996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carfreaks at the Nürburgring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Carfreaks at the Nürburgring

So here I’m back in home...

A week at the Nürburgring was amazing as usual. The guys and girls I travelled with are great people and I think I have a lot of funny non-car related stories to tell…but don’t feel like writing 20 pages so I left them all out

Anyway, we were there with 9 cars from Finland, the cars were:

BMW M6

BMW M5

Porsche 996 Turbo

Corvette C6 Convertible

Corvette C6 Coupe

(btw: these Vettes are rarer than Lambos or Ferraris in Europe!)

BMW M3

BMW M3

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO8

Audi A3 2.0TFSI SB

Last edited by Kaizu; 06-01-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
All cars were of course modded (some of them very extensively) and the only one with the speed limiter (still) in the place was the E60 M5…so in the long straightaways one can say it was the slowest of the group
But at the limiter the M5’s speed was something like 262 km/h (163 mph) according GPS (somewhere in 270-280 km/h in the speedo) so it wasn’t that slow

The journey started on Friday. We drove our cars from the capital Helsinki (the guy with the M6 came from Oulu, which is almost 400 miles norther). Then we started our engines and we began to “enjoy” the Finnish speed limits to Hanko (southest city in the country) where our ferry departured.

The ferry got us to North Germany to Rostock in 24 hours. From there it’s about 430 miles to Nürburgring. The ferry came to Rostock late in the evening so we drove the night to Nürburgring (Adenau to be exact, that’s where our hotel was, right next to Nürburgring).
Of course we were thinking the drive would be nice because of empty roads…Well the same thing that happened in last autumn happened again…Aargh…. What I mean it rained all the time and our car had Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (mounted on stock wheels, not the best looking combo as you can see…) for fast lapping at dry track.
Also the M6 had Pirelli PZero Corsas and the black M3 had Dunlop’s semi slick tires, SuperSport Race. The Pilot Cups seemed to be worst of those in wet weather. After a bit getting used to rain (and experiencing some “interesting” aquaplaning) we could drive safely about 85 mph…We were in our hotel at 6 AM Sunday morning…

Sunday:

The track was open whole Sunday so we slept the morning and headed to the ‘Ring. It takes only a 5-10 min from Adenau to the track itself and the route to the ‘Ring is fine, smooth road with a lot of curves…very enjoyable way to warm up your engine.

When we got there we (me, my older brother and even our old father!) bought first 25 laps for about 300 EUR. Some of us bought Jahreskartes (a year ticket for about 800 EUR). Doesn’t that show dedication for driving or what Finland isn’t the nearest place as you know..

I know you guys have very strict regulations in the US with track events.
It seems that if you want to drive at the track at high speeds you have to have your car serviced and double-checked and there’s an instructor with you etc. etc.
I even get some surprised and bit angry messages if I post some pics of our private track days from Finland where all of our people don’t use helmets (I always use one, I’ve got more than enough titanium in my body because of accidents (not at the track though)).
The rules in the US are nice and they add more safety, but a bit more freedom is okay for me!
For example at the Nürburgring everyone can go to a ticket automat, get theirselves some rounds, go to their car, start up and head to the track! Of course there are people watching a bit over at the gates what kind of vehicle you have, here’s an example (one FAST Lotus):

But before entering the world’s most dangerous track no one comes to you and checks your driving license, does an alcohol test, checks your brakes and tires or requires you to wear a helmet or something else. That’s the way at the ‘Ring. You have the responsibility of your own actions.

By the way, the whole week there were not many Mercs on the track (I wonder why ) but this racey looking C55 was quite interesting, race seats and roll cage isn't nothing to talk about but the color was like brushed aluminium:

Last edited by Kaizu; 06-02-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Anyway on Sunday the weather was fine and our crew was glad that there wasn’t much traffic. Some pics of our cars (thanks Christian & Mike for some of the pics)

(these track wheels might need some spacers, they are a bit too much inside the fenders =))

Nowadays everybody have seen Top Gear’s Nürburgring episode and everybody in the media is mentioning all the time ‘Ring times of different cars so every car enthusiast has to come to the place.
That means the track has become imho “too popular” during the weekends, sometimes traffic might be like this,

So for proper lapping one has to avoid the weekends.
That was our plan too, we came there in the weekend, spend the week there and left the place the next weekend.

