996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gt3 vs 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Gt3 vs 996 tt

Gentlemen, I am going through a speed withdrawal. I've have never driven nor ridden in a 996tt. Can anyone give me a frame of reference for it's speed? I am seriously thinking of selling my '05 Gt3 and getting a used tt. I need some real world experience to tell me if I am going to feel a big enough difference to make the move. I know I will feel a big torque difference, but what about true acceleration? Some of my friends think I'm crazy, so what else is new. Of course none of them own either car.

I think one of the other reasons for this contemplation is the inability to really do any engine modifications to my 3. Evo has a new turbo kit for my 3, 550 hp, and Manthey has a bore kit, 450 hp N/A. Both I would expect to cost about 25k. Hell for that, I could sell my 3 and buy a used 2. Or buy a used tt and modify the hell out of it. I think the other reason for the hesitation is that I bought my car new, went down to Champion Porsche and had it trailered back to Maryland. I know it was broken in perfectly and it is in mint condition. I guess this speed thing is a sickness. Is there a speed anonymous or some other group out there offering therapy? Anyway, any thoughts on this insanity would be appreciated.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 05-15-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I had that concern when concidering the purchase between the two cars. I chose the TT for that very reason. Easy upgrade hp. a modded TT will be significantly faster straight line. But remember on a race track you really cant beat the GT3. But you can pass them in the straights!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 PM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
he doesn't sound like a track guy anyway..

I'm with you though Tom. Same reason I got the Turbo over the GT3

Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 PM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
Just do it.....you always have to think to yourself that you deserve it and you only live once.....that's my motto.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Buy the TT and let the mods begin!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 PM
12:03 has a spectacular aura about12:03 has a spectacular aura about
Over in the GT3 forum they all say how they would never trade the GT3 for the turbos they used to have

Old 05-15-2006, 09:42 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Gentlemen, I am going through a speed withdrawal. I've have never driven nor ridden in a 996tt. Can anyone give me a frame of reference for it's speed? I am seriously thinking of selling my '05 Gt3 and getting a used tt. I need some real world experience to tell me if I am going to feel a big enough difference to make the move. I know I will feel a big torque difference, but what about true acceleration? Some of my friends think I'm crazy, so what else is new. Of course none of them own either car.

I think one of the other reasons for this contemplation is the inability to really do any engine modifications to my 3. Evo has a new turbo kit for my 3, 550 hp, and Manthey has a bore kit, 450 hp N/A. Both I would expect to cost about 25k. Hell for that, I could sell my 3 and buy a used 2. Or buy a used tt and modify the hell out of it. I think the other reason for the hesitation is that I bought my car new, went down to Champion Porsche and had it trailered back to Maryland. I know it was broken in perfectly and it is in mint condition. I guess this speed thing is a sickness. Is there a speed anonymous or some other group out there offering therapy? Anyway, any thoughts on this insanity would be appreciated.

OK well first off, if you like modding and you like your money you're f--ked. If you like Porsches and money you better get as far away from 6speed as humanly possible because this site specializes in spending other peoples money. I equate 6speed to the stock market in 1929, nuff said.

As for both cars, I choose the TT because I liked the power. Oddly enough I'm starting to get into track events, but of the 7k+ miles I have driven the car so far, none have been on the track. I really think for a car that needs to do multiple things the TT is a better choice then the GT3. Now I have to admit I have been looking at GT3s to trade my TT for lately, but I just can't do it. I like being able to drive fast in the rain and when its cold out even though I leave the Z-tires on.

As for tracking, unless you have considerable experience I'm not sure the GT2/GT3 is the best place to start. I have spoken to two different regional heads of Porsche Clubs and both said the GT3 owners have caused problems. Apparently a lot more people got into GT3s than GT2s with little track experience and since everyon tells them to track the cars they try and wreck. That could all be bogus, but that's what two indepedent people said at different times.

Cliff Notes:

get the TT if: you like power and track less then 3 times per year

keep the GT3: if track time is important to you, and you like nimble cars

in the end...you can't make a mistake though

Old 05-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
A short video for you:

http://media.putfile.com/turbovsgt3

My 996TT with exhaust and heavy, 19" HREs vs. a GT3 with intake and stock wheels. We each had a passenger...

Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The Gt3 is focused track machine that is challenging and rewarding to drive at the limit. IMO the TT offers a better mix of daily driveability and raw acceleration. Keep in mind that the turbo in the video could be making 100 more HP with nothing more than a chip.

I remember reading about an avid track guy who traded his M3 for a GT3 and could not eclispe his track time in the M3 with the GT3. We all agree (as he did in his post) that the GT3 was a superior car, but it requires so much more skill that he was having a tough time getting to that level.

