996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

There's a TurboKiller over on another forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hamann7
Call me an ***, *******, assclown... whatever.

But, I think I kinda know my cars a bit...

And after owning an AMG car for 4 months now....

I can safely conclude... AMG cars are ****ty handlers. Let's see here:

Ring times....

8:14 for an SL 65-- 604hp
8:12 for an SL 55 (actually FASTER than its big brother due to weight differential)-- 493hp
7:54 for a CLK-DTM-- 582hp
7:52 for an SLR McLaren-- 617hp (7:40 when tested by Klaus Ludwig)

vs.

7:46 for a GT2 with Michelin PS1 tires (back in 2001)-- 456hp
7:40-43 for GT3-RS-- 381hp
7:56 996 Turbo (non-X50)-- 415hp
7:49 996 GT3 with PS2 tires-- 380hp

So I don't see how anyone can say Chrysler-AMG makes great handling cars. They downright SUCK, especially given the power/tq of the engines.

who cares imma a sue u beyatch for hitting the wifey's car last time we had dinner hahah bwahhaha lol

u'll be hearing from ca996.. lol hehehe

Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I agree with JR and I make sure every car I own puts a smile on my face.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
dmz
dmz is infamous around these parts
Not a Sl65, but I have driven a SL55 and a SL600 and no, they don't handle all that well. I supposed it handled better than my old E500 but that is not saying much...

Originally Posted by iLLM3
LOL and it gets even better, have you ever driven an SL65?!? How would you know what it handled like?? BTW, it actually feels like 3500 lbs in the corners! It can handle, you guys just have no experience with them AND, follow along with what other people say!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 PM
dberry7578 is infamous around these parts
Cool

Originally Posted by evsmotors
I didn't attack him. He just started this I'm too cocky to own a Supra thing. Not me I have nothing against any car. You can see this from my personal collection. Just making a comment with no intention of offending anyone. But obviously he's trying to offend me. Yes I agree with you. I should avoid stupid confrontations such as this.
I actually own two Toyota SUV's. My response was more toward your ----I'll beat him at half throttle with one of my Supras. In other words, his car aint **** statement. Please don't take this personal, this thread is for Entertainment Purposes Only, and says nothing about me as a person, other than I love to tease sometimes. I love all sport cars, but I am not an avid race fan, and track performance is not an issue with me. I'll choose speed and luxury over more speed and handling every day of the week. But that is my cup of tea, and not yours. Any car that can run in the 11's or lower is very impressive. Enjoy your toys!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dberry7578
I actually own two Toyota SUV's. My response was more toward your ----I'll beat him at half throttle with one of my Supras. In other words, his car aint **** statement. Please don't take this personal, this thread is for Entertainment Purposes Only, and says nothing about me as a person, other than I love to tease sometimes. I love all sport cars, but I am not an avid race fan, and track performance is not an issue with me. I'll choose speed and luxury over more speed and handling every day of the week. But that is my cup of tea, and not yours. Any car that can run in the 11's or lower is very impressive. Enjoy your toys!
I didn't take is personally, hence the not so aggressive replies. I was being humorous too.

Sure I love cars in all shapes and sizes, but the Supra is my key for fast. Yes I love nice quality cars as well, my Porsches. I've owned 4+ in the last couple of years and two currently. I enjoy hand made bikes MV Agusta F4 vs. mass production (and much faster) R1s. So please don't think I'm saying the Supra is superior in every category, just the fast category. LOL

I didn't see anything wrong with my initial reply that I could beat him half-throttle with a Supra. Whats wrong with that? The guy was being cocky too saying the following. I was just having fun with my reply and it seemed to have offended you a bit. Either way sorry. LOL

"I have yet to have a decent run with a porsche with any chance of kicking my ***. I have found them to be a complete bore on the streets. Cobras are far more exciting. Maybe the few who are faster live in other parts of the planet or have modified their cars for the track only. They also may have superior handling, and have shown lower 1/4 times in the most extreme situations, but its hard to tell when they are 20 car lengths back."

Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
I was a member on MBworld when DBerry first got his 65. He has always had informative, good natured posts on that forum. He is a lot like us, in that, he has a VERY fast car that he loves and wants to let people know that fact (like us!). I like having guys with other makes on the forum, it makes for a good mix, hopefully he will continue to post here after this thread dies. Let's face it we all like to talk some smack, I think he's done a great job under fire

Old 07-12-2006, 08:07 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah but he needs to stop apologizing

Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I was a member on MBworld when DBerry first got his 65. He has always had informative, good natured posts on that forum. He is a lot like us, in that, he has a VERY fast car that he loves and wants to let people know that fact (like us!). I like having guys with other makes on the forum, it makes for a good mix, hopefully he will continue to post here after this thread dies. Let's face it we all like to talk some smack, I think he's done a great job under fire
He just misunderstood me thats all! Great to have you here DBerry! I'm a long time member of MBWorld as well. Classy place over there.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
I think this post got off track... Heres my deal...prior to my porsche i wanted an SL... i think honestly they are really nice cars.... I love all the interior luxury and what not be the case... The price of the SL65 and Turbo S cab were not to far off from each other... But at the end of the day SL65 is just a lightly modded SL600... And at the end of the day in LA you can get an SL55 or SL600 for around 100k barely used...instead of a 150+ cost if it was new... Also Mercedes isnt known for racing SL's..the SLR and the CLK are their race cars to my knowledge and even then i havent seen an SLR compete yet... As for Porsche.. Well until the SUV came out they were all SPORT CARS... nothing more and nothing less...if anything you think of exotic sports cars and the first three names that come to mind are Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini... Not BENZ...

Now what car is fast...Thats an out right stupid question... You can make a porsche out handle, out run and out do a benz in EVERway...but at the same time you can do the same with the Benz...The question is how much do you want to spend...

Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Me_qwkr
I think this post got off track... Heres my deal...prior to my porsche i wanted an SL... i think honestly they are really nice cars.... I love all the interior luxury and what not be the case... The price of the SL65 and Turbo S cab were not to far off from each other... But at the end of the day SL65 is just a lightly modded SL600... And at the end of the day in LA you can get an SL55 or SL600 for around 100k barely used...instead of a 150+ cost if it was new... Also Mercedes isnt known for racing SL's..the SLR and the CLK are their race cars to my knowledge and even then i havent seen an SLR compete yet... As for Porsche.. Well until the SUV came out they were all SPORT CARS... nothing more and nothing less...if anything you think of exotic sports cars and the first three names that come to mind are Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini... Not BENZ...

Now what car is fast...Thats an out right stupid question... You can make a porsche out handle, out run and out do a benz in EVERway...but at the same time you can do the same with the Benz...The question is how much do you want to spend...
Well, we have SEEN porsche's that will give it to any Benz, as to how much money and how nuts someone will be to go as far as making an SL, CLK, CL or w/e a thorough track car is unheard of. CLK DTM is the closest thing, and i cant comment on its lap times or whatever, but for the price of it, a GT3 cup car or properly modded GT2/Turbo will run circles around it.

Now my point being, Benz's are awesome cars, just arent super sports car and have immense power and acceleration, my only arguement was , was to give the SL65 some respect, people comment on its handling and for the most part have never seen, been in or driven the car, it can handle real well IMO!

BTW, the SLR Mclaren beat the Carrera GT around soem course in a test between the two, hard to believe but it was posted in the GT2/3/CGT section!

Last edited by iLLM3; 07-12-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by evsmotors
He just misunderstood me thats all! Great to have you here DBerry! I'm a long time member of MBWorld as well. Classy place over there.
LOL

Old 07-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Me_qwkr

When I think of a Porsche, the first thing that comes to mind is light, nimble and fast. Ferrari and Lambo dominate the exotic category, because of their rareness. The Benz signature is Luxury and Class. The AMG adds the catch me if you can to the Luxury and Class, but without comprimising the two.

The weight will always be an issue with the Benz, however I love it. My wife and I were T-boned by a corolla doing about 60 mph, and the corolla folded like a sardine can. The SL65 barely showed any damage, although it totaled about $12,000.00 in damage. Neither one of us were injured and I drove the 65 to the dealership. MB will not compromise safety for performance.

Last edited by dberry7578; 07-13-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
When I think of a Porsche, the first thing that comes to mind is light, nimble and fast. Ferrari and Lambo dominate the exotic category, because of their rareness. The Benz signature is Luxury and Class. The AMG adds the catch me if you can to the Luxury and Class, but without comprimising the two.

The weight will always be an issue with the Benz, however I love it. My wife and I were T-boned by a corolla doing about 60 mph, and the corolla folded like a sardine can. The SL65 barely showed any damage, although it totaled about $12,000.00 in damage. Neither one of us were injured and I drove the 65 to the dealership. MB will not compromise performance for safety.
I totally agree! I was with a friend in his older SEL 600 big body crusing along at 60, meanwhile 2 people were racing coming from behind, one guy passed us on the right in the open lane the other in the turning lane to the left of us. Meanwhile us crusing at 60 and this CAMRY at 90-100, he swerved into the side of our car, dented the 2 doors from the outside, not inside and shattered the glass but it was still intact and up! We hardly moved out of the lane being side swiped, those cars are TANKS!!