996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gt3 vs 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
You know the old saying about the grass being greener, right? I'd recommend some seat time in a modded Turbo. Whatever you do, don't buy a stock Turbo and then start modding yourself b/c by the time you are done you will have spent way more than the car is worth and unless you were to keep it for 5+ yrs it would be a huge waste of $. There are many modded cars that are sorted out and you'll save big. While it may not be exactly all you want you should get close. All this talk about weight, track times and whatnot only matters if it's on your radar. Meaning if you don't track much or plan to really get into it then GT vs. TT isn't too big a deal. If the car is primarily a street car you aren't necessarily going to be flinging it around every turn and give 2 sh@ts if it's a little heavier or not. Everything in this world is subjective and it's nice to get all these opinions but those are like you know whats. The only thing that will give you some clarity is to get behind the wheel yourself.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:08 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I personally love my luxo cruiser supercar. It has all the creature comforts for daily driving yet when I do go to the track I have yet to have anything pass me including a Noble. Only a dedicated, stripped out race car will pass this beast on the track! There are a few exceptions I am sure, but you get the idea. Again it is personal choice.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Well all i have to say is each of these cars are amazing, and suit to each different person for their needs.

Recently i have realized this Turbo modded blows my mind, through twisty roads, turns, even on a straight acceleration burst then hard braking into a turn, the grip and traction is absolutely insanity. But after a track day without my turbo saturday and in a bone stock M3, i miss that RWD, nimble feel through turns, high revving flat 6 badly.

Its really something you need to experience thoroughly in both cars, but hey, i would be up for a trade if you decide you want a turbo

Martin

Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
atan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud of
if all you want is speed , hp and lots of it. then sell your na and get yourself a tt.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:18 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
track=gt3
street=turbo
best of both=gt2

Old 05-16-2006, 01:30 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drjoe
track=gt3
street=turbo
best of both=gt2
Joe

I saw a video of your GT2 vs. a Supra . Nice...

Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
track=gt3
street=turbo
best of both=gt2
+1........

Old 05-16-2006, 02:07 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
track=gt3
street=turbo
best of both=gt2
Although i guess that is true, let me ask you, the grip and handling of the turbo is so immense, what makes it along with its acceleration not better then a GT3 on a track, i just dont get it and havent driven both back to back yet?! I do hate the turn in feel of the turbo, not direct enough for me, but nothing that cant be enhanced!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:41 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Although i guess that is true, let me ask you, the grip and handling of the turbo is so immense, what makes it along with its acceleration not better then a GT3 on a track, i just dont get it and havent driven both back to back yet?! I do hate the turn in feel of the turbo, not direct enough for me, but nothing that cant be enhanced!
IMO......weight...psm...throttle response...(i'm talking stock to stock of course)

Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Joe

I saw a video of your GT2 vs. a Supra . Nice...
lol..thanks vince....just some silly messin around on the streets of "Mesico" with a 700+ hp supra......rematch soon because i was an evo stage ii ..back then...now iv..and a whole lot lighter........just waiting on some lightweight wheels and maybe the evo gt640

Last edited by drjoe; 05-16-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:48 PM
IMO......weight...psm...throttle response...(i'm talking stock to stock of course)
Hmm yea, i guess something i just have to experience on the track in order to tell. But i try and simulate everything i would do on a track on this great road here in NY, and it feels so solid, keeping it in powerband in the right gear and instant power is right there its great, my car is also pretty damm light for a turbo though, straight pipes, no sunroof and so on, oh well. I just found it odd how a setup turbo couldnt dominate on a track with its power and grip advantages

Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
lol..thanks vince....just some silly messin around on the streets of "Mesico" with a 700+ hp supra......rematch soon because i was an evo stage ii ..back then...now iv..and a whole lot lighter........just waiting on some lightweight wheels and maybe the evo gt640

Joe

What else have you done to the 2 besides the LW wheels for weight saving?
Did the that 700hp Poopra ran with you at full boost. Nice to see the GT2 doing runs with these high hp cars. I would go with GT700 to make sure no fuel deficiencies. Be sure to post the rematch.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Joe

What else have you done to the 2 besides the LW wheels for weight saving?
Did the that 700hp Poopra ran with you at full boost. Nice to see the GT2 doing runs with these high hp cars. I would go with GT700 to make sure no fuel deficiencies. Be sure to post the rematch.
to the original poster
sorry for threadjacking.......

but i pretty much did what grussell has done..but i have straight pipes(no exhaust).....cloth recaro pole-positions (aluminum mounts)no rollbar....i think the gt700 might be too crazy (right now i have to ease it in 1st and 2nd gears or else i spin all day)...i also run only vp109 octane w/race program. 640rwhp at 2900 lbs would be the ultimate for me right now

Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
I love my TT. All 3 cars are awsome, perhaps the 3 is purer but when the tt kicks in...wow. I'm not a track guy, just like blowing by guys on the freeway. I'm about to start a Protomotive mod package that will take me to 600HP.....Look out baby....Seriously we ALL love the P car so why cant we all just get along...LOL
JB

Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I think (and everybody relax) that most people who own GT2/3 cars "may" be better drivers than us TT owners. Now I say that because on a race track with a GT car vs the TT you really have to be a much more skilled driver. The TT makes ok drivers look and feel much better than they really are (IMO only of course).
I just hope people dont buy the GT car especially the 2 and go out ***** to the wall, they will be shocked at the skill required to keep that beast on the road!!!
I also have to admit in my last three track events (all different tracks) I saw one full 360 spin at each track.......all three were a driver in a GT3!!! Of course I happened to be in close proximity to his rear bumper at that time.
Case in point two equal drivers same track same corner same line the GT goes off before the TT.....IMO only.
So.......I recommend the GT cars really only for relative track junkies, and yes I am looking at the new 997GT3!!!!! But keeping the TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 vs 996 tt