996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who is the best

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:51 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Who is the best

at setting up 996 and Gt2/3 suspensions? I have my opinion. I am looking for others.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
It depends on what sort of setup you want... For competition,
I have had good work from The Racers Group.
Joe

Old 01-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Chad...

I'd like to hear about this too...I know Watt has much experience with different suspension tuners and was disappointed with some that were thought to be gurus in this area.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:16 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Considering the Porsche is mainly known for it's handling, I find it surprising this subject has such a lack of interest and/or knowledge. People spend a small fortune upgrading their power output. They can cite the best engine tuners and argue their merits to the bitter end. Apparantly not so regarding suspensions and handling.

Joe, I have had both TRG and S Car Go do suspension work on my car. However, in my opinion Greg Fordahl of Fordahl Motorsports is the best.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
Originally posted by cjv
Considering the Porsche is mainly known for it's handling, I find it surprising this subject has such a lack of interest and/or knowledge.
likely a lack of skills rather than interest....much less difficult to plant your right foot than skillfully test the handling limits of these cars....even in stock form

Old 01-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Chad,

Do you really find it surprising that for the most power, people just want more power.

And I have no problem with this, because I am the same, but I also believe that there should at least be some suspension and braking components to go along with the power.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:24 PM
cjv
Frosty,

What I find surprising is if I was to say S Car Go or EVOMS/PES or Protomotive or GIAC or By Design or Ruf or whoever is the best tuner, I would have a dozen board members challenging my statement. I said Fordahl is the best for suspension set up and all for the most part is quiet.

Most people agree Porsche is not a quarter mile car, yet that is what most people are interested in. Most people say Porsche is a handling car, yet they can't tell you what are the best parts/set up and why. They can't tell you how to evaluate different suspensions?

Last edited by cjv; 01-04-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:41 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
because most people don't track their $100,000+ cars and will never see the limits of the stock suspension on the street. However, power upgrades can be felt immediatly and almost always.

-Steve

Old 01-04-2004, 10:47 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Steve Alarcon is known mostly for his alignment/corner balancing on air-cooled 911s, but he also did the setup on my friend's 996 after M030 was installed and did a great job. His shop is Johson's Alignment out here in So Cal and I would recommend him if you need alignment work done. There is also Darrin at West End Alignment in Torrance (used to be 1 of Steve's employees, prices are a bit more reasonable), although I'm not sure if he does 996s.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Johnson Alignment is very good, they setup my car and it handles pretty well.

However, I think Loren Beggs of 911 Design is one of the top guys anywhere... he is 3-time champion of the Tribute to Le Mans. He will definitely be setting up my next suspension, no doubt.

Also, another really good suspension tuner out here is FX Performance. The owners there are ex-Ferrari Challenge champions, and Constantino was an ex-Ferrari factory test driver and team manager. They have all the right alignment equipment and the know how to make the car right. I know they are awesome on Ferrari, and I would guess they are great on Porsche too. I will let you know when they align my Turbo.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:17 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Chad...I have used a number of the names that have been mentioned here. I have found two guys to be exceptional and worth referring...Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport in Tualatin, Oregon (the best I have worked with extensively) and I had a very good experience with Stuart at Weissach Performance Ltd. (the Ruf representative) in Vancouver BC when they installed and set up my Ruf PSS-9 suspension kit.

Last edited by john stephanus; 01-04-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Porsche Fiend
Chad, I am working on a serious suspension project, whether I keep my Turbo or get the GT2.

You are not the only one thinking about handling. Part of the reason why I have not gone the JRZ route like you have is because Wilber and I are working on developing or acquiring a nice suspension package that is electronically, fully adjustable from the dash and has preset memory settings.

Believe me, when you see this package you will think the JRZ is quite obsolete.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:31 PM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
Originally posted by Hamann7
Chad, I am working on a serious suspension project, whether I keep my Turbo or get the GT2.

You are not the only one thinking about handling. Part of the reason why I have not gone the JRZ route like you have is because Wilber and I are working on developing or acquiring a nice suspension package that is electronically, fully adjustable from the dash and has preset memory settings.

Believe me, when you see this package you will think the JRZ is quite obsolete.

Are you talking about something similar to Tein EDFC?

Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Porsche Fiend
Yes. Tein is one of the vendors we have been talking to.

I already have the ACS DFC on my M5 and that suspension is awesome!!!

Old 01-04-2004, 11:43 PM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
Darin At Westend Alignment is really good...
He installed my Ruf PSS9...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.