996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Detailer Stage 4 Gt VS Orbit Racing 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 08:33 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Good thread. Nice Ken, love the technical approach, and nice volly Stephan.

Duane Damnn as in ... see ya! Like the vid.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Andrew708
Originally posted by KPV
Duane,
Are you running wheel spacers?
ken.. i am!!

Old 12-21-2003, 08:37 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
A,
What size, what kind, where did you get them?

Old 12-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Andrew708
Ken..in order to fit the Ruf wheels on you need the spacers...you can call asgar at ruf,...i will try to get the specs for you..

Old 12-21-2003, 09:04 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I have a set at the shop, I can measure in the moring if you would like me to.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:06 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
S,
Please measure and call me on my cell before 10:30am.
Thanks.

Old 12-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Hammann, I really dont understand, and am frankly amused at you quoting me for something I never said....

RS
Ryan, while we're on the subject of misquoting, let's clarify a bit. Here is an instance of you touting how much you love GIAC:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...c&pagenumber=1

and how about this one:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...c&pagenumber=3

Where you said you were "glad" I prefaced my praise for Protomotive and Wilber with "IMHO." So I didn't misquote you, I merely inferred your love for GIAC after reading your posts.

And where in the hell did you come up with the silly notion that my R&D cost $200,000? You must have me mistaken with Chad.

FYI, my car was running the Garrett ball bearing turbos even before cjv embarked on his project.

And geez, tell me Ryan, how many times has my car been back and forth to Protomotive? You say ten dozen times? That would be 120 times then, right?

You must know something that I don't, because the car sure as hell has spent less time in the shop than Buddy's, CJV's, or most tuned Porsches I know. The only problem that my car has had were cracked headers due to the weight of the wastegates against the headers. This was a $400 fix and it hasn't happened again. The only other problems were warranty related and typical of '01 model cars. In the very beginning, the car spent 9 months at Protomotive getting the system developed-- this was back in '01, when NO ONE had Garrett turbo packages for 996TT. Since then, the car had only been back to Protomotive for software adjustments such as turning up the boost to 1.2 bar from 1.0 bar or changing the throttle map for a little less turbo lag. The car ran very healthy in between those visits.

You can call McKenna Porsche here in So. Cal if you'd like... my service writer is Rick West and the service manager is Brian Lewey. Why don't you ask them how reliable my car has been? It has been quite trouble-free.

Oh, I know what it is, you must be getting your information (or misinformation) from Matt @ Meridian!

And how many problems did I have along the way, would you like to point them out for me, I must have forgotten (I could sure use a reminder for my tax write offs this year)? I commute with this car to work at least half the week, and I drive it quite briskly. You can ask Watt or Deanger how I drive. I may not be as good as Cort, but don't think you're the only good driver out there. I probably work my car harder than yours on any given day, perhaps except one of your track days, which I also do.

If you think you and your car are so bad ***, then let's run! I will be at the MKM Open Road Race events this year if you'd like to join us. But I wouldn't place a wager if I were you.

Also, I never told you to ask Duane how your car compares against mine, and I don't appreciate you fabricating facts and misquoting me. Frankly, I am curious to know how his car compares against mine, but your car doesn't really interest me much. Sorry, and no offense.

You can hate on me and my car all you want, but I have the 10 second time that was witnessed by many... do you?

The time difference between the Cargraphic car, my car, the By Design car, and Sharky's car were all very, very close. Cort also did one lap less in my car than the others... and he was getting progressively faster on each lap until he seemed to lose control on the last lap and just brought it in. You have to keep in mind, we're talking tenths of a second on a handling course. Cort said the difference was that the Cargraphic car had a lot of downforce generated with its extensive aerokit, whereas my front lip was completely destroyed and didn't generate much downforce at all. In addition, my car is running the older H&R coilover system, the Cargraphic car is using a double spring H&R competition coilover system which is superior.

If you know anything about the lap that was run at Buttonwillow, it is not a course that rewards big power. If the cars were run at Willow Springs, the results would have been different.

Finally, you should be glad to know that Protomotive can build you a system like mine for under $40K. Yep, they are offering a year-end special... 80% off their normal MSRP of $200K. I am glad you think my car has that much invested into it. If I told you how much Wilber and I actually invested (in pure $$$) in the car, you would be very jealous... believe me!

For someone who has never seen my car or even attended the Shooutout, you sure seem to know a lot about my little blue car.

And of course I am promoting Protomotive, I am one very happy customer!

Last edited by Hamann7; 12-22-2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:35 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Wow, it looked like a severe butt-kicking! I know Andrew's car is pretty fast and you guys should get a stock Turbo to run so that we have a better frame of reference between the three. Anybody down there with a stock car to make more vids?

Old 12-22-2003, 04:40 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
"In the very beginning, the car spent 9 months at Protomotive getting the system developed-- this was back in '01, when NO ONE had Garrett turbo packages for 996TT. "

Case in point.
And you only got 10.7 in the 1/4? Sorry to hear that.

Oh, and re read those links....you did misquote me. There was a tone implied with what I said, but apparently, you interpreted it wrong.....not your first time.

"If you think you and your car are so bad ***, then let's run! I will be at the MKM Open Road Race events this year if you'd like to join us. But I wouldn't place a wager if I were you." You can hate on me and my car all you want, but I have the 10 second time that was witnessed by many... do you?

Actually I'll place a wager that your car returns on a flat bed.

Now before this turns in to a pissing contest, I just want to make it clear that I am responding to your immature tone behind the posts that imply "My car did 10's, does yours" "You think GIAC is the best, now you see that wilber and I are numba 1 with protomotive"

I have nothing against protomotive, and really can't comment much, except that they're a tad too far for me. Perhaps if I was in CA, I would be the first in line for their product.

So it seems like you have somthing to prove with this discovery that a professional driver did 10's in your car.

It seems like you are also DEFENDING protomotive unnessecarily when there is nothing to defend against. Who's badgering them.

I have my reasons for choosing GIAC, and you have your reasons for chosing Protomotive. Leave it at that.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:45 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Red Devil
Wow, it looked like a severe butt-kicking! I know Andrew's car is pretty fast and you guys should get a stock Turbo to run so that we have a better frame of reference between the three. Anybody down there with a stock car to make more vids?
Yes, I agree....you guys should get AMGETR and a stock TT and compare.

If Andrew is Running the Stage IV Setup, What is Duane's? Custom Stage V? It would seem to be the case based on how easily and hard he pulled away.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:33 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
After watching that video... I'm staying far away from the "Yellow Beast"....

Last edited by Gary (Fl); 12-22-2003 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:10 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Duane,

What turbo's are you running? Have you dyno'd the car? That thing is fast! AWESOME!

Old 12-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts

Last edited by Hamann7; 12-22-2003 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:09 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Kevin
Buddy;

My large Zero Clearance.. Can we say massive amounts of air. They flow as much as TO4's with instant spooling.. You can see by the videos how it launches against Andrews K24's...
So if I go with the zero clearance turbos....which ecu would I have to go with? Also, what about internals....would I need to change anything?

Damn you guys...i can only blame you for my insane addiction!

My wife already thinks im crazy and is trying to put her foot down!

Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
What's all the fuss about?!?! You all know you can't handle the monkeytronic anyways...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detailer Stage 4 Gt VS Orbit Racing 996 TT