996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Also I've told people for about 2 years now that we just won't do that conversion. Maybe it's because we live in California or maybe I just don't like the results.. Remember the GT2 was never balanced for 700, 800hp etc... If you want edgy RWD and no PSM then I suggest starting with it in the right form/platform a la GT2 and going from there. I guess master that and see how much more you can take?
Damn, your sexy when your aggressive.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-01-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
James won't do it plain and simple. Also I've told people for about 2 years now that we just won't do that conversion. Maybe it's because we live in California or maybe I just don't like the results.. Remember the GT2 was never balanced for 700, 800hp etc... If you want edgy RWD and no PSM then I suggest starting with it in the right form/platform a la GT2 and going from there. I guess master that and see how much more you can take?
Won't do which conversion, RWD? or full GT2 suspension conversion?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Damn, your sexy when your agressive.

Dude.. I got a few words for you! It's a good thing I am sitting here typing on the loo (yes that's toilet) because I just about crapped myself laughing

You're the exception of course because I've seen "footage" of you driving. I know you can handle a few broadies...

Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kato
Won't do which conversion, RWD? or full GT2 suspension conversion?
Won't do a simple RWD conversion. And certainly not without the _full_ GT2 suspension, brakes, uprights, LSD etc.. The sticky point to me is still the PSM and the ECU. The TT's is just not the same as the GT2s. I don't like "unpredictable", especially when people's lives are technically at risk with 700 plus horsies.

Sorry if I sound like a grandma but I really do care about people and I don't want the cars leaving out shop unsafe/unsteady or unpredictable.... In fact, we did 3 GT2s a while back, one 640 and two 700s and I swore I wouldn't do anything above a 700 and even then I'd need to know for sure that the owner is/was up to it. Those cars were/are a handful no matter what anyone says. Put those same kits on a 996TT AWD car and the car is smooth, safe and very predictable. Even the 850s we've built for the TTs have been the same.

Last edited by sharkster; 08-01-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Damn, your sexy when your aggressive.

I just realized... maybe it's the "NA-ness" inside me coming out?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Sorry if I sound like a grandma but I really do care about people and I don't want the cars leaving out shop unsafe/unsteady or unpredictable.... In fact, we did 3 GT2s a while back, one 640 and two 700s and I swore I wouldn't do anything above a 700 and even then I'd need to know for sure that the owner is/was up to it. Those cars were/are a handful no matter what anyone says. Put those same kits on a 996TT AWD car and the car is smooth, safe and very predictable. Even the 850s we've built for the TTs have been the same.
The TT's with RWD at very high power levels are definitely a handful. Can't argue that for a minute. But a very enjoyable handful.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Won't do a simple RWD conversion. And certainly not without the _full_ GT2 suspension, brakes, uprights, LSD etc.. The sticky point to me is still the PSM and the ECU. The TT's is just not the same as the GT2s. I don't like "unpredictable", especially when people's lives are technically at risk with 700 plus horsies.

Well as much as I hate to admit it, the Shark makes a great a point. After I had the flash done I felt a difference, now after having the exhaust completed, holy ****, what a difference. I guess that with the flash, exhaust (Europipe II) and DV's, I'm probably at 550 or so hp and it is a slingshot. The exhaust has given the turbos a new life. They spool up so much quicker and with a lot more ferocity. As Jeremy Clarkson said about the CGT, "You better be awake when you're driving this machine."

Believe me, at just 550 hp it is dangerous if you don't stay constantly aware of what the car is telling you. Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of always wanting to floor it, not smart, but a whole lot of fun. I'm finally seeing 1.1 bar in 3rd and 4th at around 4700 rpm and the pulling sensation is like a drug. I can't imagine what a Gt700 or anything similar must feel like. My car is triple A (minor leagues) compared to some of the crazy horsepower that some of the cars produce on this forum. I'm just trying to stay within the learning curve.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 08-01-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
The TT's with RWD at very high power levels are definitely a handful. Can't argue that for a minute. But a very enjoyable handful.
What did they say at school (you know back when we were into girls more than cars) anything more than a handful....?

