996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Friend w/ Tranny probs...help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM
SR996 is infamous around these parts
Friend w/ Tranny probs...help

Hows it going guys. I got a friend who just became a member here but cant post yet, he is trying to find out if anyone here has experienced a third gear grind with their 996tt. He mentioned that second gear is hard to go in when slowing down and third grinds everytime. He took the car to the dealer and they said the third gear syncro is really bad, and that second gear isnt that bad. Is this possible with a car that only has about 11k, its still under warranty but the dealer said he would have to wait for the dsm to see the tranny. Any one here have any inputs, or first hand with this give us a hand thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Hungry4$$$ is infamous around these parts
Tranny issue...

The 2001 996TT has a fairly well known issue where the shifter pops out of second gear into neutral. My Porsche dealer has replaced 3 trannies as a result.

Best,

Michael

Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
my 2001 had the same problem... tranny replaced...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Common problem with those 2 gears and 4th.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 AM
really...hmm but have the syncros had any issues ? I was talking to him this morning and the dealer mentioned that the syncros where worn and some what abused, but my friend never beats on his car he drives it like a grandmother trying to pamper it lol. His is an 03 btw. Thanks for all the info guys it really helps.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:33 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
I have an '01 996tt with 15K and have had the 2nd gear popping out issue where the tranny was replaced at 11K.

Almost immediately I started having the high rpm 2-to-3 shift start crunching. I NEVER slam shift or hard launch. I do do a lot of red-line shifts during DE though but they are s-l-o-w. I'll be taking the car in in the next couple of weeks.

If you knew how carefully I shifted this car then you'd understand how crappy this transmission is. My car is a CPO car and I'm concerned they'll try and denign the repair based on the convenient 'owner abuse' excuse.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Well I am starting to find out now how these trannys are. My friend seriously does not ever steps on the car, he pampers it. I honestly think that porsche will help him due to that, unless they can prove any kind of abuse. But hopefully the dsm doesnt give him trouble about it and can see that his tranny has never been abused. Thanks for the info I now see its not only him with tranny problems

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:48 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
See if you can have your buddy shoot some pics and post them. Syncro wear is not uncommon. There have been issues related to the mainshaft and shows up as a second gear problem. We are replacing a tranny in a very low mileage car right now because of that. Normally they do not grind though. It is a back lash issue.

Has he owned the car since new?

Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 AM
No he bought it about 5 months ago a few months before I got mine. The car had I would sayyy in the area of 6-7k miles when he bought it....I honesty have owned HONDAS with a stronger tranny !! Hopefully this wont happen to mine, what an inconvenience it would be if it happens to anyone with a fairly new car with low mileage especially on a porsche.

Last edited by SR996; 05-17-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
If it really is syncro wear then someone had beat on it pretty good before hand. There is no way to judge the abuse with the PO. Driving fast and driving incorrect are to different things.

I use my car and use it hard, knock on wood I drive well enough that the syncros are not an issue. Also on the X50/GT2 steel syncros were used rather than brass.

An abused car is sometimes luck of the draw.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 05-12-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
If it really is syncro wear then someone had beat on it pretty good before hand. There is no way to judge the abuse with the PO. Driving fast and driving incorrect are to different things.

I use my car and use it hard, knock on wood I drive well enough that the syncros are not an issue. Also on the X50/GT2 steel syncros were used rather than brass.

An abused car is sometimes luck of the draw.

Hmmm..puts me to think he did mention he took the car to the dealer a few weeks before this happened. If they can prove abuse I think the dealer is to blame. I ve seen porters and techs abuse on cars in any and every dealer ship.As a matter of fact I've seen porters at THAT same dealership take a customers ferrrari to high rpm across the street. I guess my question would be...can this happen with someone driving the car hard INCORRECTLY (grinding, missing gears, dumping clutch etc) in one ocassion ? example as in he took the car to the dealer, they abused on his car and damage something without him knowing and/or noticing. Thanks again for the info

Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Not likely but it is possiable. You can pull the over revs up on the PST2 and have them checked to see if the car was abused.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Not likely but it is possiable. You can pull the over revs up on the PST2 and have them checked to see if the car was abused.

Excellent info stephen. I thank you for your time and advise I will link this to my buddy.Appreciate it greatly.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM
My pleasure....have him call me if you would like.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:03 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
P-Doc,
Everyone knows of Brian Coppans...

Do you guys offer tranny rebuilding services as well?

Marty K

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Friend w/ Tranny probs...help