996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 PM
ForcedInduction is infamous around these partsForcedInduction is infamous around these partsForcedInduction is infamous around these partsForcedInduction is infamous around these partsForcedInduction is infamous around these partsForcedInduction is infamous around these partsForcedInduction is infamous around these parts
Track Tires

Went to Thunderhill last week and the stock pirelli's were not up to the job. They were fine for 2 laps and then got really really greasy. The pressures in the fronts went from 34 to 50 by the end of the session. So now I am looking at putting a set of track tires on the stock turbo wheels.
I would like an R compound tire that I can drive to the track on. The question is, which tire, MPSC's vs Toyo RA1's vs Yokohama AO48's vs ?????. Also, which sizes to run on the stock rims. Comments from anyone with experience with these or other tires would be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:06 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
I have driven on all of them and for an overall track tire that gives you everything you want(including ability to drive to and from the track) I would go with the MPSC.

For the stock pirelli's you need to start lower than 34 cold.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 PM
kave is infamous around these parts
Michelin's. There is no substitute.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:03 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The MPSCups tend to be the overwhelming majority of what I sell to people wanting the best all-purpose DOT approved race tire. Give me a call and we can talk sizes (need some more info).

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 AM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
I burned up a set of Pirelli's on the track, they were ready to be tossed though. As for the track tires...I asked around the track that I'm running, the guys with MPSC said they're great for about 15 heat cycles at the track, then they start getting greasy quickly at temp. The other issue is that they take a few laps to get to temp. The RA1 guys loved their tires, over the Hoosiers (though super sticky and cheap), and over the MPSC's. They grip and come to temp quick, and can be driven to the track. The suggestion was to have them shaved to 4/32's. I started looking for some to fit on the Turbo's rims, they don't really come in the right size, so...I'm going with the MPSC's. :-) No shaving needed for my car, and easy to drive to the track if it's not raining.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
MPSC'S, 245 front 315 rear on stock wheels. These tolerate the most heat cycles and is one of the things this tire is known for and why they are the chosen tire to "drive to the track".

Last edited by tom kerr; 04-30-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Nobody has any info on the Yokohama A048's? They sure look like they have more rubber for the road, although rain would be ugly considering the tread pattern... or lack thereof. How about a pure dry weather DOT track tire... MPSC still the choice? Thanks, Kevin

Old 05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
the more "rubber for the road" the less dry grip at the track, that's why we have the track tires "shaved" to 4/32.
Kevin, your best bet remains the MPSC

Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 PM
34front 36 rear keep them around 40 hot. you will have to bleed them alot at the track!!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Tom, is the 235/295 combo the largest MPSC sizes you can run a 996tt with stock turbo twist wheels?

Old 07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
I used to run Pirelli Corsa's until I tried the MPSC's. There is a huge difference! I run 315/235's on my RUF wheels, but I don't think 315's will fit on stock wheels.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Tom, is the 235/295 combo the largest MPSC sizes you can run a 996tt with stock turbo twist wheels?
I'm running 235 F and 315 R.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:50 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
MPSC if you want DOT. If not Hoosiers are the best of the best.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 PM
bb996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Whirls
I used to run Pirelli Corsa's until I tried the MPSC's. There is a huge difference! I run 315/235's on my RUF wheels, but I don't think 315's will fit on stock wheels.
The 315/30 18" MPSCs will fit on stock wheels, but they do rub the plastic fender liner on the inside shoulder.

With the stock suspension, I corded the rears on the third day at the track. Prior to the DE, I had the alignment set for the max negative camber but the right rear outside shoulder was shredded and the left rear inside shoulder had cord showing. This was on a counterclockwise track. I think the stock suspension is too soft and leans over too much for these tires. I was running fairly high pressures - 45 hot - to try and minimize the shoulder wear.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 PM
you can put 315's on an 11 inch wheel and its ok for street driving. but for the track on an 11 I go with the 295 and I put the 315's on my 12 inch GT2 wheels. neither "rub" anywhere. the insides will wear out fast with alot of camber. I have been switching the rears side to side and get better wear.
I think running 45psi is on the high side for these tires hot at the track, but just my experience in Fl with a track temp over 100 degrees

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Tires