996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gt3 vs 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:50 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
ILLM3

With the added weight the turbo is harder to stop (must brake earlier), harder to rotate and has a similar level of grip to a Turbo, so the GT3 will carry more momentum (on the track) and likely be faster in skilled hands.
The turbo has a safety net, so you will be less likley to spin or have a moment as you might in a GT3/2.

The Turbo is the safest of the three cars and is most likely the fastest on the street for most skill level drivers. Assuming you don't go overboard on the suspension it will be the best riding car as well. Great car all around especially if it is an everyday car.

So I would have to say Drjoe's assessment is right on the mark.

JCM

Old 05-16-2006, 10:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by supercup
ILLM3

With the added weight the turbo is harder to stop (must brake earlier), harder to rotate and has a similar level of grip to a Turbo, so the GT3 will carry more momentum (on the track) and likely be faster in skilled hands.
The turbo has a safety net, so you will be less likley to spin or have a moment as you might in a GT3/2.

The Turbo is the safest of the three cars and is most likely the fastest on the street for most skill level drivers. Assuming you don't go overboard on the suspension it will be the best riding car as well. Great car all around especially if it is an everyday car.

JCM
Yea i just figured with its crazy grip and brutal acceleration, how could anything touch it on the track! But yea i know man, honestlyt his car is too tame to me, especially coming from my m3, i really want to hop into a GT2 or 997GT3, we'll see!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Given you had a SC M3, I would suggest you consider a GT2, you will not regret it!

JCM

Old 05-16-2006, 11:30 PM
9Eleven

Have you decided on what course of action.

JCM

Old 05-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Virtigo is infamous around these parts
ILLM3

JCM
Yep and I love it for it!! The TT is such a great street car!! When spinning out means more than slidding into the gravel pit! Or when you hit that patch of sand or loose gravel and ending up on the sidewalk can spell disaster! The TT is the ultimate fun fun fun street car.

The track is the track. So buy what fits your needs and don't look back!!!!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I think (and everybody relax) that most people who own GT2/3 cars "may" be better drivers than us TT owners. Now I say that because on a race track with a GT car vs the TT you really have to be a much more skilled driver. The TT makes ok drivers look and feel much better than they really are (IMO only of course).
I just hope people dont buy the GT car especially the 2 and go out ***** to the wall, they will be shocked at the skill required to keep that beast on the road!!!
I also have to admit in my last three track events (all different tracks) I saw one full 360 spin at each track.......all three were a driver in a GT3!!! Of course I happened to be in close proximity to his rear bumper at that time.
Case in point two equal drivers same track same corner same line the GT goes off before the TT.....IMO only.
So.......I recommend the GT cars really only for relative track junkies, and yes I am looking at the new 997GT3!!!!! But keeping the TT.

Tom has it right on. When I bought my TT I also tested the GT's and realized the TT was the right car for me based on my abilities and intended use. That being said I'll challange either of the GT's on a wet track or wet road. It is a compromize but has more utility for my uses. All three of the cars in discussion are fantastic so you can't lose.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
9Eleven

Have you decided on what course of action.

JCM
I think if I find the right car with the right miles, I may make the move. It's hard giving up my 3 though.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
I think if I find the right car with the right miles, I may make the move. It's hard giving up my 3 though.
Common lets trade haha, Techart stuff, GT2 stuff is going on, i'll include it all, its very fast as well

But yeato the guy who said GT2, i really would love one, hmm!

Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Common lets trade haha, Techart stuff, GT2 stuff is going on, i'll include it all, its very fast as well

But yeato the guy who said GT2, i really would love one, hmm!
You could easily get a GT-3 for what you paid for your car and the planned mods. The bad news would be that move would leave you starved for power and then you would probably have to trade the GT-3 for a GT-2.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Red Devil
You could easily get a GT-3 for what you paid for your car and the planned mods. The bad news would be that move would leave you starved for power and then you would probably have to trade the GT-3 for a GT-2.
Yea your right, and i realize it when i look back at it, blah. Im loving the 997GT3, so i'll keep on enjoying this car, tracking it and so on, then make a decision when new GT3 comes in i guess!

Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
These are the 2 cars I'm working on. What do you guys think? Is the x50 option something that you would feel over a standard turbo, 415 hp vs 450 hp? Has anyone ever seen that red color? It was a special order. The one at Bentley is the black '03. I've got a thing for the sport seats, I guess I'm used to them. The other seats look to much like a luxury car seat. We're talking even swap, my car for their car.

There are a lot of things to consider. The red one is Porsche certified, low miles, but it's an '02. Warranty is good until '08, but I'm not sure about that color. The black one is an '03, miles are average, black is beautiful, but warranty runs out in '07. Roughly a year or so. Thanks for all the feedback.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...er_id=56982001

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...r_id=201324056

Last edited by 9Eleven; 05-17-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Of the two I would go with the Black car. I think the exit on the special color red car would be very difficult, as it is unusual and would require the right buyer. Black is a broad market. Definately get an X50, it will reduce your modification budget. You don't pay that much extra and it is a much better beginning platform.

You may be able to find an X50 owner or a GT2 owner willing to trade, which might allow you a good deal and to know more about what you might be getting. If I were you I would keep your GT3 - you owned it since new, have warranty to 2009 and it is an awesome car. Do a LW flywheel and gears and you will not need a Turbo.

I have seen a number of guys go from GT2's to GT3's but mosty because they were bettereasier at the track for them. Good luck finding the right car for you. And be sure to drive them before you make a change.

By he way I live in S. Calif. but bought my GT2 from Annapolis Mercedes with 800 miles on it. Is that near your neighborhood?

JCM

Old 05-18-2006, 07:10 AM
By he way I live in S. Calif. but bought my GT2 from Annapolis Mercedes with 800 miles on it. Is that near your neighborhood?

JCM
It's right down the road, my wife gets her car serviced there.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Could be going with this one if we can put the deal together. If it works out, I'll be talking to you guys about the EVO gt640 kit. Man, that has to solve my speed addiction, right?

http://autohaus-lancaster.ebizautos....px?iid=1007013

Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Good luck with it!

JCM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 vs 996 tt