996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just bought a 2001 turbo...upgrade time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deepblue
OK guys, just bought a used low mileage 996 turbo, it runs pretty strong, but I know I will need more. I have researched the different "power" houses SharkWerks, PSI/Orton, EVOMS, AWE etc...they all offer very similar packages with little price difference. Sharkwerks seems a little more expensive than the others. Some offer headers, others dont....So here is the question...who would you go with?

I am looking for a real world 550ish hp/tq car that is relaible and with little lag. Would you swap out the interecoolers as well? I Drive in some of the hotter areas like TX, NV, CO , NM and AZ quite a bit. The Vendor I go with will also do PSS9's, hose kit and maybe some other tweaks awhile they have the car if cost effective. The car will be in Dallas but would ship to get the best work for the money if needed.

Any thoughts, advice, brand preferences, suggestions (good and bad)???

I appreciate all replies.

Christopher Anders
If you're looking for 550ish crank power you can _almost_ get there with stock turbos, programing and a free flowing exhaust. You could change to K24s but you'd likely not be too keen on the lag. Start with those things.. some DV's as well. Since it's an 01 you'll need to change your spark plugs. I'm sure there are plenty of places in Texas. That type of stuff is a single day thing. Drive in and drive home with 520plus HP. You shouldn't need to ship your car anywhere for something like that. It's a very simple job. The same can be said for the PSS9s. I wouldn't bother shipping the car anywhere until you hit the 700HP mark and/or motors start coming apart

Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
If you're looking for 550ish crank power you can _almost_ get there with stock turbos, programing and a free flowing exhaust. You could change to K24s but you'd likely not be too keen on the lag. Start with those things.. some DV's as well. Since it's an 01 you'll need to change your spark plugs. I'm sure there are plenty of places in Texas. That type of stuff is a single day thing. Drive in and drive home with 520plus HP. You shouldn't need to ship your car anywhere for something like that. It's a very simple job. The same can be said for the PSS9s. I wouldn't bother shipping the car anywhere until you hit the 700HP mark and/or motors start coming apart
Sharkster,
What do you think about dremeling headers?

Old 07-01-2006, 02:10 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
All,

Great advice, thank you. Really curious about dremmeling the headers, wouldn't have expected that with a Porsche (reminescing back to my mustang/saleen days). What are the zero clearance turbos, and where can I get them? Is this an option when building hybrids, or is this something special someone does? The Spark plugs went to a colder range?

What do you think about upgraded intercoolers? Or is this just worth it until 700+HP?

As for doing it right the first time, I can relate, I was really into NSX's for a while and had the tweak bug pretty bad, I had a reputation for selling parts after moving on to something bigger/stronger/faster.

My fear is spending on the stock turbos for 520HP and then wanting more...what a great fear to have! https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es/biggrin.gif

Old 07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I did not read the whole thread, but there are several tuners that will set you straight. I think a couple worth mentioning (if they weren't yet) are Kevin at Ultimatemotorwerks and Todd at Protomotive...both will talk to you. Kevin has been just awesome for me...we have talked much about what I wanted and he has gone out of his way to ensure the programming is what I want.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I did not read the whole thread, but there are several tuners that will set you straight. I think a couple worth mentioning (if they weren't yet) are Kevin at Ultimatemotorwerks and Todd at Protomotive...both will talk to you. Kevin has been just awesome for me...we have talked much about what I wanted and he has gone out of his way to ensure the programming is what I want.
Is Protomotive based out of So Cal?

Old 07-01-2006, 08:26 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
I am selling my level 2 FVD kit (www.fvd.us) off of my car which dynoed at 468RWHP (which equates to around 530-540BHP!)! These are real world dyno tested numbers!
Check it out!
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=52149
Regards,
Evan

Old 07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Agreed, they will be doing my next setup, Kevin for the turbo's Todd everything else

Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Is Protomotive based out of So Cal?
I believe they are based out of somewhere you would never even think of, like Alabama lol, might be Illinois, Chicago i forgot!