996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Friend w/ Tranny probs...help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
SR996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Not really. The syncro has to be dead on or the car would have never shifted. If the dog teeth are also shot then the car is not the issue, someone hammering it was. Sorry.

Thank you for the response. I saw no kniks on the teeth. He was unable to show me that. He just told me that the syncro ring had play between the gears.the feild rep was there and said its abuse but they were unable to show it, no metal or debri in the bearings, clutch has tons of life...so I dont understand. My friend said he will be there tomorrow disputing this with the dsm.They offered him a 50/50 but he is upset cause he and I know his car hasnt been abused. Thanks guys for all the info this really helps and I cant thank this site enough for all the help and info I have gotten for every question or problems I've had in the past.

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
my 01 did the same thing neillo replaced the trans no probs,,,, you can most likly find a dealer alert to this prob. if you know how to look it up....as usual i have forgotten how i did it about a year ago..best of luck

Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Am I the only one that thinks the title of this thread has something to do with your friend having a problem with transvestites? (sp)
My father had the same problem with his GT2. After a long struggle (the GT2 was still under warranty) Porsche decided to go 1/2 on it with my father. When they plugged the car in, they could tell that he had driven it hard, recently.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
It was only hard to shift when the tranny got hot, then would go back to normal after it cooled down. They also inspected my clutch and said it was in good shape... I would have been pissed if they said it was from abuse and didn't cover it. I was told that the brass syncros are week and this is a common problem (if you track the car). I guess I got lucky!

Old 05-26-2006, 05:19 PM
SR996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Whirls
It was only hard to shift when the tranny got hot, then would go back to normal after it cooled down. They also inspected my clutch and said it was in good shape... I would have been pissed if they said it was from abuse and didn't cover it. I was told that the brass syncros are week and this is a common problem (if you track the car). I guess I got lucky!

Yea you did, my buddy is paying $ 2300.00 buks for his !!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:53 AM
master_328 is infamous around these parts
Hi guys, yesterday my 996tt also started crunching when shifting into third gear. Is it possible to swap just the syncros from a X50 gearbox? Or do you need to change further parts to get the better synchros?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
I had the same problem when performing the 2 to 3 shift. It only happened on track and only once the transmission became quite hot. I NEVER slam shift my car and am always very gentle with the transmission while on track.

I ended up having the standard brass synchros replaced with steel GT2 ones. I only have 4 events under my belt with these in and have, as of yet, not experienced any problems.

The transmission of this car is quite the weak link. I have to be one of the most gentle shifters out there considering the time I spend on the track and I've experienced both the 2nd gear pop-out and the 2-3 crunch problems all within 16K miles.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
I had the same problem when performing the 2 to 3 shift. It only happened on track and only once the transmission became quite hot. I NEVER slam shift my car and am always very gentle with the transmission while on track.

I ended up having the standard brass synchros replaced with steel GT2 ones. I only have 4 events under my belt with these in and have, as of yet, not experienced any problems.

The transmission of this car is quite the weak link. I have to be one of the most gentle shifters out there considering the time I spend on the track and I've experienced both the 2nd gear pop-out and the 2-3 crunch problems all within 16K miles.
Did they change out all your syncros? When I had mine at Boardwalk, they only changed the 3rd gear syncro ( I asked them to change them all, at least through 4th gear)... I was told the 2nd gear syncro was part of the shaft (or something like that) and it couldn't 'just be changed like the 3rd gear'. Now, I am having problems getting into second gear when the tranny is hot, but 3rd gear with the steel synco is fine... I have to take it back in, so it would be nice to know if they were able to change all of yours, and who did it. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:32 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
When TK fixed my transmission I talked to Brian Copans and Paul Guard.
I replaced several things (see thread at top of page) including the original
brass cone synchros for 1st and 2nd gear but then went to steel synchros
for 3, 4, and 5. I believe we left the factory 6 gear syncro in as it gets no use. The cost of the rebuild goes up exponentially if you want to do the
Porsche Motorsports parts with steel synchros in first and second gear.

MK

Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Whirls
Did they change out all your syncros? When I had mine at Boardwalk, they only changed the 3rd gear syncro ( I asked them to change them all, at least through 4th gear)... I was told the 2nd gear syncro was part of the shaft (or something like that) and it couldn't 'just be changed like the 3rd gear'. Now, I am having problems getting into second gear when the tranny is hot, but 3rd gear with the steel synco is fine... I have to take it back in, so it would be nice to know if they were able to change all of yours, and who did it. Thanks!
Just 3rd gear. I didn't even know that anyone was having problems with the 1-2 shift. Something to look forward to.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
When TK fixed my transmission I talked to Brian Copans and Paul Guard.
I replaced several things (see thread at top of page) including the original
brass cone synchros for 1st and 2nd gear but then went to steel synchros
for 3, 4, and 5. I believe we left the factory 6 gear syncro in as it gets no use. The cost of the rebuild goes up exponentially if you want to do the
Porsche Motorsports parts with steel synchros in first and second gear.

MK
Thanks for the info!!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Just 3rd gear. I didn't even know that anyone was having problems with the 1-2 shift. Something to look forward to.
Considering I'm never in first gear at the track (I assume we go to the same tracks here in Texas - MSR, TMS, TWS, etc), the problem I am having now is my 3-2 shift. I only go into 2nd in 2 places on MSR, so the last couple times I was out there I just had to leave it in 3rd and 4th. Todd with Topp Racing out at MSR said he has a transmission cooler he can put on it which I think I will do after I get all of the problems fixed, which will hopefully make things better going forward... Has anyone put trans cooler on their Turbo?