Car’s that went past us during Sunday were a German 996 GT2 (brother’s first lap, it went past in the main straight after Gantry where the lapping stops) and a German E46 M3 (my first lap, went FAST past in quite beginning, in the corner T13).
It was a beautifully modified with a low suspension and a roll cage etc:

By the way, if I talk about “modded car” at the ‘Ring I don’t mean a one which has 500hp+ engine and a carbon fibre interior and big wheels with 5 inch rear lips and a paint which hasn’t a single stone chip but has 10 layers of expensive wax.
I know people here might prefer that kind of modding but hey, it doesn’t make your lap more enjoyable at the ‘Ring!
The main points are to upgrade suspension and tires, saving weight with stripped interior etc., roll bar or roll cage and of course doing aerodynamic modifications if required.

Of course there are many both very beautiful and very fast cars.
If the car’s beaten to hell, it doesn’t have to look like one
About faster cars, I know and saw everyday that there where faster cars than the Turbo but this day only those two (GT2 and M3) I mentioned were the ones that were at the track same time and went past us.
Don’t know what happened when my father was driving the Turbo so feel free to comment! (a black one with Finnish plates)

The day was the first day at the ‘Ring with the Turbo, Pilot Sport Cups and new suspension so we were just getting used to it. First the Cups were a bit difficult to drive fast because you can’t feel the amount of grip as you have used to on a road car. It just grips – or slides.

During Sunday there weren’t much tourists, mainly Germans and some from Sweden. Of course there were Brits too, they seem to enjoy the place a lot and there’s always cars and bikes with British plates.

Last edited by Kaizu; 06-02-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Monday:

The track opened 5 PM for a couple of hours so we had some other activities first,

On early morning 3 of our cars (M6 and both M3’s) drove 100 miles to Dinslaken to visit a good friend of ours, Mr. Kelleners of Kelleners-Sport.
They had some tuning and service done to their cars.

The rest of our crew slept till 11 AM because after the night drive over to ‘Ring and yesterday’s lapping etc. we were quite tired.
When we woke up we headed to Manthey Racing.
That’s an awesome place, so many track and street Porsches in the workshop and all are done with racing experience.
In the showroom they had a CGT and a GT3 RS…two cars you can spot very easily at the ‘Ring’s parking area too

Manthey-modded GT3 isn’t a rare sight around here and they are very nice! Manthey knows about raw power too, with their 700 hp kit a bone stock 996 GT2 will go 0-200 km/h (0-125 mph) in 8,9 secs equipped with normal Pilot Sports…

Anyway the reason we went there was dynoing the 996 Turbo. TechArt claims their Stage 2 pushes out 530hp/740Nm with modded K16’s, ECU tuning, air filter and induction pipes. After that we’ve got ourself a TechArt exhaust and EVO’s V-Flow so we have no idea about the current power. Manthey’s got the newest MAHA dynamometer and at different forums people often mention how accurate it is compared to another dynos and to real world conditions. At least cars with Manthey's power kits are very fast according to magazine tests.
What left us a bit amazed that they couldn’t offer a time for dynoing for the whole week because they were busy building their own and customers cars for the upcoming 24 hours race…but the workshop didn’t look that busy at that moment…
Well better luck next time and we’ll get the time beforehand.

The rest of the day went by as we were getting better brakes for the EVO8 and the Audi A3.

The track opened at 5 PM and was open till 7.20 PM. It was a nice time for laps, not much traffic etc.

After about an hour there was an accident with track closure, which took some time so we couldn’t drive that much.
Don’t remember which cars got past us as there weren’t much traffic, perhaps no one came… (Note: if a car catches me, I immediately slow down and show with a turn signal to come by…if you fail with this behaviour, you aren’t welcome to the ‘Ring imho).

At the parking area we spotted another black M6, ours was supporting carbon fibre and the other one chrome:

After Monday’s laps we weren’t fully satisfied with Turbo’s suspension setup. ‘Ring is a bouncy track and the car got unsettled for too long after some high-speed bumps. Manthey offers a professional suspension setup with testing but the price was something like 600EUR and they seemed to be too busy so we just did some tuning to FVD-spec PSS-9’s in our hotel’s parking place.

