996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:39 PM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Heavy did not perform a proper conversion. He left the front halfshafts and diff guts in place, and only removed the front axle. He'll argue about it forever, but the fact is he doesn't have any data supporting how his car would perform with the conversion done properly, so unfortunately you or anyone else can't use his experience as an accurate template. If you do a *proper* conversion and install a LSD, you're car will be faster in all areas; around turns, and in a straight line.

Or...you could leave it AWD and enjoy it that way as well.
Wait, he left the half shaft in there!?

I think the rear suspension is the same, so the GT2 coilover should be straight bolt on.

The front is a little challenging with new carrier and all kinds of stuff.

But what I really want to know is the GT2 harness and DME, that would be doing it right, no?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stuka
Wait, he left the half shaft in there!?
Yep, as well as the the front diff, fluid and all the guts. So the car was forced to push through all the friction left there by the front diff and halfshafts.

I think the rear suspension is the same, so the GT2 coilover should be straight bolt on.

The front is a little challenging with new carrier and all kinds of stuff.
A run a JIC coil-over set to GT2 specs with a GT2 rear sway. The car handles unvelievably well. No understeer at all as far as I can tell.

But what I really want to know is the GT2 harness and DME, that would be doing it right, no?
No reason to run the harness and DME. But you could if you wanted to.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-31-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
No reason to run the harness and DME. But you could if you wanted to.
I do not want PSM, that is why I sold the Turbo.

This is the only way that I konw to get rid of it properly.

Ruf won't reprogram the Turbo DEM (tried already).

Or if you have another way, I am all ears.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I do not want PSM, that is why I sold the Turbo.

This is the only way that I konw to get rid of it properly.

Ruf won't reprogram the Turbo DEM (tried already).

Or if you have another way, I am all ears.
Protomotive.

When I turn my PSM off (which I do 98% of the time), it's off completely.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Heavy did not perform a proper conversion. He left the front halfshafts and diff guts in place, and only removed the front axle. He'll argue about it forever, but the fact is he doesn't have any data supporting how his car would perform with the conversion done properly, so unfortunately you or anyone else can't use his experience as an accurate template. If you do a *proper* conversion and install a LSD, you're car will be faster in all areas; around turns, and in a straight line.

Or...you could leave it AWD and enjoy it that way as well.
It is good to hear a different perspective with a postive spin to the conversion. I am strongly considering the change but just can't pull the trigger. A friend of mine just picked up a 03' GT2...so I thought I would drive it and go from there.
Maybe then I can generate the Testicular fortitude to make the conversion.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Er, wrong.

I can get my GT2 to go seriously sideways on the street, on command. Why do you think the GT2 has a reputation for being a death trap? It is basically the same car as the Turbo without the front drive and the POS PSM.

PSM comes back on when you really trail brake because it thinks you need help. Have you tried it on the track?

You need to do yourself a favor and not tell others what is good for them. The GT2 does everything I wanted. It lets me do lurid oversteer on the street, and it lets me trail brake all day long without that stupid PSM coming back on trying to save me form myself.

Like what Turbo's used to be, made famous by the 964 Turbo, the Widow Maker.
I have to agree with the PSM, it does come on no matter what you do. High speed sweepers will get you no matter what line you take, so the old "take the right lines" crap is out the window.

When I did the conversion I only removed the torque tube, I wanted to try it out before doing the whole conversion, what Scott fails to mention is that me not liking the RWD had nothing to do with handling because the car handled better in RWD, though it overpowered the wheels, which LSD would certainly have helped, to me if you are going to do all that then just get a GT2.

But my problem was that my car didnt pull the same way out of corners, on the highway from 20 to 100 or 60 to 130, just wasnt the same in a straight line, and it had nothing to do with LSD or front drivetrain friction. The car was just slower accelerating. Car did still understeer though which woud be made to greater affect by taking more weight from the front of the car unless you completely change the front end to GT2 spec, at which point you have done : LSD, Complete RWD conversion, Front suspension configuration, and you still dont have a GT2 because you still have motor mounts, about 400 lbs, PSM to disable, clutch actuators to remove and several other things to change, and it's still likely you will be off and at this point you have more than covered the extra cost of getting a GT2 so just get the GT2.

I have said before and I will always say the turbo is not meant to be RWD unless you drive in straight lines only, which a Porsche was never meant to do.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-31-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
My observations on PSM.....

