996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

corner weighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:54 AM
spidey is infamous around these parts
corner weighting

Anyone here have this done on their cars and felt the difference?

Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Spidey,

The more correct terminology is corner balancing. It involves averaging out the sums of the across the car and digaonally.

I have had it done. I have used the car on the track numerous times. Frankly, I haven't felt the difference. While I will not dispute its benefit in all out racing and dedicated tracking, and I don't discourage its use in a street car, I think you will be hard pressed to actually "feel" a difference.

The foregoing is based on the assumption that your car is running coilovers (the only suspension system that will allow corner balancing) and they are reasonably set up to begin with (in other words, the spring perches are at roughly equivalent locations across the car).

In addition, in order to do it correctly, you should have a half tank of fuel and the equivalent weight of a driver in the driver's seat.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARY,
unless you are Racing Porsche club racing wheel to wheel
with similar cars in your class, are an expert driver and
want to squeak out that last .5 to 1 seconds per lap on
a racing course.

MK

Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
I haven't had it done on my GT2 yet, though I will be soon, but I can tell you from my personal experience with it on other cars, that in does in fact make a difference. At least it does with my driving style and the roads I drive on. This of course will vary on how hard someone pushes their car and on what venue. There is no downside to having it done other than the cost. So why not give it a try?

Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 AM
YoWils is infamous around these parts
I've had this done on four different cars all in the process of setting up the coilovers as part of the alignment, but never completely on its own, so I don't know of its benefit solely on its own....But hey, at least you'll get to find out how much your car weighs!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:02 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
IT's neat for the track but honestly anytime you have a passenger or other weight in the car it's all offset anyways

PS Spidey your moton mounts _should_ be here tomorrow!!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:23 AM
bpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the rough
I had it done on my 996 with H&R coilovers and the cars' handling was amazing. The balance was so perfect you could feel the car squat and plant itself when taking fast turns... definately recommend it.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:32 AM
spidey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by YoWils
I've had this done on four different cars all in the process of setting up the coilovers as part of the alignment, but never completely on its own, so I don't know of its benefit solely on its own....But hey, at least you'll get to find out how much your car weighs!
That would be a nice side benefit since the car had had some "dieting" recently to shed weight!!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spidey
That would be a nice side benefit since the car had had some "dieting" recently to shed weight!!
Spidey.. come by and look at your new toys Got your mounts just now.. Very nice lookin!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
YoWils is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spidey
Where do you think you're at now? All that CF must be helping!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 PM
XSrcing is infamous around these parts
all you will relaly be doing is balancing preload corner to corner. to completely corner balance a car, you need to have equal weight on the left and right sides of the car. i doubt you can overcome the weight of a person by adjusting the spring perches. and i doubt you guys really wantt o cruise around with a bunch of lead in your passenger seat.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
I've never done it but friends with older turbo's swear by it. When I do the PSS9 I'll corner balance...Like was said why not...
JB

Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Hell yes it makes a difference. Is it "necussary", probably not. My car got pss9 and no corner balance initially. It drove great and felt much better. Once I later got it corner balanced the car handled as a complete unit, not differently from left to right turn or over bumps in turns. The suspension works as a whole distributing load evenly around the car and made the steering and hadling much better and more predictable. I say do it and have them put a balast in the driver seat to equal your weight. If you are going to rely on counting turns or threads that is close but it is exactly that, CLOSE. If you have coilovers then do it. Woodster, you really should do this, you will feel a difference on the track. May not be quicker but way more predictable and uniform.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
If you feel the car is currently well balanced meaning it feels the same in hard left hand turns as it does in right hand turns, if the car doesn’t pull during hard braking and when you drive though a good whoop in the road the car doesn’t give you the feeling it’s trying to rock left to right rather than up and down … it’s most likely not going to be worth the money to put it on scales only to find it’s a few tenths out at most.

Generally speaking, these cars are delivered fairly well balanced from the factory however, each car can vary. When talking about a road going cars you just want to make sure you don’t have more than 1 percent difference where on a track car it would be more critical that it’s not more than 0.2 percent with the goal being 0. After it's done properly, a car won’t vary more than 0.2 percent with or without the driver and often closer to 0.1 percent. The fuel load will affect the weights more than a driver so, if you’re seeing more than a 0.3 change, you need to go back and measure ride heights to see if it’s level side to side. Even though I think corner balance is one of the MOST important setting on the suspension it’s only a problem if it’s out and if the car feels balanced I think I’d have to stand with my original thought in your case and that’s …..save your money.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Josh
I haven't had it done on my GT2 yet, though I will be soon, but I can tell you from my personal experience with it on other cars, that in does in fact make a difference. At least it does with my driving style and the roads I drive on. This of course will vary on how hard someone pushes their car and on what venue. There is no downside to having it done other than the cost. So why not give it a try?
Agreed. I've had it done to a few of my previous cars, and I've always noticed a difference. Especially in those cars that I had lightened from stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: corner weighting