During next days driving the tuning helped but got to buy sway bars still…

Tuesday:

The track was open for public only the evening so we drove ourselves to Mosel river to do some HD video shooting of cars.
The place was very beautiful and we got some nice footage. But as always, everything didn’t go according plans (technical failures of cameras, occasional rain and a bit too much traffic).
Still I think all the carfreaks will remember the day as a nice funny day. Great to do something else with cars once in a while than going all out at the track

During the trip the M6 had a sticker ad for a restaurant called Pinocchio, great place in Adenau near the 'Ring (they have maybe the world’s fastest pizza delivery car, a GT3 )

The exhaust is Kelleners/Eisenmann and the V10 sound is glorious,

Last edited by Kaizu; 06-02-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:49 PM
The evening’s track session was great.
I was having seat time in different cars and also took a couple of laps…
There was some nice driving and the speed got even higher
My brother drove fast laps with Turbo. He drove behind a friend’s very fast Kelleners-Sport M3 and it was awesome.
In a way it’s very fun to drive fast at the ‘Ring when there’s a more experienced driver in front of you mastering the lines…here’s the M3:

The Turbo had no problem keeping up because of power.
It would have been awesome to take HD video of those laps but incar-video is illegal nowadays without a proper license which costs quite much .
That’s why carfreaks.net won’t provide any new incar-footage from the ‘Ring unless we buy the license or the rules will change

You still see many people taking vids. Usually the passenger seems to hide the camera at the gate and the footage is done with shaky hands so who cares about those kinds of vids

In the evening I wasn’t very satisfied with a certain lap.
I had a very experienced driver with me in the Turbo and the “out of fuel” light went on.
It stressed me quite much (remaining range went down all the time and you get a fine if you run out of petrol there)…had a moment in the Exmühle so I was just chilling after that and headed straight to petrol station.

Our EVO8 was shooting flames like crazy so it got some attention too

Don’t want to brag about, because we are not talking about a race but just some touristenfahrt, but I have no idea about other cars than the friend’s Kelleners-Sport M3 passing by on Tuesday…

Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Wednesday:

Today the track was open just a couple of hours too. During Monday-Wednesday there was a motorcycle event at the ‘Ring. We hoped we could have seen some car testing. On previous trips, we’ve seen Veyron’s, Murcielago’s, new BMW’s, Porsche’s and Merc’s going FAST at the track with just straight pipes on:

…Every carfreak knows that kind of stuff is fantastic to see!
This week we didn’t see anything too weird.
But there was one new S-Class Merc with roll cage, race seats and some other quite interesting equipment…

At the day time the others went to take some video footage and the M6 and Turbo headed to the nearest Autobahn.
We got races from around 170 km/h (106 mph) to 270 km/h (169 mph) or so… The Turbo was quicker. There was too much traffic for real high speed tests but there where some sections with speeds over 300 km/h (188 mph)…

On Wednesday evening we had great laps at the track and the Turbo lapped maybe its fastest laps.
But we didn’t have a stopwatch with us on a single lap.
It would be nice to see the BTG times and during earlier trips we’ve taken times but now with more experience and with a lot of more power it becomes too risky imho.
Usually there’s just too much traffic for proper lapping and there are some sections with speed limit because of road work so going all out doesn’t sound nice.
If this sounds too lame we’ll take some lap times for sure during the next trip and every one is welcome to drive neck to neck if they like A bit more power than the average ring car helps

After these nice laps we had to buy some more, I think we bought a card with 8 laps. Too bad it started to rain so we stopped the driving before the closing. I think no one came past…

Some pics of our cars at the track,

This Belgian Turbo S driven by a gentleman was fast and apparently was tuned at Manthey,

Last edited by Kaizu; 06-02-2006 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Thursday:

Okay! Now the track was open the whole day! There was more cars now and people from Sweden, Danmark, Italy, Switzerland etc…The only problem was the weather! It rained…Damn it! We drove some laps but it was a bit difficult with Pilot Sport Cups so the laps were just cruising. Some BMWs and Caterhams went past but there was no point driving fast in the rain.

We’ve seen this English RS6 before too, the trunk is always worth mentioning:

By the way there was a black 996 Turbo from all the way from New Zealand according to its plates…I wonder what’s the story behind it

Friday:

Rain again for the whole day…

This beautiful M3 came from Finland too and the first owner was Kimi Raikkonen!

You can see Kimi likes to mod cars (at least back in 2001 when he went to Sauber’s F1 team and got himself his first sports car ) Nowadays his personal transport is usually a CLK-DTM, here's a pic of a same kind of car, spotted very near the 'Ring itself,

Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Because of rain no laps with the Turbo…
More people came, and there were nice cars…modded GT2’s from Sweden. From Great Britain a F40, CGT and bunch of CSL’s and GT3 RS’s.
Locals had too some tricked out GT3’s, CSL’s etc. as always.

Still Sabine and her passengers had fun. She (and the other taxi driver tries too ) enjoys and drifts the M5 around the track with great skill whether dry or wet…nice

Our hotel in Adenau was no motorsport hotel. Still there were friendly Swedish guys with 996 GT3 RS’s and a 964 RS. One guy from Switzerland with a 965 Turbo and a bunch of nice people from England with Lotuses, even two Lotus 340Rs:

Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Saturday:

Last day at the Nürburging for us.
One guy we knew had a crash with his GT3 in yesterdays rain. It was amazing that the guys at Ring-Racing (a local shop) repaired the damage during the night so it was good to go!
That shop has done some amazing work in the past too so definately a thumbs up for those!

