996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Would oil analysis have saved me $$$?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 08:51 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Would oil analysis have saved me $$$?

Ok. I was reading the thread on Detailer vs. Orbit and caught the part about oil analysis. Two weeks ago my M3 motor let go (while leading the race ) and I'm now likely looking at a full rebuild. It's in tear down now.

My question is what kind of money could potentially be saved by oil analysis? Let's say that metal flakes (or something else bad) is found in the sample. At that point, I assume you've got to tear the whole thing down any way? And once I've got the whole thing torn apart, I'm likely to replace anything that could potentially cause me a problem down the road. I might even replace and or strengthen everything that can give me either performance or reliability advantages down the road.

So... to make a long story short. For someone that will replace or strengthen damn near everything once he's in there, is there a savings to be had from the early warning provided by oil analysis? And could you give me an idea of approximately how much savings there is?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. It would also be great to get a few recommendations for businesses that do oil analysis.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
An oil analysis will save you ONLY from the standpoint that it will allow you to catch problems before they become catastrophic failures. In other words; it could keep you from destroying your engine by throwing a rod IF you get an analysis back that says there is a problem AND if you take steps to rectify the problem (i.e, rebuild your engine if problems are found).

As an aircraft owner... I swear by oil analysis... one of the leading ways I determine the condition of my engine. In a plane, even more than a car; your life depends on it.

If you track your car... I'd say that it is extremely important... if not; I'd say it isn't quite as necessary because you are likely not using your car to the point where it will make much of a difference.
I'll test mine about once a year.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Old 12-25-2003, 01:51 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Kevin. Once I get the motor back, I'd definitely like to be included. In fact, I'd like to send samples of both the racecar (m3) and the street car (996tt).

I don't think that the oil analysis would have saved me any money this time around. When I purchased the car (with a 98K mile original engine), I figured I would eventually go through the entire motor and replace everything for the long haul. But, once I do rebuild the engine, I can see how it could save me money as I don't really have any desire to completely rebuild the motor again.

Donn

Last edited by racer63; 12-25-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Could you guys point me to a place or company that does oil analysis?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-25-2003, 07:44 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
I am a huge fan of oil analysis as well. Very interested your source and cost. I do them every oil change (3k max). Are you thinking I need to do it more often Kevin?

Old 12-25-2003, 08:32 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I would do it with every oil change if the car is strung...Heck. do it any way....You should for POM.

Old 12-25-2003, 10:20 PM
doncapecod is infamous around these parts
Oil analysis is inexpensive and easy. I have it done with every oil change.

Larry T ('74 911)
http://www.youroil.net
http://members.rennlist.com/oil/ Oil Test Results
http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs

Old 12-26-2003, 12:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hmm not a bad idea eh? I might be down for that

Old 12-26-2003, 06:47 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Kevin:

Give me the rationale behind so many samples. Maybe after a track event, but how is at every oil change not enough? I have not seen/heard of engines nucking so quickly that every oil change wouldn't be enough.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:32 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Tim,
It just gives you a higher resolution to your mapping if you will. If something is astray in-between your 20K checks it might go unnoticed. By doing them every oil change you have a very clear view of any issues that may be coming up.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 12-26-2003 at 09:38 AM.