996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Detailer Stage 4 Gt VS Orbit Racing 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 12:24 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
HUH???

Old 12-22-2003, 12:29 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
What's all the fuss about?!?! You all know you can't handle the monkeytronic anyways...
Nevermind...at first I thought that was directed toward me. LOL!

I will agree that the Monkeytronic will put my car away right now...

My future Mods...TBD

Old 12-22-2003, 01:51 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Kevin, are rods a necessity with the Stage IV GT? I think at 565RWHP, the crank rating is just about there at 650. Is the crank of a GT2 similar to the 996TT?

Old 12-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Andrew708
There was no spankin!!

For all you guys out there...There was no spankin,and you need to know that Duanes car has more power than mine and he only pulls in third gear,and if i get out on him he will need to reel me in..the problem is that duanes car cant hook up and i feel that i would probably win the 1/4 but after that its lights out.....All in all we had a great time and both of our cars are really fast...Here comes "zero clearence"!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2003, 03:32 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Wow - just read thorugh this whole thread and DAMN! So much anger...

Old 12-22-2003, 07:30 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Umm Kevin, can you be a little more specific? J/K

You know what, I think Stage 4GT without the race gas program is looking a lot more attractive now.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:30 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Re: There was no spankin!!

Originally posted by Detailer708
For all you guys out there...There was no spankin,and you need to know that Duanes car has more power than mine and he only pulls in third gear,and if i get out on him he will need to reel me in..the problem is that duanes car cant hook up and i feel that i would probably win the 1/4 but after that its lights out.....All in all we had a great time and both of our cars are really fast...Here comes "zero clearence"!!!!!!!!!
You know you like the spanking, Monkey Boy!
I just saw the other video with Darren in Duane's car and it looks like you spanked him. Something's not right here as a 175 lb person (350lb swing) should not equate to what we witnessed on the videos. If it is, then the best mod for me is going on a diet.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:31 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Okay,

Kevin, Stephen, Todd and anyone else who knows and cares to answer.

Since I have already invested so much in this car what should I be doing to insure my engine doesn't go

BOOM!

Obviously the better Rods, Kevin mentioned the Crank what about the Pistons themselves?? Also, can you guys give me a ballpark figure as to what this will all cost my very depleted bank account.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2003, 06:45 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin
[B]
With the 993 coming of age Porsche felt that it needed to lose weight in the rotating assy. They did this by cheaping out in the rods and crank department. Here, here, the measurement from 930 days were 17.80mm rod bearing widths cut down to 14.60mm. The rods were compromised in strength to accommodate the diet.

Kevin,

Well said. To my knowledge, Porsche cheaped out when they came out with the 3.0 in 78.

p.s. PorschePHD, I do like your approach / thought process
regarding 'upgrades'.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:53 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Boy I wish I could add to this but I can't. Please keep up this excellent thread. I am learning!
Thanks Kevin and others.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally posted by buddyg
Okay,

Kevin, Stephen, Todd and anyone else who knows and cares to answer.

Since I have already invested so much in this car what should I be doing to insure my engine doesn't go

BOOM!

Obviously the better Rods, Kevin mentioned the Crank what about the Pistons themselves?? Also, can you guys give me a ballpark figure as to what this will all cost my very depleted bank account.

Thanks!
The 993TT crank has proven itself to be very strong. In fact the 993TT and the 996TT share most of the same technology on the bottom end. We have built an obscene amount of power with the 993TT bottom end with only some minor changes. The pistons are fine. Besides replacing the rods and rod hardware, the next most important aspect in keeping the motor from going BOOM is proper fueling and proper tuning

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Rods are truly the key ingredient to making obscene HP become a reliable factor in the car. The crank while is nice to have the wider bearing journals is not in the same league of necessity as the updated rods or as I have said in the past proper bolts. As many of you know it takes 50+ hours to go into a motor and split the case. So while you are in there lets do ALL we can to enhance the heart of the motor. The nice thing is the GT3 oil pump is a heck of an upgrade and offers better pickup as there are two going into the pump. The cost is not that much more if any over a 964 pump. AKA stocker.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Man I love this pump. Show and tell time...Notice the standard pickup as indicated by the screen. Now look at the bottom of the bump. That little billet plate is a second pick up to avoid sucking foaming oil that may be caused by air or movement in the case. FWIW the GTI had three pick ups. They are not reasonably priced and the GT3 pump has proven to be a real gem.

Old 12-25-2003, 07:19 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Revisiting the turbo and GT3 crank issue. Unless I am missing something, they are the same Porsche part number.

Old 12-25-2003, 07:29 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
GT1 three stage oil pump. There is a difference. The GT3 pump shown above is about $750.00 and the GT1 pump is about $4,000.00. Both require machining to the case.

Last edited by cjv; 12-25-2003 at 07:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detailer Stage 4 Gt VS Orbit Racing 996 TT