996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lambos vs my GT2: Join them or stomp them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I have been itching to buy a Gallardo and trade in the GT2 since Saturday, but the horsepower junkie side of me keeps holding me back.

The primary reasons I graviate towards the Gallardo is the sexy looks and the sound of the engine and exhaust. I have never wrung it out in the corners, but I would guess it handles exceptionally well. I have drivven both the 6 speed and e-gear and they both felt slow in my opinion, but the sound is magnificent. The speed thing is my one fear. Sure I could dump $35k with Heffner and get another 150 hp, but fear the reliability issues.

The GT2 on the other hand is rare, but looks like every other 9996 turbo to average person. I love the RWD handling, but can be a real challenge, especially if I have 700+ hp on tap. I have driven a GT700 996 turbo and was very impressed. The power was intoxicating and I felt unbeatable in that car. I can only imagine that power driving the lighter weight RWD GT2

However, every time I see a Gallardo, I roll my windows down to hear it the engine and exhaust. I have never done that with a Porsche, unless it was a CGT. The 996 turbo does not have a nice sounding engine in my opinion.

Another thing that worries me about the Gallardo is running into every C6 Z06, Viper and Porsche turbo wanting to race and not having the power to back up the outrageous styling. That would suck to be all show and no go. On the otherhand, in a GT700 GT2 I would be welcoming all challengers and winning most except for the truly fast cars.

This is a tough one for me guys.

George

Old 06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drjoe
i say get the gallardo and demand the wife drive the gt2 for now.....then when spring comes around, just trade in the one you don't want ( keep the one you like better) for the sl55 ...that way you get a couple of months to experience both...( a con is you don't get to feel the gt700..)
We actually just bought the SL55 a couple of months ago.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
I have had both and currently have a very highly modified GT2 which I am still sorting out suspension wise etc.
The G I had was pearl orange, 6 speed, 2 tone tan and black interior, lowered, Avus wheels, crazy stereo and sick sick exhaust(Shank will tell you)
I miss the G very much for the spot on perfect handling and sound...there is just a certain feel in a Lambo that can not be acheived in a Porsche
I have been doing this Lambo-Porsche swap thing for years now and still keep coming back to Porsche but this time in a GT2 for exclusiveness
The G definitely lacked power down low but the handling and sound were to die for
It is a very hard decision between these 2 cars but a 800HP twin turbo G may just make you forget about the 2...normally aspirated no

Old 06-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
Get the Gallardo! You can always buy a Porsche again. Try the darkside.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
If you do sell the GT2 you will regret it for the rest of your life, trust me.
There is nothing like the GT2 out there, the lust you feel for the Lambos will go away after a few months, a GT2 is a GT2 and there is nothing else out there like them.
Just my opinion though.
Bajo

Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I have been itching to buy a Gallardo and trade in the GT2 since Saturday, but the horsepower junkie side of me keeps holding me back.

The primary reasons I graviate towards the Gallardo is the sexy looks and the sound of the engine and exhaust. I have never wrung it out in the corners, but I would guess it handles exceptionally well. I have drivven both the 6 speed and e-gear and they both felt slow in my opinion, but the sound is magnificent. The speed thing is my one fear. Sure I could dump $35k with Heffner and get another 150 hp, but fear the reliability issues.

The GT2 on the other hand is rare, but looks like every other 9996 turbo to average person. I love the RWD handling, but can be a real challenge, especially if I have 700+ hp on tap. I have driven a GT700 996 turbo and was very impressed. The power was intoxicating and I felt unbeatable in that car. I can only imagine that power driving the lighter weight RWD GT2

However, every time I see a Gallardo, I roll my windows down to hear it the engine and exhaust. I have never done that with a Porsche, unless it was a CGT. The 996 turbo does not have a nice sounding engine in my opinion.

Another thing that worries me about the Gallardo is running into every C6 Z06, Viper and Porsche turbo wanting to race and not having the power to back up the outrageous styling. That would suck to be all show and no go. On the otherhand, in a GT700 GT2 I would be welcoming all challengers and winning most except for the truly fast cars.

