996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Newbie question...but what exactly is RUF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
going back to the original thread and how some guys beat up Birthboy...
You guys, I spoke to Girthboy just when he purchased his car.. and he authentically asked streight up honest questions... lieks whats Dvs, WGs, MAFs, 24 hybrids,...etc... I didnt know some stuff either when I joined the boards...
I owned a ferrari and a diablo b4.. and if someone would ask me if I know of a world renowned tuner for such vehicles... I would say NO. dont even know if one exists til this day... and yet I had both cars...
hes a sincere guy and lets not beat him up.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-02-2006, 02:30 AM
Kinesis 996 is infamous around these parts
Hey i m open about what mine opinion is. I m glad to see yours too RufMD. Different ppl just see things differently.

I just believe that for the same amount of price i can get a set of wheels that are just as nice and still have the brand name and quality. They definitely be lighter and not a one size fit all product. Great example Kinesis F110. No the wheel isn't really going to slow you down a lot, however there are many of those here that would prefer to have lighter wheels if they are similar in price. I mean isn't that a better deal?

I m not even going to get to the exhaust part.

I strongly believe that RUF certainly have top notch products and first class customer service never doubted that but i still believe RUF stands for that.

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 05-02-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:45 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
Thanks Marskski....much appreciated. I just heard of RUF when someone posted a video here showing a blue Ruf TT and decided to ask about it. The nice thing about the net is that you can ask about stuff and not be embarassed about anything that was until bozo cg1 or whatever his name is made a rude remark about me. Asking if Ruf does tuning and bodywork is an appropriate question imo.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:55 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Kinesis 996

I m not even going to get to the exhaust part.

You really dont know what you are talking about.

I am friends with the man who handmakes the Ruf exhaust at shop in Pfaffenhausen. If you had seen the care and attention he lavishes apon the work he does you would genuinely feel like a freaking chump for saying that they "are gutted stock exhausts".

I agree the Ruf 19's wheels are heavy, but we have done 60,000km in 3 years in ours, without ANY problems. And they look pretty damn good to boot.

all the best
adam

Last edited by AdamT; 05-02-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Wannabe
cig1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by girthboy
Thanks Marskski....much appreciated. I just heard of RUF when someone posted a video here showing a blue Ruf TT and decided to ask about it. The nice thing about the net is that you can ask about stuff and not be embarassed about anything that was until bozo cg1 or whatever his name is made a rude remark about me. Asking if Ruf does tuning and bodywork is an appropriate question imo.
You just won't quit

Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
RUF is the BEST Porsche base car period.

It is about research (1000's of hours on the autobahn)
quality: they hand build everything
and balance of all performance characteristics:
torque that will embarrass big block chevy's down low,
suspension
brakes
unique look that is 100% functional
safety: integrated roll bar is unbeatable!!
and yes all of this built in small quanities costs money.
and no, taking my car and slapping a bunch of high quality mods
on it does not make it a RUF Nardo 590 as an example...
My 2 cents (and yes I have been there to see them made)
MK

Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
RUF is the BEST Porsche base car period.

It is about research (1000's of hours on the autobahn)
quality: they hand build everything
and balance of all performance characteristics:
torque that will embarrass big block chevy's down low,
suspension
brakes
unique look that is 100% functional
safety: integrated roll bar is unbeatable!!
and yes all of this built in small quanities costs money.
and no, taking my car and slapping a bunch of high quality mods
on it does not make it a RUF Nardo 590 as an example...
My 2 cents (and yes I have been there to see them made)
MK
Best response so far, I agree 100%

Christian

Old 05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dyu2118
LMFAO!! Holy sh*t....I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Seriously, though, I think everyone in this thread was just trying to have a little fun. But if you're really making fun of him, give him a break....he was just trying to ask a question. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to help each other.
Agreed to both things But anyway, is it me, or has girthboy been going on a posting rampage, with some being absolutely ridiculous? If it was someone else i appologize, and keep on learning!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:38 AM
YoWils is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JR.
whoever said that "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it".. was right on the money..
Couldn't agree more. As much as I would like to react to many of the threads/posts, I do exactly what JR said when it really doesn't add any value at the end of the day....You can always express your disbelief/disdain/whatever in private (e.g., to your screen) without broadcasting it. If the thread/post bugs me that much, then I just don't follow it. Surely there're other things that could use some attention?

Old 05-02-2006, 03:14 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
... But anyway, is it me, or has girthboy been going on a posting rampage, with some ...
iLL, Girthboy on a posting rampage???
You average 100 posts per day according to the numbers ... is he rampaging at a higher rate?

