996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Handy Dandy 11-99 Tip for CA Drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 AM
MKRocks is infamous around these parts
Handy Dandy 11-99 Tip for CA Drivers

I was pulled over on 280N today. I was being tailgated by a SUV of all things and I accelerated to get by. CHP officer pulls me over, is courteous and polite. Hand him my license, registration and insurance. He comes back with an 85 in a 65 ticket.

He asks me if I'm current with the 11-99 foundation--I tell him I'm a lifetime member. He says 2 things--1) he is very glad that I didn't bring it up when I handed him my papers and 2) that he was very appreciative of the support and that it means a lot to the CHP. Point 2 notwithstanding, I think had I not done what I did on point 1), it would have been a triple digit ticket.

Key lesson--don't name drop 11-99! They can see it on your plate and they don't want people using it as a 'get out of jail free' card.

Last edited by MKRocks; 08-28-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:29 AM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Why is he very glad you didn't bring it up when you handed him your papers, isn't that what the gold badge is for?

Why did he give you the ticket if he was soo appreciative?

At the end of the day you still got a speeding ticket....

Old 05-30-2006, 11:30 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have never rec a chp ticket.... however i keep a friends card from the govs office next to my lic. with a call if fatal no. on it..... they have asked who is your friend in the govs office (chp security div) but it is always followed by i was not going to write you anyway.... they have a job to do out there and they deal with so many scum bags daily , i think they are just glad to be treated with the respect they derserve and will usually return the favor... my 2c

Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
steve also white

Old 05-30-2006, 12:17 PM
SilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
Why is he very glad you didn't bring it up when you handed him your papers, isn't that what the gold badge is for?

i was thinking the same thing

the foundation issues license and registration holders with 11-99 messages all over the place. i have the plaque mounted on the dash, just in case.

so i'll never state that i'm a lifetime member, but there's no avoid the fplate frame, the registration holder, and the wallet badge

Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
So the 9-11 foundation is supposed to be a program that lets members go whatever speed they want? I don't understand: MK says he was speeding at over 100 in a 65 zone. He seems to acknowledge the ticket was justified...why should anyone be surprised or resentful (I note that MK is neither) that he got a ticket "at the end of the day?"

Old 05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
MKRocks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches

I got a ticket but not a triple digit one so I do feel I got off lightly.

I inferred from what the officer was saying that people try to name drop or show them different badges, cards, etc. and at least to that officer, it has the opposite effect intended.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
a friend of mine has a daddy that is a detective in sfpd. this friend got caught for speeding and showed his dad's business card to the cop in another city. the cop was offended. the ticket was eventually dismissed with daddy's help though.

these 11-99 are not cheap and work slightly in your favor. don't rely on it to save you.

ps. cops often mark down speed if they are uncertain how fast you were going and if you were only speeding fast for a mile or so. I once was flagged for 85+ when going more than 90. these days, speeding ticket is cheap. Those red light cameras are $450-500. I want to destroy all of them some day...

Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 PM
ThatOneGuy is infamous around these parts
I'm a lifetime member also. I can tell you that it's had absolutely zero effect on how I've been treated by law enforcement. If you try to become a member to get out of tickets, you'd do better to just slow the F down.

No one likes to feel like they've been bought off. It's the officers discretion and how your license comes back that matter. If you're a member (one of the requirements is a clean driving record), you might benefit from a little discretion, i.e.. knocking 20 mph off a ticket making it a traffic school ticket as opposed to a criminal speeding ticket.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
What are the fees to be a member? I've heard it's not "worth it."

Old 05-31-2006, 12:18 AM
ThatOneGuy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
What are the fees to be a member? I've heard it's not "worth it."
I don't know what you mean by 'worth it'. It's a great cause and it's tax deductible.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i recently had a chance to speak with few CHP officers, all told me that the membership would have absolutely no influence on them.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I also have a CHP officer living in my neighborhood that I see on the street regularly and I asked him about 11-99. He said any donation is appreciated by all officers and their families but just being a member would not get me off a ticket.

On another note, I was pulled over for speeding by LA County Sheriff doing 100 in a 65 and he let me off after showing him my bill of sale for Tuuner's turbo I bought the day before. I was extremely apologetic and treated him with all the respect and he was kind enough to let me go on my way. It helped that I only stepped on it for just a few seconds before I let off so he said he couldn't get an accurate speed.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally Posted by ezmoney888
I also have a CHP officer living in my neighborhood that I see on the street regularly and I asked him about 11-99. He said any donation is appreciated by all officers and their families but just being a member would not get me off a ticket.

On another note, I was pulled over for speeding by LA County Sheriff doing 100 in a 65 and he let me off after showing him my bill of sale for Tuuner's turbo I bought the day before. I was extremely apologetic and treated him with all the respect and he was kind enough to let me go on my way. It helped that I only stepped on it for just a few seconds before I let off so he said he couldn't get an accurate speed.
ez... didn't you just picked up the car last week... pulled over already!!

i was a passenger once in a high speed pursuit. we were young and absolutely stupid. when we were stopped, my friend was as apologetic and respectful. they let him go with just a speeding ticket which went away after driving school. it could've been a lot worse. my friend is really just a nice guy and really helped him. his only problem was having played too much grand theft auto!! anyway, i think being down to earth and respectful is definitley a good solution.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:48 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, I think 11-99 only offers lifetime membership now. It costs $1800.00 you can add a spouse for $1200.00.

I called them up and asked for an application.
The California Highway Patrol 11-99 Foundation
P.O. Box 3537
La Habra, CA 90632-3537
(562) 947-1199

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Handy Dandy 11-99 Tip for CA Drivers