It has been bothering me and my tuner for some time now that PSM is acting up at the 1/4 track.... and after the recent 1/4 day we concluded that the car is being held back by PSM. Even Todd K thought it was on the dyno.... Cels coming on and pulling back the car. Now this was at 800 rwhp etc...
My car is slightly different though since Im running GT3 code and not the 996TT code in my car. But the PSM code is identical to that of a 996TT.
Too bad we didnt run the car with PSM disabled all together.... I think we would get some better numbers... next time....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI

It has been bothering me and my tuner for some time now that PSM is acting up at the 1/4 track.... and after the recent 1/4 day we concluded that the car is being held back by PSM. Even Todd K thought it was on the dyno.... Cels coming on and pulling back the car. Now this was at 800 rwhp etc...
My car is slightly different though since Im running GT3 code and not the 996TT code in my car. But the PSM code is identical to that of a 996TT.
Too bad we didnt run the car with PSM disabled all together.... I think we would get some better numbers... next time....
markski
That's weird,because the car does burnouts and so does mine as long as the button on the dash is off......wouldn't it kick in then and stop the car from doing burnouts?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

markski
How it it disabled completely, through wiring or programming, or is it even possible? THe new GT2 has the best system with a 3 step PSM that is enabled, partially disabled and the completely disabled. Tuners, can we make something like this, or has it been made and I missed it?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
JOe, I know its hard to understand... I even let two other guys drive my car one of which is not a even a P car owner except he is a Evo tuner and he said the saem thing today after he drove it. So we ran the car without the PSM stuff by pulling the fuse and the car came alive... maybe u should try it... no joke. Just don't slam on the brakes too hard...
I had the option of having it disabled altogether via ECU but I would have to sacrifice ABS as well.
Yes we can do burnouts but it is still passive active.... it even says so in the manual. God only knows what its doing at that HP level.

Heavychevy,

It can be done by running GT2 code... u still maintain ABS that way but do not have PSM. However, Im not sure that would work with AWD.
Problem is that PSM and ABS go hand in hand in the 996 TT code...

markski

click to view

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 PM
This is why I bought up the GT2 DME and harness...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 PM
JOe, I know its hard to understand... I even let two other guys drive my car one of which is not a even a P car owner except he is a Evo tuner and he said the saem thing today after he drove it. So we ran the car without the PSM stuff by pulling the fuse and the car came alive... maybe u should try it... no joke. Just don't slam on the brakes too hard...
I had the option of having it disabled altogether via ECU but I would have to sacrifice ABS as well.
Yes we can do burnouts but it is still passive active.... it even says so in the manual. God only knows what its doing at that HP level.

Heavychevy,

It can be done by running GT2 code... u still maintain ABS that way but do not have PSM. However, Im not sure that would work with AWD.
Problem is that PSM and ABS go hand in hand in the 996 TT code...

markski
Do you still have to pull the fuse then? Or did you do that because the PSM was not disabled on your code at the time? I'd love to do this myself.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Do you still have to pull the fuse then? Or did you do that because the PSM was not disabled on your code at the time? I'd love to do this myself.
yes I will pull the fuse next time. U have to be aware that ur PSM and all ABS are disabled so be careful.....
Im going to run some datalogs via the PBox back to back with and with the fuse soon and ILL compare the data... but we are pretty sure its holding it back.... Even my tuner believes so....
Now, Im at a lot more HP so That may have something to do with this as well. The trick, and I heard some have done this, is to run GT2 code on a RWD 996 TT... u maintain ABS but no PSM...
markski

click to view

Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 AM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Confused and Undecided

OK...with all being discussed.
Is the 996TT a faster, better steering & handling car with the conversion than the AWD version?
I am not a drag racer, I personally am looking to reduce weight,
improve steering response and handling. And ultimately make an overall
quicker better car.
Is the improvements only a matter of preference and opinion?
Or does the conversion actually improve the car towards the GT2 standard?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
and it had nothing to do with LSD or front drivetrain friction.
And you know this, how? Oh that's right, you don't actually know this. Since you failed to do a proper conversion you absolutely can not know this.

I have said before and I will always say the turbo is not meant to be RWD unless you drive in straight lines only, which a Porsche was never meant to do.
And you will continue to be wrong...each and every time you say it.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-01-2007 at 07:43 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!