996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best Exhaust Poll ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Holy **** Arling! You have 10,000 posts and a rep power of 15!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-05-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Unfortunately, there is an inverse relationship between sound quality and power with respect to exhaust systems. In order to generate power, one must remove/reduce the restrictions to air flow. The two primary impediments to air flow are cats and chamber mufflers. However, if one removes the cats and mufflers, and/or switches to straight through racing mufflers (instead of restrictive chamber mufflers), in order to increase air flow and power, the exhaust becomes much louder and resonates. There is no way around it.

There are many wonderful sounding exhausts available, including 9ff and Europipe. Moreover, 9ff and Europipe have done an excellent job of balancing a melodic sound with meaningful power gains. However, both 9ff and Europipe retain a chamber muffler in order to create the melodic sound and eliminate resonance. Unfortunately, the chamber muffler restricts air flow and thereby reduces power. If you want to go to the next level in terms of power, you must abandon the chamber muffler and sacrifice the melodic sound. You will not see any race cars using a chamber muffler -- rather, when mufflers are required, race cars use straight through mufflers.

For most, the extra ponies are not worth the sacrifice in terms of sound quality. Nevertheless, when discussing the "best" exhaust, one must be cognizant of the trade offs. "Best" power does not correspond to "best" sound.

Craig

Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
TurboLove is infamous around these parts
does anyone have a sound/video clip of the Europipe that they can post? I have heard the Fabspeed in person and I am not terribly impressed. Just thought I would ask. thx!

Old 07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Europipe Stage II Loud or Quiet. Play them both.
http://www.europipe.be/1024.html

Old 07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Rami is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Europipe Stage II Loud or Quiet. Play them both.
http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
And when you hear it in real life it sounds 100 times better

Old 07-05-2006, 07:59 PM
TurboLove is infamous around these parts
thanks 9Eleven. Wow, it sounds pretty good (and it's just a video!). Now I have to ask, is there anyone in the SF Bay area with an EP Stage II Loud and Quiet so I can hear them in person as Rami has suggested? please PM me. Thanks you guys!!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Craig,

How about your custom exhaust ? Any info on backpressure/HP benefits ? How about cost ?

Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Europipes! and they just keep getting better with age!

Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
Craig,

How about your custom exhaust ? Any info on backpressure/HP benefits ? How about cost ?
I have not flow tested my exhaust. That being said, with no cats, 3 in piping and straight through racing mufflers, I am confident that it flows better than any of the off-the-shelf exhausts current available for 996TTs (short of straight pipes).

As to cost, contact Fast Intentions: http://www.fastintentions.com/

Craig

Old 07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
well to through my two cents in i think one of the nicest sounding exhaust were dropped from the list as thats the Remus...its not to loud...doesnt rumble to much.... and just sounds really loud miles away...but then again i havent used any exhaust going to get the kreissieg exhaust and ditch the remus as i like buttons and the idea of straight pipes

Old 07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
I have the Europipe II Loud and I must say that it does sound very good. It is not loud at all in fact my Cargraphic Loud was much louder and lighter, but it did not sound as good as the EP. Weight is also very important to me and the EP weighs 54.6lbs.

I am going to have Fast Intensions build an exhaust for me just like Craigs and it only weighs 20lbs and I am sure it will make the same or more power. Also, I like the fact that I will no longer have the heat soaking cats.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by grussell
I have the Europipe II Loud and I must say that it does sound very good. It is not loud at all in fact my Cargraphic Loud was much louder and lighter, but it did not sound as good as the EP. Weight is also very important to me and the EP weighs 54.6lbs.

I am going to have Fast Intensions build an exhaust for me just like Craigs and it only weighs 20lbs and I am sure it will make the same or more power. Also, I like the fact that I will no longer have the heat soaking cats.
Your new FI exhaust will definitely make MORE power than your beautiful sounding EP II Loud with the power robbing chamber mufflers. You gotta love the 35 pounds of weight savings as well (at the back side of the car).

Craig

Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
SkyclsGT3 is infamous around these parts
Kreissieg - best sounding and best performance in F-1 Open mode.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SkyclsGT3
Kreissieg - best sounding and best performance in F-1 Open mode.
Alot will argue that, btw open in F1 mode it sounds exactly like any other straight pipe/free flowing exhaust system!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
ECB
ECB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ari
You guys seriously terrorized the neighborhood!

Is that car RWD or AWD?
sorry for the late response.

The car is AWD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Poll ?