996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24's Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:35 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kevin
Mike are you a betting man?? Are you willing to back up your claim at the track?? I've got a customers car in your back yard..

Are you willing to take your Stock K24's with your GIAC tune and wager a bet against one of my K16 hybrids systems with my tune??

Kevin,

Put your K16 hybrids against the Protomotive K24 hybrids and you will be the one shelling out the $$$

Compair stock k16's to stock k24's
OR
Compair hybrid k16's to hybrid k24's

Old 02-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I don't want to get in between all this betting because I enjoy it if it leads to a shootout!

But what really puzzles me is all this talk about lag...Do people really feel it is so noticeable on the street, let alone the track?

If you don't want lag, just drop one gear and you are done. How many of you stay in the same gear when they want to pass another car? Better yet, how many of you go below 4K RPM on the track? If you do, you need to take some driving lessons.

What is the funniest though is to try to establish wich turbo has more lag through a dyno run. we can't even establish top HP between different dynos and operators, now we want to establish which turbos have more lag? What about the programming, intake and exhaust that go with the turbos, don't they impact lag?

Back to the betting now, when is the next shootout?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
What is the funniest though is to try to establish wich turbo has more lag through a dyno run.
Jean, why is that so far fetched?

1. Use the same car.
2. Use the same programming.
3. Install the the various turbos.
4. Overlay the graphs.

That has been my point this entire time!

You start throwing in a variable like software and the whole test is a bust.

Are there any other 6speeders out there that agree, or am I wasting my breath?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin
Mike To many GAIC tuners instead of tuning a file for K16 hybrids, they load up a K24 program and hope it will run and perform with Hybrids.. The fact is, the K24 tuning does not allow for the early boost that is generated with the K16 wheel. If you aren't tuning for the boost = torque, you efforts go down the toilet. Forget the term of lag.. If you aren't seeing torque being built at 2000 RPM 300ft lbs 400ft lbs, where are you seeing it???

FINALLY!

So that leads me to my next point. Since G.I.A.C. does not have hybrid software, and their programming is the most popular choice, why do so many people do it? There are far better options!

We did a car for Brandywine Porsche a few months ago. There were no K24's available for sale so they put in some hybrids. The K24 software was installed.

The car did not reach the 500whp mark. In fact, it was not even close. However, the car did spool up faster and made more power than K16's.

What bothers me most is these ridiculous comparisons people are making. I have yet to see an apples to apples scenario.

I've just seen debate over using Company A's turbos and software compared to Company B's. This is not what I'm questioning.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 02-24-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
Mike and Kevin help me out....Shouldn't each car be tuned for the turbo that is actually installed on the car? I would think the tune would be different for a stock K16, 16 hybrid, stock 24, hybrid K24/18, etc. I don't see how anyone can compare different turbos with the same ECU tuning. I am new to turbos help me guys. Thanks, John

Old 02-24-2007, 06:42 PM
digitekkz is infamous around these parts
Alright guys I have been in the market for a new turbo lately, but the more research I do the more I get confused because of different opinion that everyone has on a certain turbo.

My Question is: I want to make about 525-550 to the wheel and what is my best approach to doing that.

Will a k24 with Giac tuned software,exhaust,intake, and dv do that?

Please recommend a setup, I dont really want spend much more than I need to so just want to get it right the first time.

Just want to be able to smoke a Z06 that all.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Its just me... but I dont think you can smoke a C6 Z06 with 525-550 hp to the wheel (AWD)...

I had a GIAC Stage III (K24 / EVOMS Intake / DVs / Europipe Stage II Loud) ...maybe its just me ... but it didnt seem "sufficient"...

Although..quite recently... after a pair UMW Stage II Zero Clearance snails got installed...I saw a Gallardo get somewhat smaller on my rearview mirror...

Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by digitekkz

Please recommend a setup, I dont really want spend much more than I need to so just want to get it right the first time.
Protomotive K24/18g's with software and injectors will be the last kit you will need. Don't waste your time and money with stock K24's or any K16 based turbo.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
JWC
I have the Protomotive 24/18 and I will let you know how it stacks up to a C6 Z06 when I find one to run me. I did crush a 02 Z06.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:03 PM
02 z06 are not that fast, but the but 06 are.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:06 PM
How much would the Protomotive setup cost me just in parts? their site is not done yet so I dont even know the pricing.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM
JWC
Yeah, I know I don't think I can take one but I will try. I do have a 560 RWHP 03 KB Cobra that my P car out runs.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by digitekkz
How much would the Protomotive setup cost me just in parts? their site is not done yet so I dont even know the pricing.
Just call Todd and discuss options with him. If I recall correctly his turbos are priced about the same as K16 hybrids or new K24's from someone else. Just make the call you won't regret it.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:18 PM
JWC
He has a set for sale I think he wants $3,900.00 or so for. I am not sure though; he has it posted in a thread somewhere. If your car is an X50 like mine was its $1000.00 for the upgrade (24/18) turbos, $400 for new preset WG's, $2,975.00 for ECU upgrade. Do as K24madness suggest and give Todd a call.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I am pretty sure that the vettes own the road until the new viper comes out, so that all I really want to compete with. I am not that much of a horsepower junkie but want to have enough just incase. So you guys dont think I can put more than 500 hp to the wheels with k24?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24's Anyone?