This is a tough one for me guys.

George
George man, you have alot to decide, yous ound like me tossing in so many factors on why you love both, what if you make the move and then you dont like it, this and that haha, its unnecessary stress over a damm car

Anyway you sound like you want the Gallardo, honestly its fast enough dont you think? I cant saya nything since i think my car which is FAST to mostly anyone i think is slow, but still, i would probably be happy with a stock Gallardo over a stock or slightly modded turbo IMO!

You have a GT2 though, its a tough call, if you want a turbo with gt700 and tractiion, we can always trade jk Anyway goodluck with the decision, i would go Gallardo. Have you ever seen the video of the C6 Z06 vs the yellow gallardo? Gallardo did exceptionally well!!

Martin

Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
there has been one thing ive noticed from a lot fo the gt2 owners here, especially the ones who have sold them.... they miss it or what them back... alot of th ex gt2 owners want the car back after they sold it.. to date i can name maybe 1 guy who did not regret selling his gt2
that says alot imo.. if given the chance i will jump into a gt2 w/o hesitation

Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Not sure about the Gallardo.

My impression is that the 911 is not inherently the best handling car. The combination of rear weight bias and light front end means that the car must be mastered for maximum performance. IMO it takes a very skilled driver to really the push the car to the limit. This is not necessarily true of some of the other cars out there.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Not sure about the Gallardo.

My impression is that the 911 is not inherently the best handling car. The combination of rear weight bias and light front end means that the car must be mastered for maximum performance. IMO it takes a very skilled driver to really the push the car to the limit. This is not necessarily true of some of the other cars out there.
That is pretty true, but when mastered, the GT2 should embarrass the Gallardo no? I was under the impression the GT2 and GT3 were perfected handling wise. Then Ron was saying bump steer this and that, hes working his GT2 suspension and many other people do also, that's crazy!! I thought they were much better :/

Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
It's funny..I go to the shop to add some mods to the TT and I start talking with a guy that has a G. He basically says "Hey man your car is nice but why didn't you just get a Gallardo?" That about sums it up.....

Old 06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
A 800hp Gallardo TT gotta be so tempting.

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/v...aroundtown.wmv

Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
It's funny..I go to the shop to add some mods to the TT and I start talking with a guy that has a G. He basically says "Hey man your car is nice but why didn't you just get a Gallardo?" That about sums it up.....
Blah that's how a felt next to a guy with a new F430 who said he sold his turbo for F430 and would never go back!!

Originally Posted by vincentdds
A 800hp Gallardo TT gotta be so tempting.

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/v...aroundtown.wmv
Yes sir, tempting is not even the word!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
George,

From all your posts it sounds like you want the G. The GT2 is one bad @$$ machine, but the G has the looks and sound. There are power options for the G as well. Go with your gut, you can always get another GT2. The only hesitation would be if you bought your 2 new, you can't replace knowing its entire history.

Life is about experiences. Never turn down a new one you know will be good, so the G is it.

JCM

Old 06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
I think that the choice between the two, has alot to do with what you want out of a car.

Before I got my GT2, I considered the following cars:Ford GT, Gallardo, Murcielago, F430. For me the GT2 was a natural choice. I'm somebody who NEEDS a car that performs. To me a GT2/700 is the ultimate performance machine. Sure a TT Viper may be faster in the quarter mile, and a Lotus Exige may corner better, but the GT2/700 will be faster than all but 2 or 3 heavily modded vehicles on 4 wheels and almost all on 2 wheels. It will also outhandle everything but the most "go-cartish" under powered cars.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
I would stick with the GT2 to be honest. My best friend sold his RWD 996TT with around 650hp to get a 2005 Gallardo. After 9 months and several days spent at the dealership he decided to trade it in for a 997TT that he is expecting to be delivered to him. I think that the Lambo is too much of an event rather than a car. It's like those supermodels that you always admire but would feel akward with them in bed... Too fragile!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lambos vs my GT2: Join them or stomp them?