them for the Turbo...

Bottomline is: YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE SAID SO!!! at least when others were raving about it!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kiko
Thats what I thought!!! But as you see there's some many guys here who complaint about the exact same thing high speed wallow making the car unstable at high speed turns. Otherwise in slower corners the tire is fine with plenty of grip but the high speed thing is UNBEARABLE, probably its because of the Turbo's weight and probably thats why Porsche hasn't rated them for the Turbo...

Bottomline is: YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE SAID SO!!! at least when others were raving about it!
LOL interesting to think about, but how could it be because of the turbo's weight?!? I know several cars who have themw ho weigh maybe 100lb less, similar or even more

Old 04-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
I'd check your tire pressures and perhaps experiment with different tire pressure settings considering this is not the original tire and the factory specs are more of an advisement rather than a requirement. I'd also check your alignment. Not all tires respond equally to the same alignment.
I have the PS2s on multiple cars and have had zero issues with them. I definitely can't say the same about Pirelli. I don't feel safe in a car with anything from that company. The same goes for Continental. On my GT2 I've driven at near 200mph speeds numerous times and the car is rock stable with the PS2s. The CGT also comes equipped with this tire.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Before blaming it on the tires. Make sure you have the right pressures ,redo the balance and aligment if necessary. These are for safety and is more important than suspension or power upgrades.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:54 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I switched from the Pzero's to M-PS2 when I still had the stock suspension. I honestly haven't tested either at "high speed". I just noticed immediately that the car felt "softer", seemed to lean more than usual around even slower corners. The PS2s are much quieter and maybe that's the tradeoff. I don't track the car, so I haven't had any traction problems. Since upgrading the suspension, the car is very tight. I wonder if it would be even tighter with Pzeros or something else back on there?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Hey Kiko I read a post of yours a while back and I think you said you were running way less than Porsche recommended pressures. Try 36-44 cold and let us know what you think.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm running 36 fr and 41rear, wheels balanced and alignment checked. I'll increase pressure to 44 on the rear and I'll drive some 500miles more (increasing the number of heat cycles) before deciding but I'm pretty sure I won't get used to the soft side walls feeling... I wish these tires had the stiff carcass the P-Zeros had because the PS2's are WAY better on everything else (specially in the wet). Probably the Advan AD07 is the tire I'm looking for as some say its between the PS2 and the PS Cup...

Old 04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
What size PS2's did you get? Are they N-rated? If not, maybe that's why they wallow?

Also, check out this review, very comprehensive, although I question the Conti's placing so high!
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf

Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KJM3

Also, check out this review, very comprehensive, although I question the Conti's placing so high!
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

It is because of the silly way that they rated them. But, if you read the article in reference to the Conti's:

On dry surfaces, the Conti never rose above third from last among 11 tires. It felt soft and imprecise, two qualities not in the vocabularies of performance tires. Geswein grouped it with the other "dull and disconnected" tires.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by KJM3
What size PS2's did you get? Are they N-rated? If not, maybe that's why they wallow?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf
I got 295/30 18 N-rated on the rear and tried BOTH 235/40 18 N-rated and 225/40 18 XL (extraload) not N-rated. The ABS gets messed up with the 235's... so I bought a set of 225's but not N-rated since there is no N-rated on the correct size (225) but according to Tire Rack people the compund is the same but the thesidewalls are even stiffer on the XL's since the load index is 91 vs 87 on the N-rated...

Today I called Yokohama and guess what - They're not selling Advan AD07's over here! - Can you believe this???

What other tire has the Pirelli's stiff side walls and the PS2's quality? DAMN!!!

Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Have you tried increasing rear tire pressure? The rear weight bias puts a lot of load on the rear tires especially under yaw (on throttle liftoff and braking) in turns.

Not likely to be felt on highway though.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kiko
I got 295/30 18 N-rated on the rear and tried BOTH 235/40 18 N-rated and 225/40 18 XL (extraload) not N-rated. The ABS gets messed up with the 235's... so I bought a set of 225's but not N-rated since there is no N-rated on the correct size (225) but according to Tire Rack people the compund is the same but the thesidewalls are even stiffer on the XL's since the load index is 91 vs 87 on the N-rated...

Today I called Yokohama and guess what - They're not selling Advan AD07's over here! - Can you believe this???

What other tire has the Pirelli's stiff side walls and the PS2's quality? DAMN!!!
Damn, you've tried them all!!!

The only thing I would suggest is tire pressures and I would try the 235/40-18 N-Rated (GT2) and the 315/30-18 N-Rated (GT2). That way the ABS won't get messed up and the car SHOULD drive like a GT2 would at high speed.

- KJ

Old 04-28-2006, 09:34 AM
The 315's would be too wide for theTurbo's rim magnifying the problem even more.
After increasing the rear's tire pressure and driving the crap out of them on a twisty highway for 100miles or so they feel better to the point I wouldn't consider them dangerous at high speed anymore as someone said they would. Actually they even grip better, I guess it has to do with heat cycles and chemicals in tire bedding in just like pads. I'll keep you all posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PS2's high speed wallow