996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Newbie question...but what exactly is RUF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
RUF Automobile GmbH did not restrict developments to the engine, transmission, or chassis but instead addressed improvements in all areas together. These included larger, better brakes and increased width and diameter wheels, which were both novel approaches at that time. Together with Dunlop in 1985, RUF designed 17 inch wheels using the Dunlop RunFlat System, a system originally intended for the Porsche 959. Together, these ingenious technological advancements provided for maximum safety during high speed motoring.

Developments continued at an increasing pace and in 1987 the newest RUF high speed sports car, the CTR, received its certification for normal road use. This incredible car, a 469 bhp twin turbo coupé, exceeded the top speed world record for production cars on the Nardo Racetrack at a rate of 342 km/h!! It was at the time, and still today, a truly astonishing pace. In addition, this same year RUF Automobile GmbH became an approved manufacturer with the U.S. authorities for safety and emissions (NHTSA and EPA).

New developments continued and the CTR and BTR became available with a six speed RUF transmission. Following the success of the 17 inch wheel design, further work led to the introduction of 18 and 19 inch wheels which incorporated the same safety features as were originally on the CTR.

Based on the recently introduced Porsche C2/C4, the RUF 964 BTR followed soon thereafter; a single turbo debutante with an increase of 40 bhp over stock to 360 bhp. In steadfast RUF tradition, improvements were made in all areas of the car, including an increase in comfort. In 1992 the RUF BTR became available with the Electronic Clutch System, or EKS, which was developed in partnership with Fichtel and Sachs. EKS provides all the advantages of being able to enjoy the sportiness of shifting gears but without the tiresome clutch pedal in pesky stop-and-go traffic or in high speed conditions. It is sporty yet comfortable, with consistently flawless clutch engagement.

In 1993, two new single turbo engines of 3.6 and 3.8 liter displacement became available to the RUF and Porsche enthusiast. These engines were controlled by the latest Motronic systems which supply exact fuel needs for improved fuel economy and reduced emissions while still providing outstanding power. Ten years after the CTR's presentation, the time was right for a successor: Just like the Yellow Bird presented in 1987, the CTR 2 sported an array of technically innovative features underlining its deserved position atop the RUF model range.

For the first time ever, carbon brake discs and 19" forged magnesium wheels were used in a road legal sports car. The RUF CTR 2 engine even met the stringent US emissions standard with an excellent performance and many favorable press reports. The 3.6 liter flat six twin turbo's peak power output was tuned to 520 bhp at 5,800 rpm. Beyond its aerodynamic value, the CTR 2's rear wing served as an airbox with an integrated inlet to feed the twin intercoolers. Beginning a new tradition, the RUF CTR 2 had an integrated roll cage completely fit into the interior of the car, in contrast to the old bulky ones used in racing. This added an additional measure of safety without sacrificing ease of entry into and exit from the car. In 1997, the CTR 2 Sport was offered, with a light-weight construction to emphasize the sport concept from its name.

For the Porsche 993 twin turbo, RUF offers with its turboR an increase in performance to 490 bhp since 1997. In numerous tests against the best high-powered sports cars, this car was the winner in the sector of drivability, performance and maximum speed.

With the introduction of the water-cooled 996 and Boxster model generation came new prospects for future RUF products. The RUF 3400 S, unveiled at the 1999 Es-sen Motor Show, enhanced the power available to the Boxster line. The 3400 S produced 310 bhp by using an upgraded engine, transplanted out of the existing 996, while still maintaining the same reliability demanded by RUF customers.

The new millennium still sees RUF covering niche markets for customers with special requirements. That's why the 385 bhp RUF RGT, which was built on the basis of the 996 Carrera, came to be with a normal aspirated engine with a dry oil sump with a separate oil tank. It was certified for sale in the United States.

In 2001, following along with RUF's turbo traditions, the Rturbo was launched; a car with 520 bhp and capable of a top speed of over 345 km/h. Customer options are nearly limitless: they have the choice of Carrera body shell, wide body turbo shell, or sport version (extreme wide body). There is also the option for an Rturbo cabriolet.

