996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 AM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stuka
Guys, as some of you know. I had a 996 Turbo for 2 years, hated the AWD and PSM even though when I bought it I thought I would like it, it was a boyhood dream of mine to own one.

So I took a bath and sold it and got a GT2.

Problem is, this rear seat business is going to be a problem for me sooner rathre than later. When we have kids, the GT2 is going to become worthless, because I can't put a baby seat in the back.

I konw it can be done, but to risk possible insurance coverage problems on my family is just selfish.

So, I have looked into the possibility of converting a 996 Turbo to GT2.

I can live with the weight and the thicker carpets and what not, but what I can't live with is PSM.

So, here is what I think is needed:

1. GT2 harness.

2. GT2 DME (which means GT2 turbos)

3. GT2 front carrier.

4. removal of front transfer case and half shafts

Please add other required parts.

Maybe, just maybe it can be doable...

Plus the Turbo insurnace is light years cheaper than the GT2. And yes, I am speaking from experience.
What are you referring to: 3. GT2 front carrier ? Please explain.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Stuka,

Please call me FIRST when the GT2 "becomes worthless" .

Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Do you track the car? If not getting rid of PSM is really useless.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stuka
Problem is, this rear seat business is going to be a problem for me sooner rathre than later. When we have kids, the GT2 is going to become worthless, because I can't put a baby seat in the back.

I konw it can be done, but to risk possible insurance coverage problems on my family is just selfish.
Why not just get a cheap sedan for <$10k for riding with the kids? If the GT2 is no longer listed as a primary driver, you'll save on insurance too, assuming you have a sane insurance company. Even if you do all the powertrain conversions, you're still up a few hundred pounds, among other things (smaller wheels, less aggressive aero/styling, etc.)

Justin

Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I wanna convert to just front wheel drive.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Do you track the car? If not getting rid of PSM is really useless.
Of course, and after more than 20 track days, I come to realized that PSM sucks, big time.

When I turn something off, I expect it to stay off.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by justinmm2
Why not just get a cheap sedan for <$10k for riding with the kids? If the GT2 is no longer listed as a primary driver, you'll save on insurance too, assuming you have a sane insurance company. Even if you do all the powertrain conversions, you're still up a few hundred pounds, among other things (smaller wheels, less aggressive aero/styling, etc.)

Justin
When you have kids, you will need three seats.

Sometimes I just want to be able to drive the whole family in a fast car. The current GT2 doesn't do it. From my observations, two seaters becomes not very useful with children, and I have many two seater only couple friends. A Turbo seating configuration would be optimal.

I don't care about the aero and the wheels (same size as the Turbo actually, same wheel), the goal is to have a good ole fashioned RWD Turbo with no electronics. 964 is too old to be considered. 993 is also AWD.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by silvershark
What are you referring to: 3. GT2 front carrier ? Please explain.
Because there are no half shafts, the wheel carrier and the front control arms and what not assembly is different on the GT2 versus the Turbo.

Also, the GT2 has factory coilover, whereas the Turbo does not.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
from my experience psm only comes on when you are hacking. rarely should trigger if you are taking the correct lines. you need all front wheel drive.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by oak
from my experience psm only comes on when you are hacking. rarely should trigger if you are taking the correct lines. you need all front wheel drive.
I like driving my car sideways on the street, and I also like trail braking on the track.

PSM lets you do neither, and it pissed me off enough that I decided that losing $$ over the Turbo was worth it to get rid of that worthless POS PSM.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
oak
sideways on the street? well you definatley have the wrong vehicle. you should have thought about it before your purchased the turbo. rear engine porsches in general aren't set up to go sideways. everone knows that.

as far as trail braking why can't you do that in the turbo? I think you would do yourself a favor and get a 240 sx and go sideways all day. imho it's not that fun. more fun to be rewarded by taking a corner at max speed and hitting the apex correctly meaning the smoothest in shortest amount of time.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by oak
sideways on the street? well you definatley have the wrong vehicle. you should have thought about it before your purchased the turbo. rear engine porsches in general aren't set up to go sideways. everone knows that.
Er, wrong.

I can get my GT2 to go seriously sideways on the street, on command. Why do you think the GT2 has a reputation for being a death trap? It is basically the same car as the Turbo without the front drive and the POS PSM.

Originally Posted by oak
as far as trail braking why can't you do that in the turbo? I think you would do yourself a favor and get a 240 sx and go sideways all day. imho it's not that fun. more fun to be rewarded by taking a corner at max speed and hitting the apex correctly meaning the smoothest in shortest amount of time.
PSM comes back on when you really trail brake because it thinks you need help. Have you tried it on the track?

You need to do yourself a favor and not tell others what is good for them. The GT2 does everything I wanted. It lets me do lurid oversteer on the street, and it lets me trail brake all day long without that stupid PSM coming back on trying to save me form myself.

Like what Turbo's used to be, made famous by the 964 Turbo, the Widow Maker.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
oak
well, keep it up and WILL lose it sooner or later. I hope no one get's injured or killed FOR YOUR KIDS SAKE.

Last edited by oak; 07-31-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by oak
well, keep it up and WILL lose it sooner or later. I hope no one get's injured or killed FOR YOUR KIDS SAKE.
Thanks for caring.

I am sorry you can't drive a RWD car without electronics. Perhaps a few autox classes and basic car control classes will ease you fear.

And I have been doing this since the days of E36 M3. If you can't go sideways with your eyes closed, you are the problem.

Now, back to the regular scheduled RWD conversion programming.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'm glad I skipped to the back of this thread and read Heavy Chevy's post... Good to get the perspective of someone tracking their car the way I use mine...

I'll be staying AWD!
Mike
Heavy did not perform a proper conversion. He left the front halfshafts and diff guts in place, and only removed the front axle. He'll argue about it forever, but the fact is he doesn't have any data supporting how his car would perform with the conversion done properly, so unfortunately you or anyone else can't use his experience as an accurate template. If you do a *proper* conversion and install a LSD, you're car will be faster in all areas; around turns, and in a straight line.

Or...you could leave it AWD and enjoy it that way as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!