996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fabspeed GT2 - Installing custome Cones

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed GT2 - Installing custome Cones

Hi,

I've been in touch with Fabspeed for informations regarding their "cones" for noise/drool reduction on the Gt2 Super Sport Exhaust. However, as soon as I ask them for pics, I get "Nada" answer.

Is there any 6 speeder who can show me pics of the cones and where do they weld it on the exhaust system ?

How efficient are they ? Do they remove HP /Tq ?

Thanks
B

Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I think Fabspeed should be answering this question. Nothing worse than a company who won't back their product...

Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I know... that sucks coming from them...

Old 06-20-2006, 03:32 PM
tthoang1 is infamous around these parts
I currently have the Fabspeed GT2 exhaust and I recall a thread where someone installed the cones to reduce the resonance. I don't think it did much to reduce the resonance and there wasn't any mention of reducing HP or torq. I have given some thought to installing dynamat in my car to reduce the resonance. I'm reluctant to give up the exhaust because it makes so much power with my set up. If anyone out there has installed dynamat, let me know if you're happy with it. TIA.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My Remus exhaust seems to be very quiet. I Dynoed as 516 RWHP.

Nothing is as quiet as factory, and the car has a natural resonance at 2-3000 rpm anyways.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Anyone else can comment ?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Ive heared good things about remus, Ari way to go

Old 06-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
HI

This is Joe Fabiani @ Fabspeed Motorsports. We dont have pictures of the cones but I will personally get some photos up on the website soon. Basically here is the scoop..........the CONES are 3.0" heavy duty perforated T 304 stainless steel cones. They look like an empty waffles cone that you would fill with ice cream but are perforated with many holes.

These cones are universal and are designed to be inserted into any exhaust system and welded in place and act to break up the exhaust pulses and thereby quiet the sound and noise. Porsche and other OEM's use cones in their exhaust systems.

For your 996TT exhaust the procedures are as follows for inserting cones. Loosen and remove the V band clamps where the cats meet the rear muffler. Remove the muffler from the 996TT and place it on a welding bench. Insert the cones into the muffler with the tips inside the muffler. Mark the part of the cones that sticks out of the muffler with a magic marker and CUT away the extra length. Then weld the cones in place so they are secure. The cones is therefore inside the tube and is secure. Then take the muffler and re-install on the car and tighten the hardware and you are done.

Sorry for the delay but there are no pictures as of yet. It is easy to visualize......imagine taking a cone and sticking it into a pipe........then cutting away anything sticking out of the pipe and welding it securely.........any Midas or weldor can do this while you wait.

Have agreat day
Joe Fabiani

call for any questions
215-646-4945 (9828fax)

Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Joe,

Can you tell me if this will change the resonance/noise in the cabin by a lot, especially between 2-3k

Old 06-22-2006, 11:10 PM
tthoang1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 993RSClubsport
They look like an empty waffles cone that you would fill with ice cream but are perforated with many holes.

These cones are universal and are designed to be inserted into any exhaust system and welded in place and act to break up the exhaust pulses and thereby quiet the sound and noise. Porsche and other OEM's use cones in their exhaust systems.
Joe,

Thanks for your comments. Let us know when the pics are up. If these cones reduce drone and resonance, you can put me down for a set. I'll let everyone know if they work. Since I have a tip, the Fabspeed GT2 resonates at low RPM, but you already knew that.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by tthoang1
Joe,

Thanks for your comments. Let us know when the pics are up. If these cones reduce drone and resonance, you can put me down for a set. I'll let everyone know if they work. Since I have a tip, the Fabspeed GT2 resonates at low RPM, but you already knew that.
Sure, let us know what you think about it.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by 993RSClubsport
HI

This is Joe Fabiani @ Fabspeed Motorsports. We dont have pictures of the cones but I will personally get some photos up on the website soon. Basically here is the scoop..........the CONES are 3.0" heavy duty perforated T 304 stainless steel cones. They look like an empty waffles cone that you would fill with ice cream but are perforated with many holes.

For your 996TT exhaust the procedures are as follows for inserting cones. Loosen and remove the V band clamps where the cats meet the rear muffler. Remove the muffler from the 996TT and place it on a welding bench. Insert the cones into the muffler with the tips inside the muffler. Mark the part of the cones that sticks out of the muffler with a magic marker and CUT away the extra length. Then weld the cones in place so they are secure. The cones is therefore inside the tube and is secure. Then take the muffler and re-install on the car and tighten the hardware and you are done.

Sorry for the delay but there are no pictures as of yet. It is easy to visualize......imagine taking a cone and sticking it into a pipe........then cutting away anything sticking out of the pipe and welding it securely.........any Midas or weldor can do this while you wait.

Have agreat day
Joe Fabiani

call for any questions
215-646-4945 (9828fax)
Hey Joe,

Did you have any news about the "cones "
??

Bo

Old 07-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Westwood is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed Cones

Hey Joe,

I have been monitoring this as well. Any word on when the cones are available? I have the Sport version but would jump at the chance to make it just a "little" less resonant.

I am sure you can sell a few sets of these!

Roger Forland

Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
PaulKam is infamous around these parts
Picture of fabspeed cones installed

Attached Images