For the model year 2002, RUF created the logical evolution of the 3400 S: the 3600 S. Powered by the optimized 3.6 liter naturally aspirated engine of the 996 Carrera (with up to 345 bhp), the 3600 S betters the concept of the comfortably powerful roadster even further through the combination of a uniquely designed exhaust system, rear carbon fiber undertray, and advanced frontal aerodynamics.

Additionally, RUF created the next more powerful RUF Rturbo having 550 bhp in 2002 and having 590 bhp in 2003.

In spring 2004, the sports version of the RUF RGT having 395 bhp and principally being made for the American market revived the philosophy of the pure sportiness of the 911 Carrera from 1973: A light construction along with a naturally aspirated en-gine. The rear spoiler design of the sporty RGT stylistically follows the fashion of 1973 in honor of the father of all sporty 911s.

For modern sports cars, there is often not enough ground clearance especially in city traffic. In summer 2004, RUF began offering a sport suspension that is hydraulically height adjustable and offers 50 millimeters more ground clearance by pressing a button at speeds up to 60 kilometers per hour.

At the Essen Motor Show in November 2004, RUF presented the RUF Rt 12. This latest RUF turbo is based on the 997 Carrera, with a 650 bhp 3.8 liter twin turbo engine. Additionally, RUF celebrated the opening of its US dealership in Dallas.

The Ruf tradition continues....

Last edited by Phoenix; 05-02-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Now were allllllll RUF experts hahahaha

Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
bobbrock is infamous around these parts
Now that he knows what RUF is, let make sure he knows how to pronounce it too. It is pronounced "roof".

THX

Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bobbrock
Now that he knows what RUF is, let make sure he knows how to pronounce it too. It is pronounced "roof".

THX
Correct.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Ruf is Fun!

Heavy wheels? Yes,but they are sturdy. I enjoy Ruf suport and service just like RufMd and Adam. Oh yea,my Integrated Roll Cage is also heavy.

Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Bahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond repute
RUF is building a new factory just 1/2 mile next to the drag-strip in bahrain
they will build their super car here
from what i saw and heard it will be CGT killer
RUF cars are good they are better than stock porsches in every way but i love american tunners power they are raw power i love when the boost kicks in hard not like ruf its too gentle i wish they would go back like the yellow bird
RUF cars are the best all -round car where you have handling , braking , accelaration
the nice thing about ruf you can custom what ever you want
the best thing is you will have a warranty

Old 05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Actually the yellowbirds boost comes in a quite linear fashion, full boost comes in at 3000rpm, i was actually just testing this yesterday on the bahn, and even after driving it 25,000km was really surprised.

all the best
adam

Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Bahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AdamT
Actually the yellowbirds boost comes in a quite linear fashion, full boost comes in at 3000rpm, i was actually just testing this yesterday on the bahn, and even after driving it 25,000km was really surprised.

all the best
adam
did ruf tunned a 959 , i always asked my self this question , i never seen one , or heard about a tuned one , but i have a feeling ruf had to play with this car a bit

Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
No i dont think so, when i was there we had a few for servicing,

all the best
adam

Old 05-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
There was a 959 there last week from Bahrain, but I guess it was for service.

They also had a 993 GT1. I think there are only 2 in the world...

Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobbrock

THX
Not "rough"

Old 05-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
People who have experienced Ruf, stay with Ruf, generally as lifetime customers. Their engines, packages and complete cars are fully engineered and tested in a way beyond many others. Every engine built is engine dyno-tested and then tested in the car to the cars absolute top speed. My car has twice had engine work on it (550 conversion then Nardo 590) and both times it was taken out on the Autobahn at midnight and driven until it hit the rev-limiter in 6th (at an indicated 217mph, probably true 210mph) to prove it made the correct power in a real test. Their cars are engineered and tested for sustained high speed driving, hence why they fit far more components and run less boost than other tuners whose markets simply do not allow the owners to drive for sustained periods above 150, 180 or 200mph.

They are expensive, but are absolute quality. IMHO they are like the Patek Phillipe of the Porsche world, those who understand and wish too will pay the price, those who don't will not - nothing wrong with that.

As for their customer service it is beyond legendary and better than than I have experienced in ANY product ever.

Guy

Waiver - This thread is about Ruf and not intended to denegrate any other tuner, so please lets not turn this into another X vs Y debate. This is my opinion as a customer as solicited and my opinion only.....