996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
what does a whole conversion consist of? easy to do?
Remove the transfer case, front diff, front half shafts.

Install LSD.

But to really do it right, I think you are better off if you start off with the X50, do the above, install the GT2 harness and DME.

Oh, and get rid of that over assisted hydraulic crappy clutch. The over assisted soft clutch was the number 2 thing that totally pissed me off. You should try the GT2 non assisted clutch. There is no vagueness. You grabs and bites at the same spot everytime. And it doesn't feel like you are stepping on nothing when you change gears.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Divexxtreme,

I went through my emails with promotive, and they told me they would not do PSM removal, actually. Just what you described in your post, which is removing the front drive assembly.

If I do go back to the Turbo, I would not be putting the GT2 aero kit, I would just get rid of the front drive properly (including the removal of PSM), and have an awesome 4 seater.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stuka
Divexxtreme,

I went through my emails with promotive, and they told me they would not do PSM removal, actually. Just what you described in your post, which is removing the front drive assembly.

If I do go back to the Turbo, I would not be putting the GT2 aero kit, I would just get rid of the front drive properly (including the removal of PSM), and have an awesome 4 seater.
Ahh...Gotcha. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
This is great info, guys! Keep it coming and keep it clean!

As I stated above, I've removed my front driveshaft and axles but not the diff yet. I do have PSS9's and recently installed both front and rear adjustable Eibach sways and they are set at neutral/middle (with stock drop links-do I need to upgrade these?).

I have yet to corner balance the car but will likely after I hit a local, upcoming autocross to get to know the car better. Unfortunately it will be my first one in this car so I'm not going to have anything to compare before/after to... Besides, there are too many variables on a daily basis (read: driver as typically being the first) to just say that one setup is faster than another. This is based on my personal experience road racing motorcycles with a pro license... With an identical setup, when really running at the edge/limits (which I've done and proven running within .5 seconds of lap records in my relative classes raced) the driver/rider becomes one of the bigger variables! On good days when my head was 'right' I could be 1-2 seconds faster at Big Willow as an example. This is running in the mid to low 1:20's on a 750 so I hope you'd agree that is near the limit for most mortal humans!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Here we go again. Trail braking will trip PSM every time in the 996 Turbo. And no, I don't mean the dash light flashing, I mean, pay attention to the noises in the rear, and the fact that your car is not behaving naturally by that damn pause. Yes, the pause caused by the differential braking.

And where is this long list of GT2/3 drivers that said "it just went?"

GT2/3's are very predictable as far as that goes if you have basic RWD trainning. Being able to feel the car is something that cars like the Turbo try to insulate the driver from. I suppose if that's all that you are used to, then you would think the GT2/3 are death traps.

But just because you think it cannot be done doesn't make it so. In fact, GT cars are easier to drive sideways than a hamster powered E36 M3.
\

go to rennspeed and do a search better yet post an inquery. in fact this was just posted the other day. on the street even. ttp://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=367976

check this out. GT3 losing at eau rouge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpJYWe8s0A the rear engined design doesn't suite too well driving over the edge.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by oak
\

go to rennspeed and do a search better yet post an inquery. in fact this was just posted the other day. on the street even. ttp://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=367976

check this out. GT3 losing at eau rouge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpJYWe8s0A the rear engined design doesn't suite too well driving over the edge.
I don't need to read it.

I live it.

I have a GT2 that I have tracked, that I drive sideways every time I drive it.

It's not a big deal.

Why are you so scared of oversteer?

Have you driven a 964 turbo? The oversteer in the car is order of magnitude harder to control.

Oh, and when you overdraw the traction account, you are going to spin, it doesn't matter where the engine is.

As the saying goes, it's the driver, not the f'ing car.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I would love to meet up with you. and go for a drive.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Silly question, perhaps. Can one just take the GT2 and add rear seats? Wouldn't this be easier than converting a Turbo, given that you already have a GT2?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
oak
I have some rear sets for you. and belts.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by justinmm2
Silly question, perhaps. Can one just take the GT2 and add rear seats? Wouldn't this be easier than converting a Turbo, given that you already have a GT2?
I was previously involved in the insurance industry. It is the most crooked industry there is. Think cash and hooker bribes. I can tell you stories.

Anyway, the GT2 is classified as a two seater. And I would rather not go there with any insurance company, knowing how the adjuster business is run.

Trust me, you don't want to go there.

And yes, it is very easy to do. All the mounts are there.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by oak
I would love to meet up with you. and go for a drive.
Sounds good.

Look, seriously, I am not trying to brag or be an ***. I am trying to drive home the point that the only reason why the Turbo is considered safe is because of AWD and PSM.

Without these two things, it drives like a GT2.

Which means, when you have the wheels turned slightly, and you get on the throttle, A LOT, the back end will want to become the front end.

Whether or not the outcome is no big deal or a crashed GT2 on the side of the road depends on how comfortable you are driving a high HP RWD car.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
oak
me neither< I would just like to observe this sideways prowness on the street. everytime you go out. right? let me know where and when. I'll be there.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Sounds good.

Look, seriously, I am not trying to brag or be an ***. I am trying to drive home the point that the only reason why the Turbo is considered safe is because of AWD and PSM.

Unfortunately, some people refuse to believe this fact.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
I can definately feel psm kicking on but it's always from my mis adventures. from my personal experience psm rewards smoothness. sure if you are pushing the car to the point of psm is kicking in then you are at the limit or very close. there's a reason why it's kicking on, if you are at the limit constantly and want to go over the limit you will eventually lose it. theres a long list of GT2 and GT3 guys that have gone past the limit, they will all tell you it just went. once it's gone it's gone. no turning back.
That's not true, I have seen several videos of guys drifting Porsches around and that is far past the edge of adhesion. The porsches are not undriftable and if you race cars you'd know that at some point you will lose it (traction) but you can gain it back. If you lose it and over correct, then, it's over, but to say the Porsche isnt maneagable past the edge of traction is wrong. I have lost it in mine and the speed that the back end comes around on correction is devastating so you CANT LIFT, if you lift, be ready to eat dirt.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sounds good.

Actually the turbo is worse than a GT2 without those two things, especially without LSD.

#1 Soft steering as already mentioned, cant feel when your losing traction soon enough.
#2 300+ extra lbs = more pressure on tires = less traction at speed
#3 Much loser (motor mounts, etc), less aggressive camber, higher ride height, body roll etc, will ride outside edge of tires in turning and lose adhesion quicker.

If you think the GT2 is a widowmaker, wait until some of the dragstars try to take some turns.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!