996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

An OBD2 socket for data to an AX22 etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
An OBD2 socket for data to an AX22 etc.

Here's a source for a socket we could use to get OBD2
data into an AX22:

http://www.obd2connectors.com/Standard-kit.htm

Old 06-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Joe - I was reading about OBD2 data integration into the AX22. What kind of info would you find most usefull with this? If I remeber correctly, it would enable logging of: RPM, Shifts (?), Spark Timing (?).... what else??

Old 06-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Anything to do with driver input would be best for me. Throttle position,
steering angle, brake application etc. Also I'd like to know when PSM is
triggered, ABS is triggered, etc.
Joe

Old 06-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
We're going to need an intensive course on usning all this data through propper set up of the software!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Joe, you will need separate sensors for such data (steering angle, throttle position, braking percentage...). I played around with this idea with my AIM MXL Pista and it was a real nightmare to get all the sensors installed. It needs to be done by a pro and it gets quite expensive. Obviously what you get from it is fantastic.

I would think however that with the basic GPS and accelerometer information (calculated On/Off throttle, braking points, corner entry/exit speed, racing line, lateral and longitudinal Gs etc), one has enough to improve dramatically his times.

Try to install your AX22 in a car driven by a pro on the same track, and the amount of info you get from a single lap will keep you busy for weeks when comparing to your own laps I tried once to install it in the Supercup car of David Saelens during open practice, but could not find a damn power source!! Just like VR Alexander's drag cars , they don't have a lighter obviously!!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi Jean, why will I want extra sensors? I thought this data
was available via OBD2 in the 996tt?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Joe,

I was referring to steering angle, brake application etc.. which are not.. I believe... Don't quote me, I drive a 10 year old car that cannot use the OBD2 link unfortunately for data transfer..You will get for sure the RPM pick-up, oil temps, pressure, head temps, etc..however..