We all like to think we're the super driver, and most on this board are probably better than average. The reality is that you will seldom see a situation where a GT3 will outperform a TT in 99.9% of your time in the car. Case in point, the video above.

When is the last time you really raced on a canyon road (and if you did was that even half way sane?)? The last time you raced in a straight line? You get my point right....

BTW a GT3 would do much better against a stock turbo from a standstill..

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-15-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
9Eleven,

All I can say is if you sell your GT3 and buy anything other than a GT2, you will have made a mistake. I had 2001Turbo and began the mod game. Had Ruf RTurbo stuff done, suspension etc... It was a very fast car and a simply great car. I wanted a GT2, but when they came out, I couldn't get one without offering MSRP and my first born.

So I looked into getting a GT3. One drive at the track and I was sold on many aspects of the GT3, especially the light weight, great steering feel and precise handling. I could not decide whether to get a GT3 or a used GT2. Since the delta between a new GT3 and a used GT2 wasn't that bad I decided on the GT2. I planned to keep the Ruf as well.

After having the both the GT2 and the Ruf for about 4 months I realized I had not driven the Ruf once. Everytime I went to the garage I drove the GT2, I simply lost interest in the Ruf, which is hard to believe, as it is a great car. And that was a totally stock GT2. So I sold the Ruf to a buddy. 3 months later we were out and he said drive your old car, I did and again confirmed I simply did not miss the Ruf.

Now I have GIAC controller, Europipe exhaust, steel brakes, 2004 GT2 wheels, moton's etc.... The car is simply amazing. I would recommend this route to you.

Turbo's are great, but they are heavy and will never handle like a GT3 or GT2 due to that fact. So you have to decide what is important to you. If you like your car, keep it, you can't beat having a car you have owned since new. If you need to go faster in a straight line get a GT2, you get the best of both worlds. I think the GT2 is a bit more fun overall than the 3, and I would take a 3 over a Turbo.

Regardless before you sell your GT3 spend a few $ on lightweight flywheel, and change out 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear (gear it to go about 167). You will be amazed at the tranformatoin of your car and how much quicker it becomes and you will still have one of the best balanced packages you can buy.

I have my flame suit on for the die hard Turbo guys, but I have to say the GT3 & 2 are very special cars and I don't see you going to a used Turbo.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by supercup; 05-15-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:36 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
The 996tt is awesome. But I have to agree that you must test drive a GT2...

Last edited by vincentdds; 05-15-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
The 996tt is awesome. But I have to agree that you must test drive a GT2...
you guys.. its not that expensive to get rid of the awd.. save 150 lbs. in the meantime and still have a TT.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-16-2006, 01:20 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
I think everyone above pretty much mentioned the basics of this debate. It really boils down to what type of person you are. I am trying to sell everything to buy a GT3 because I track very often so for me it makes sense. You seem to not be as track orientated and thats prefectly fine, but it will probably make it hard for you to enjoy the GT3 as much as you would a modded turbo or GT2. The GT2 will give you pretty much the best of both worlds, but will cost a little more. I spoke to a salesman about a GT3 and he said that there is a HUGE turn over rate for the GT3 because people buy it for the wrong reasons. People who do not track often buy it because they read a magazine and never really realize it is the wrong car for them until they actually love with it for a while. There is a black one sitting on a local lot and the owner simply realized it was not the right car for him. So I guess you have to decide what is most important for you when it comes to driving experience.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I would be concerned about driving a non PSM car as my daily driver. I'm glad that Porsche is finally offering a fully defeatable PSM in the 997 GT3 (and I presume the 997 GT2).

In the end these discussions are elemetary. If you are the GTx type you know it already.

Personally, I woudl love a GT2 but didn't see the value over a TT. My TT is now RWD and has PSM. It will never be GT2, but it's close enough for me.

Remember, the research and anticipation of getting a car is half the fun. Once it's in the garage, it's like whatever....

Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
All I can say is that I love both the 2 and the 3. My only regret is not having the time to drive them enough.

Do I miss the old Turbo? Maybe every so often when I am doing a freeway pull, since the car was insanely fast... but honestly, I would never go back.

The GT2 is so great that it's hard to even justify modifying it.

The GT3 is pure bliss. A Manthey stroker motor with 450+hp would give you an amazing vehicle that would beat even the most modded turbos at the racetrack. Especially if you put in RS/RSR uprights, Motons, monoball links, cage, etc.

Most Turbo guys will never understand this until they've had enough seat time in a GT3. I sure as hell didn't know until I went over to the GT side... I had much hesitation about getting the GT2. Now, I have no interest in anything other than the "GT" models. It's hard to explain... but as far as I know, I don't know of any one of my friends who went from GT3 to Turbo, only the other way around.

As far as the new GT3 is concerned, I'm waiting for the RS. I don't see any reason to trade my 3 in for the new watered down model.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 vs 996 tt