996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PS2's high speed wallow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:28 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
PS2's high speed wallow

I took the P-Zeros off and fitted a set of PS2's...well, after 150miles the car still feels unstable at high speed as if the suspension was worn out! It certainly didn't happen with the Pirelli's... Is it getting better after a few heat cycles? Or are the sides too soft? If it doesn't go away I'll have to remove them... Has anyone here felt the same?

Old 04-25-2006, 10:08 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
You might try higher or lower air pressures. Also check the rear toe-in. PS2's do have very soft sidewalls.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Are you sure they're properly balanced? and it might be worth getting an alignment done.

I've gone through two sets of PS2's, including track work, and some very high speed (well, not VRAlex high, but throw-me-in-jail high) runs, and never had a problem, other than short tread life.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
It's not the tires Kiko...if you are running the stock suspension, its that, I had the same thing at speeds over 140 MPH, changed to PSS9's and it made a world of difference. I am also changing the A arm bushings and some to sold mounts (Cary E) to tighten things up some more...it's a work in progress. The stock suspension is a disgrace in these cars!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
VRAlexander
I had the same experience...It is the tire...

Old 04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I recently changed my zero's to PS2s and thought the same thing. Thought i was imagining it, but the car did feel looser. it seemed to improve, but then I switched to JIC Cross suspension and she is tight as hell! Not sure I'll go with the PS2's again, they seem softer or something.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Ah ha! Since I have not driven any other 996s, I have nothing to compare it to BUT, When I bought my TT, I had Pirelli Rosso's on it and everything felt fine.....then when I put the PS 2's on it .....it has felt kinda jumpy ever since....like when I am doing 90 on a long sweeping corner....feels jumpy......kinda twitchy.....anything BUT confidence inspiring.......hope it's not the tires since I just ordered another set..........

Chris

Old 04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
There is no question that the MPS'2 are more compliant than the P zero's as an example. MPS'2 in conjunction with an upgraded suspension package transforms the car into a much tighter setup.

I agree 100% with the statements re the twitchyness at the back end at high speeds. It was the same with my original P Zeros.

This subject has been covered extensively by others on the board, it's really too bad the search function cannot recall this subject.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
The car's suspension is stock but RoW stock not US stock and the thing is the WAS FINE immediately before fitting these tires!!! If they don't improve, I'll take' em off and buy a set of Neova's or some Bridgestone S0-2's N-rated...

How can everyone rave about these tires if they're walls are SOOO soft???

A sports tire should have stiff sidewalls for maximum precision just like R-Compounds just like the P-Zeros

Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Listen man, same thing happened on my m3 when i switched to Bridgestone S03's, hated the bouncy feeling at highway's speeds and felt unstable changing lanes, my car had a fully setup track suspension too.. After they wore in, they got alot better!

Last edited by iLLM3; 04-25-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
topspn is infamous around these parts
Same for me switching from SO2's to PS2's, but the tradeoff is that they are MUCH quieter and more comfortable for daily driving.

Regards

Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 PM
It seems that now I mention it everyone complains about PS2's how come no one said so on all the "PS2's Rule" threads? Come on guys! I provide my input here about all my experiences and come here to read the same from others and on this matter I GOT DUPED! i just lost $1700...

Well, from all of you that feel the same I do about the PS2's... What should I buy now (except P-zero's)? S0-2's n-rated or Advan neova AD07's?

Old 04-25-2006, 05:22 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kiko
It seems that now I mention it everyone complains about PS2's how come no one said so on all the "PS2's Rule" threads? Come on guys! I provide my input here about all my experiences and come here to read the same from others and on this matter I GOT DUPED! i just lost $1700...

Well, from all of you that feel the same I do about the PS2's... What should I buy now (except P-zero's)? S0-2's n-rated or Advan neova AD07's?
Conti-sports? Only reason is because they have a much thinner sidewall, less body and tire flex that way!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Funny, I have noticed this as well. I went from stock 18" wheels and Conti sports in stock size to the 19" Iforged and 315 PS2's. I thought that do to the fact that I had a 4" lip, it would flex and the handling would obviously deteriorate. But the more I drove I started to think it was the tires. Everyone shot down the conti's, PS2's all the way. I took turns at 125mph(in mexico ) that I now take at about 90-100mph(in mexico ). I will have to drive on them more to really confirm this and get used to them, but with people now complaining I guess we all can't be wrong .

Old 04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Rolo is hitting 158 on the back straight at Road Atlanta in his GT3 and he has PS2 also. No gripes from him. May be different on lighter GT3. I have PS2 on my turbo and have never noticed anything weird but I may not be hitting the speeds you are talking about. 135 or so is all I have done so it may be different. All I know is I hated my spuare Pirrelli's so I may be biased. My pss9 is set at 4front and 3 rear so I can even go stiffer. Good luck sorting it out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PS2's high speed wallow