I'd happily build you a 1400 front wheel horsepower anything! Only you tho

Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
For a sub-par driver, this might be an accurate statement.

Weight loss is a relatively easy fix.

FYI...motor (engine) mounts are the same between the GT2 and the Turbo. Part number: 993 375 049 07.

Ride height, camber, body roll, etc.. are all easily fixed with a proper suspension and suspension adjustment.

So any car that's faster than yours is a "dragstar"? Regardless of what type of suspension, brakes or overall setup it has? Interesting.....
LOL find me a driver that doesnt want to feel the car he's driving and show me a race he's won. That is a no brainer for race drivers and one of the biggest complaints from anyone who has driven a Turbo (soft steering and uninvolved)

Weight loss is an easy fix, and expensive one too, and so are LSD, Drivetrain removal, suspension setup, more power, clutch actuator removal, down force, disabling PSM and brake upgrade. Why shouldnt one just buy a GT2 again?

No the car that have no value at Road Course any longer due to obese power upgrades are the dragstars. 7,8,900 whp fit the bill, I have a corvette for drag racing, they seem to be able to go 9's without 1000 rwhp and I no longer have a desire to even try.

Last edited by heavychevy; 08-01-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm still waiting for someone to post some REAL DATA that proves the car accelerates better with RWD, REAL DATA, no beginner physics equations allowed.

I.E.

Trap Speeds
Acceleration G's

Real Acceleration DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by oak
I have seen the video. so what? like I said similar isn't the same. there isn't one rear engined porsche in the D1 series of all the top drifters. they can choose any vehicle and not one porsche. why?

like I said, I would love to meet up with you anytime to witness your sideway prowness. maybe you can teach me a few things. I would to learn. pm me and I will meet up with you anytime. and we can do some friendly comparisons.
Not many German D1 Drifters, you have to think about sponsorships and Porsche wont be in a hurry to sponsor drifting. Not to mention most people start off with cheaper platforms, the start up and maintenance costs for a Porsche Race Car (which is what it is essentially) are huge and there isnt enough money in drifting for teams to eat that cost just yet.

Has more to do with money than it does platform. Majority of the D1 cars are Japanese cars with a Viper and a Mustang thrown in the mix to get some american interest.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Not many German D1 Drifters, you have to think about sponsorships and Porsche wont be in a hurry to sponsor drifting. Not to mention most people start off with cheaper platforms, the start up and maintenance costs for a Porsche Race Car (which is what it is essentially) are huge and there isnt enough money in drifting for teams to eat that cost just yet.

Has more to do with money than it does platform. Majority of the D1 cars are Japanese cars with a Viper and a Mustang thrown in the mix to get some american interest.
no it's not about money the japenese sponsered companies have deep pockets. you are correct it's about platform, and the rear engine isn't prefered due to less than ideal handling for going sideways. I have spoken to one of the top drivers and what they thought about porsches and why they dont drive them. he mentioned that control isn't the problem it's when they have to swing the car from left to right in a super tight quick response the front engine rear drive handles much more predictable and much quicker.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm still waiting for someone to post some REAL DATA that proves the car accelerates better with RWD, REAL DATA, no beginner physics equations allowed.

I.E.

Trap Speeds
Acceleration G's

Real Acceleration DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heavychevy

Would 993TT data be good?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jean
Heavychevy

Would 993TT data be good?
Jean the data might be good but for the 993TT platform that is. There's no PSM (lucky you!) etc...

Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by oak
no it's not about money the japenese sponsered companies have deep pockets. you are correct it's about platform, and the rear engine isn't prefered due to less than ideal handling for going sideways. I have spoken to one of the top drivers and what they thought about porsches and why they dont drive them. he mentioned that control isn't the problem it's when they have to swing the car from left to right in a super tight quick response the front engine rear drive handles much more predictable and much quicker.
How many of the Japanese companies have non Japanese cars?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion Complete...one word...AWESOME!!!