It was the last day so we had just some chill laps…Or so I thought
Right after the gate a GSXR1000 from England went past and I decided to follow of course…damn he was fast with that bike! I overtaked him just at the end of the course and we both did thumbs up after the last corner
Had also some fun with a white CSL from Scandinavia in the traffic…

Here’s a great guy with a Noble, has only one leg but that doesn’t stop him, that’s the right attitude!

A 500hp (3.0l twin turbo) E30 M3 and a CGT driving,

Also my brother had some nice action with an older gentleman in a black/yellow-colored race-spec E36 M3. They raced through the traffic neck to neck
Against a race-specced car even the Turbo had to use all it’s power on the straights to keep up.
All in all we managed to do some nice laps.
There was a very bad accident (bikes and cars don’t get along) and during the closure the parking area became packed so we were there just for a while after heading back to hotel to collect our stuff.
The 400+ mile drive from the ‘Ring back to Rostock to the ferry was colourful…of course there was some huge rain and some aquaplaning with the Pilot Cups but our whole group had nice high-speed driving when the road was dry.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Germany isn’t anymore the Autobahn dreamland it used to be but luckily there where many places where we got the cruising speed to around here,

Our 996 Turbo with Techart’s stage 2 went 329 km/h (206 mph) to speedo (something like 315 in the GPS I think…?).
With FVD’s Euro-spec PSS9’s and Techart’s aerodynamic parts (Aerokit I) the car was extremely stable.
During the Autobahn from Lübeck to Rostock I was impressed of the car, if there was a curve ahead getting the speed down to 320 km/h (indicated) was enough This car can take the turns
But damn it drinks gas fast, average consumption for the whole trip was around 13 MPG including many miles of just cruising.
On the track the car drank one tank every five laps
At 329 km/h indicated the revs were at 7000 rpm or so (Techart says max power is at 6000 rpm)…maybe it would have gone faster with different gearing…

Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Some comments:

- Ring is very popular nowadays with more and more traffic, who knows what will be the future of Touristenfahrt…bikes and cars at the same time isn’t a good idea.

- It’s very dangerous track, better take it slowly and check your mirrors. It’s quite impossible to drive a whole lap in weekend without seeing crashes. And in wet…Very dangerous.

- CSL? GT3 RS? Yes there are a lot of those!

- Ferraris and Lambos are usually driven really slowly. This time there were actually a red Diablo and yellow F40 from England that both could drive!

- Respect the more experienced drivers even though they might have just an old Golf. Tourists who have no idea in rentals or in their super cars develop some problems there…check the mirrors please

- Guys here with a lot exotics, no matter are you faraway in the States, but if you like driving perhaps sell one of those super cars and get yourself a track Porsche (or something else) and store it at the ‘Ring and come to drive it a couple of times a year...

- About ‘Ring times, I think they are great, you can easily see the car’s overall performance! But don’t believe manufactures claims!
Imho a good source is Sport Auto magazine with always the same driver but check out the tires and weather conditions too when you compare lap times. www.track-challenge.com is a good place for Sport Auto’s times.
Too bad they haven’t updated it for long time, I talked about this with the site admin Dr. Nagano, who has very beautiful BMW Motorsport colored white CSL:

He said he hasn’t had the time, likes to spend more of his free time driving at the ‘Ring and other tracks than just updating the site

- About Ring line guides, the one available from BMW Motorsport is quite good to begin with.

For all of those who had the time and patience to read my elementary story, thank you.
I’m sure I have missed something interesting and of course I’ve got a bit confused with the days and what happened when.
There are a lot of photos from the ‘Ring at our site and some videos too in the CF-Films section. New material is coming too.

If you are interested more, download for example this vid from 2004 (needs xvid video codec) to see the atmosphere of the place: http://www.carfreaks.net/video/cf-ri...-2004-xvid.avi

Thank you for your time.

See you at the world’s most beautiful and most challenging racetrack!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM
marvls is infamous around these parts
Thanks for sharing, especially the pix. The "Ring" is on the A list of things left to do.
Cheers,
Marv

Old 06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
only at the Ring....

thx for the nice pics & write up!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Grimm333 is infamous around these parts
awesome pics!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
My Finish Friend ,

I always enjoy your awesome photos and write up. Thank you for sharing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carfreaks at the Nürburgring