Sorry, I couldn't pass on something so obvious.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
john revis is infamous around these parts
The Ruf "factory" is in Pfaffenhausen, Germany, which is near Munich. Alois Ruf has developed and built many versions of Porsche turbos, some modified turbos, others Ruf cars with their name. He is a gentleman, and a very astute businessman. Also a pretty good driver. I had the pleasure of riding in the Yellowbird years ago when I was in Germany. 180 on a two lane road near his plant was a common event.

Last edited by john revis; 05-02-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DFW911T
iLL, Girthboy on a posting rampage???
You average 100 posts per day according to the numbers ... is he rampaging at a higher rate?

Sorry, I couldn't pass on something so obvious.
LOL, ok well its common to see me post, that's why i NOTICED his posting lately, because i hardly see his name posting in threads, and ive been seeing quite a few recently

Oh BTW, ehhem, your wrong Total Posts: 2,773 (10.64 posts per day)

Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Oh BTW, ehhem, your wrong Total Posts: 2,773 (10.64 posts per day)
You see, that's why I should never poke fun at someone ... I usually end up looking stupid with bad math ... or something - anything!

Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by DFW911T
You see, that's why I should never poke fun at someone ... I usually end up looking stupid with bad math ... or something - anything!
LOL its cool man, we were all joking, i know I just found it odd how ive been seeing alot of his posts lately, oh well!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
http://www.rufautocentre.com/about/history.asp

Exceptional Automobiles with a Tradition for Perfection

For more than 60 years the name of RUF has been associated with the automotive industry and has meant quality and craftsmanship. It started in 1939 when Alois Ruf, Sr. first formed his company, "AUTO RUF", as a general service garage. Today this same company is still operated at its original location on Mindelheimer Street in the quaint and quiet town of Pfaffenhausen, situated in southern Germany's Allgäu region.

The company grew despite difficult times, and in 1949 a gas station was added to the company complex. Six years later the senior Ruf, recognizing the growing German interest in travel, challenged his own expertise and developed a full-sized passenger tourist bus, which was at that time a very rare type of vehicle in Germany. Its success in satisfying the travel needs of many Germans encouraged him to risk further expansion by later starting his own separately owned bus company.

While Ruf Sr. continued to strengthen and expand the company, his son, Alois Ruf Jr., was developing his own interests and passions for "l'art-pour-idée" in automobiles, the true sports car. Thus during the 1960's the younger Ruf, driven by his own interests and apprenticed to his father, gained invaluable experience by servicing and restoring Porsches.

Upon the death of Alois Ruf, Sr. in 1974, his son, Alois Ruf, Jr., took over directorship of the company and vowed to continue its development and philosophy of innovation and quality. The success of this formula and his leadership is shown by the current recognition of RUF as one of the most respected international sports car manufacturers and suppliers of specialized components in the world. Alois Ruf's understanding of the strengths and inherent sporting characteristics of the Porsche 911 led to the company's concentration on this model as the platform for all of its future automotive developments. This proved to be a wise and successful choice and has become the backbone of RUF production for the past thirty years.

The first RUF enhanced Porsche model made its debut in 1975. Two years later, the turbo charged 911 engine, which was enlarged to 3.3 liters by RUF through the use of larger pistons, had a distinct performance increase compared to the standard Porsche Turbo model. This was followed in 1978 by the development of a 217 bhp 3.2 liter version of the six cylinder naturally aspirated 3.0 liter engine Porsche offered (which was far below its true performance potential). This conversion was favorably received by sports car enthusiasts worldwide and resulted in numerous orders.

Alois Ruf enjoys his cars as much as his customers, recognizing that powerful and sporty cars require extra skill behind the wheel not only for safety, but to be also able to enjoy the car's true potential. Thus, since 1978, RUF has offered his customers regular driver training events on race tracks such as Germany's Hockenheimring and the Salzburgring in Austria.

Recognizing that one of the weaknesses of the Porsche turbo was its four speed transmission, RUF Automobile responded to customer demand in 1981 with their own five speed. It provided distinct performance advantages and driving pleasure for the owners of the turbo charged six cylinder engine. In the same year RUF Automobile received the prestigious and coveted Manufactures' Certification from the German Federal Vehicle Offices.

The company's first "work of art," representing the culmination of RUF engineering advancements for the 911, was brought together in 1983 with the introduction of the RUF BTR. This model, with a 3.4 liter turbo engine of 374 bhp and five speed transmission, was available in either a narrow body or turbo body configuration. The construction of each vehicle began at the bare chassis level in the RUF tradition of handmade craftsmanship.

Last edited by Phoenix; 05-02-2006 at 09:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Newbie question...but what exactly is RUF?