996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modifying the OEM exhaust for better sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
Modifying the OEM exhaust for better sound

Hi,

I am just plain sick of my fabspeed super sport exhaust. I want to put the oem system back with some modification. My local porsche dealer, yes, a porsche dealer, if offering the possbility to modify the OEM exhaust so it get a little louder sound (but not too much) out of the Oem one. They want 1500$ for the job, wich is a rip off IMO. I know that they open the muffle chamber on each side and remove something, but don't know what or where and then reweld the flap they opened. I don't care about the power gain at this point...

Anyone has an idea of what is removed, where it is done? Maybe someone has a Cut view of the OEM Exhaust ???

Thanks

Old 06-29-2006, 08:47 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi,

I am just plain sick of my fabspeed super sport exhaust. I want to put the oem system back with some modification. My local porsche dealer, yes, a porsche dealer, if offering the possbility to modify the OEM exhaust so it get a little louder sound (but not too much) out of the Oem one. They want 1500$ for the job, wich is a rip off IMO. I know that they open the muffle chamber on each side and remove something, but don't know what or where and then reweld the flap they opened. I don't care about the power gain at this point...

Anyone has an idea of what is removed, where it is done? Maybe someone has a Cut view of the OEM Exhaust ???

Thanks
Try knockin the cats out...

Old 06-29-2006, 09:25 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Agreed, go with some cat bypass pipe's

Old 06-29-2006, 10:16 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Call Lucent and ask for Tom. He does this and it only costs 500.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
You can cut the cats open and remove the restrictive second cat, but leave the first cat for about a 10(?) hp gain.

Attached Images    
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I had an X-50 OEM muffler, my dealer did the job you mentioned for me. Cut out the last baffle. It actually did make it sound a little louder. I think I paid $500. The car was still way to quite for me and I finally gave the muffler away (cause I dont have one anymore).
Lots of people take off their stock muffler, just get one and try it, nothing to loose.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:15 AM
In the pics above, posted by ebaker, can you tell me wich part must be removed ? I see the guy drilling the @#$@ out of it, I don't want to do that...

Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I had an X-50 OEM muffler, my dealer did the job you mentioned for me. Cut out the last baffle. It actually did make it sound a little louder. I think I paid $500. The car was still way to quite for me and I finally gave the muffler away (cause I dont have one anymore).
Lots of people take off their stock muffler, just get one and try it, nothing to loose.
Hi,

In the pics above, or if you have any other pics, can you point out to me wich one is the latest baffle ?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
tthoang1 is infamous around these parts
I know how you feel...

Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi,

Thanks
I did the drive with Sharkwerks on Saturday with the missus. The resonance from the Fabspeed GT2 was unbearable at first, but once up to temperature, it became more bearable (I put the ear plugs away). $1,500 is a total rip off. If you're putting the stock exhaust back on, I'd get rid of the cats with a bypass. BTW, you'll be adding 30lbs back on your car.

Last edited by tthoang1; 06-30-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
iaAaron is infamous around these parts
We did it to a few here back in the day, and found that it is really hard to get anything good to come out of it. It took me all freaking day to get one cat out and then the other side cracked on me so we just threw it in the dumpster and said never mind.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tthoang1
I did the drive with Sharkwerks on Saturday with the missus. The resonance from the Fabspeed GT2 was unbearable at first, but once up to temperature, it became more bearable (I put the ear plugs away). $1,500 is a total rip off. If you're putting the stock exhaust back on, I'd get rid of the cats with a bypass. BTW, you'll be adding 30lbs back on your car.
Yea, i had the FVD race pipes and thought they were crazy loud, then some people said the resonance was even WORSE on the fabspeed super sports

Anyway i agree, cat bypass pipe's.. Increased airflow, droop a little weight and some power with a more aggressive sound! It wont be too loud at all.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:16 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Mz its the outer most baffle and the only one you can get to without taking the muffler apart

Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Mz its the outer most baffle and the only one you can get to without taking the muffler apart
Wow... Sorry for being "stupid" but I just can't figure out with cylinder I should delete from the pics above...

Old 06-30-2006, 05:21 PM
iborroel is infamous around these parts
Mz3bo: IF you decide to sell your exhaust please let me know.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Yea, i had the FVD race pipes and thought they were crazy loud, then some people said the resonance was even WORSE on the fabspeed super sports

Anyway i agree, cat bypass pipe's.. Increased airflow, droop a little weight and some power with a more aggressive sound! It wont be too loud at all.
What does a cat bypass pipe look like?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modifying the OEM exhaust for better sound