996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Friend w/ Tranny probs...help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:07 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes sir.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Thank you that is good to know;

the taller first and second gears and some other changes MAY
be in my future.

MK

Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 AM
SR996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
See if you can have your buddy shoot some pics and post them. Syncro wear is not uncommon. There have been issues related to the mainshaft and shows up as a second gear problem. We are replacing a tranny in a very low mileage car right now because of that. Normally they do not grind though. It is a back lash issue.

Has he owned the car since new?

I spoke to my buddy he will be passing by to shoot some pics tomorrow, I told him you have a p-car PHD and he was like really !!! So yea your opinion on the conditions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again stephen.

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Sam I had the exact same problem and it happened at a DE. My dealer took the tranny apart said that I had abused the tranny (9k miles) and I had to pay 5k for a tranny rebuild.
Hope this doesnt happen to you and definately would never mention any track events!!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
I had the same problem. When it got hot it was very difficult to get from second to third gear. Dealer said the syncro was bad and they replaced tranny under warrantee. This was at about 14K miles...

Old 05-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Sam I had the exact same problem and it happened at a DE. My dealer took the tranny apart said that I had abused the tranny (9k miles) and I had to pay 5k for a tranny rebuild.
Hope this doesnt happen to you and definately would never mention any track events!!

Thanks for the info...but no its not my car its my friends. Track though....YEA RIGHT my friend is a first time p-car owner and he wont track that thing if we paid him too, he pampers it way too much. Thanks for advise and sorry to hear you had to pay out of pocket for it.

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Whirls
I had the same problem. When it got hot it was very difficult to get from second to third gear. Dealer said the syncro was bad and they replaced tranny under warrantee. This was at about 14K miles...

Yea we now it has been done under warranty before...with the same exact problem. My friend was also told by the writer that their is another porsche there with the same problem and they put a tranny under warranty, I just dont understand why they would give my friend so much trouble with this.

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Lastest scoop, (pics came out blurry but I ll email them to someone as soon as my friend sends me the pics to post em up for me cus I have no acess at work. AS PER the tech, the tranny isnt worn the clutch has a lot of life left, and their is no signs what so ever of metal or debri in the tranny. The bearings on the shaft are ok but they say the main problem is the syncro ring has a lot of play. The feild engineer believes its abuse. Now my friend is trying to tell the dealer he has never abused his car. and the dsm will be there sometime next week

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Whirls, I am REALLY SHOCKED cause that is porsches definition of "abuse" a worn out syncro and you are fortunately the first I have EVER heard to just have this "replaced" so congrats to you!!!!!!
SR996 again mine was the same thing worn out sychro and broken teeth = abuse and you are stuck!!!!!!

This apparently happen to my car BEFORE I purchased it!!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info tom. Its not my car its my friends, but I think the dealer banged up his car. He treats his car like girls treat their barbies and it all started occurring after his last visit to the dealership.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Alright guys I actually took a trip with my buddy to see the tranny, I saw no marks or rounded off teeth.The tech only said that the syncro ring has a lot of play in between, and moves completley up and down. I tried uploaded the pics but had no hope they are really blurry, I ll post them this afternoon. Does anyone have any experience, first hand experience with this issue on a tranny. They are saying its abuse, but the car has been driven like a 90 year old and this began happening after his visit to the dealer. Any info is appreciated thanks in advance

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
I use my car and use it hard, knock on wood I drive well enough that the syncros are not an issue.
I didn't even know Discos HAD synchros. Has Roxanne been letting you drive one of her Prosches lately, or are you sneaking it out?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
As someone already mentioned, have the dealer check (with their computer) for over- rev events. If there are any you may be able to relate the time to the earlier dealer visit or some other event.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by SLA
As someone already mentioned, have the dealer check (with their computer) for over- rev events. If there are any you may be able to relate the time to the earlier dealer visit or some other event.
Yea that I already know, but my question was more toward the syncro ring if anyone has had this as a problem of a syncro ring having too much play. Thanks for the reminder though

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:04 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Not really. The syncro has to be dead on or the car would have never shifted. If the dog teeth are also shot then the car is not the issue, someone hammering it was. Sorry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Friend w/ Tranny probs...help