996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

IForged: Comparable quality to HRE and Kinesis?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:15 PM
RobbieX50 is infamous around these parts
IForged: Comparable quality to HRE and Kinesis?

Hey guys,

I bought another 996 turbo, since my dealer said I should not expect to see my GT3 until next year. I plan to install PSS9s and the GT700 kit.

I also want to get 19" wheels and have considered the IForged wheels. They look great and the prices are better than the other high line wheels. Are the IForged wheels just as good quality as HREs, BBS and Kinesis?

I read on another forum that they were not recommended for hard track use, but are fine on the street. Is this true? I don't plan to road race the car, but I plan drag race it occassionally and the car will be making a lot more hp than stock.

Are these rumors valid or just BS?

Old 04-28-2006, 07:21 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
I just ordered 19 Iforged Essens. I think they have great quality and have talked to a few guys who agree. from what I understand they are using the sme company who finishes HRE's so they are top notch. I should have them in a few weeks. In regard to racing...keep your stock 18's for that..then run the 19's for a little bling...
JB

Old 04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
NYSEGuy is infamous around these parts
I ran em for a little over a year on my 996 and was more than happy with them! Only thing that sucks, and you'll find this on any reverse lipped wheel is that the channel behind the face, when it rains hard, collects water, and can cause some serious vibration. In the dry though, it's no problem at all!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
No they do not from the ones I have seen. And having owned both, HRE certainly does not match the quality of Kinesis.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by NYSEGuy
Only thing that sucks, and you'll find this on any reverse lipped wheel is that the channel behind the face, when it rains hard, collects water, and can cause some serious vibration. l!
I'd avoid ANY wheel that is designed so poorly to let a AWD car be a safety hazard in a rainstorm. Cargraphics for example has the same design, but with ducting to let water out.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Josh
And having owned both, HRE certainly does not match the quality of Kinesis.
To echo Josh, HRE and Iforged arent in the same ballpark quality-wise as Kinesis, Fikse, and BBS.

That said, Iforged and HRE use the same rim-halfs with different centers, so its realtively safe to assume they are similar in quality.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Josh
No they do not from the ones I have seen. And having owned both, HRE certainly does not match the quality of Kinesis.
Josh,

How much lower in quality are IForged wheels in comparison to BBS and Kinesis? What are the main differences? Are they structurally weaker? Most importantly, are they safe for the rigors of high speed use and track duty?

HRE and IForged are not cheap $$ wheels, so I am surpised of the inferiority to other high end brands.

Thanks
Rob

Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Shark01
I'd avoid ANY wheel that is designed so poorly to let a AWD car be a safety hazard in a rainstorm. Cargraphics for example has the same design, but with ducting to let water out.
Does this problem afflict all IForged wheels? Personally, it is not an issue for me, since the car is never driven in foul weather, but I would like to know of any inferior design flaws. Is this as serious as you make it out to be?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeatles
I just ordered 19 Iforged Essens. I think they have great quality and have talked to a few guys who agree. from what I understand they are using the sme company who finishes HRE's so they are top notch. I should have them in a few weeks. In regard to racing...keep your stock 18's for that..then run the 19's for a little bling...
JB
Thanks JB.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by NYSEGuy
I ran em for a little over a year on my 996 and was more than happy with them! Only thing that sucks, and you'll find this on any reverse lipped wheel is that the channel behind the face, when it rains hard, collects water, and can cause some serious vibration. In the dry though, it's no problem at all!
Would you buy them again?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
To echo Josh, HRE and Iforged arent in the same ballpark quality-wise as Kinesis, Fikse, and BBS.

That said, Iforged and HRE use the same rim-halfs with different centers, so its realtively safe to assume they are similar in quality.
Seriously, how much better quality and sronger is a BBS wheel compared to IForged and HREs? What makes the others so much better?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:16 AM
Dave@EFI is infamous around these partsDave@EFI is infamous around these parts
I've run iForged for the past 4 years or so on all my cars. If all goes as planned with the ride I'm looking at, I am considering Cargraphics, OZ Superleggras, Work VS-XX's, and BBS LM's. Might be time for something different. I can attest to the fact that water does build up in the inner barrels and getting to the air stem on the new wider lip'd forgings is a *****!

Old 04-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Daggie is infamous around these parts
I've got iForged Essen in 8.5x19 and 11x19 on my Boxster and I'm very happy with the quality. I imported them from the US myself, because I adore their look. (and I can get Cargraphic from the Cargraphic factory in a couple hours drive, for WAY less money.)

In Europe I see BBS Le Mans practically every day ... and the "finishing" of the wheelcenters is less good imho. By that I mean that on edges, side (and the none-visible side of the center) the iForged's look better finished. Maybe this is because iForged's are forged and BBS are not (well .. some are, but Le Mans are not), I'm not sure bout that tough.

If you're building a true track-car, I'd go for BBS Motorsport wheels

I haven't noticed any "rain-reverse lip"-problems on the iForged and I've driven in the rain ...

Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 AM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RobbieX50
Josh,

How much lower in quality are IForged wheels in comparison to BBS and Kinesis? What are the main differences? Are they structurally weaker? Most importantly, are they safe for the rigors of high speed use and track duty?

HRE and IForged are not cheap $$ wheels, so I am surpised of the inferiority to other high end brands.

Thanks
Rob

For a mass produced wheel, I'd say the BBS LM is overall the highest quality and most durable rim I have both seen and owned. I had one of the first sets in the country on my M3 before the big craze for them and currently have a set on my M5 daily driver. They are definitely my number one wheel of choice before I'd consider something custom like Kinesis, hands down. I've owned a set of HRE 540s which came from the factory out of round. While HRE does have very professional customer service, which you'll likely need if you own a set, the experience of my friends that own them has ranged from multiple instances of cracked spokes on regular street driving and the complete inability to hold air for any appreciable amount of time. IForged are actually one of the few rims I have not owned, but have seen a fair amount of them. Though the wheel barrels are shared with HRE, I'd say the overall quality of the rim and hardware is roughly a short step below that of HRE. To be honest, they'd never be an option for me. I am not impressed. There are far nicer options out there for a car like a 911 Turbo. Subjectively, I don't find any of their designs to be attractive at all. I think they are a failed attempt at trying to emulate HRE designs. Style is a personal preference though.
Kinesis on the other hand, much like a fine time piece, you really need to see to appreciate their quality. It is something hard to convey unless you see them. The assembly, hardware, fit and finish and overall look and feel of this wheel brand is, in my personal opinion, a cut above any other wheel I have seen or owned. Period.
In terms of track use, quite frankly, don't expect to be taken seriously if you have HREs or IForged wheels on your car. I would be lying if I told you I haven't heard race shops laugh at people who intended to run them at the track. I personally do not think either would hold up well in that environment, especially their wheel barrels.
That is my thoughts based upon my personal experience. I hope that helps.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Chuck_H is infamous around these parts
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...&postid=322919

edit: And why is it a safety issue to have rims that hold water on the inside? I had a set like that on my last car, granted it was rear wheel drive and never had a problem in the rain. I will say though i hated the wheels cause when i washed it water would sit back there and mix with brake dust and make a mess as soon as you moved the car. So i would not recommend wheels like that just because they became pain to keep clean.

Last edited by Chuck_H; 04-29-2006 at 08:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IForged: Comparable quality to HRE and Kinesis?