996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lag vs. HP for Various Turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Lag vs. HP for Various Turbos

OK, looking to do an ECU flash, and thinking about upgrading turbos at the same time if financially feasible. But coming from the V8 world, still not used to punch throttle.......and having to wait for power. Options for me are:

1. Keep the K-16s - The flash will take me to 500 hp (Stage 2 - but already set with the exhaust) and 0.9 bar boost. I assume the lag will be the same as it is now, correct? The exhaust definately decreased it (modified X-50 ear shredder)

2. Buy K-24s - Have seen these on sale for $2,500 a pair (new). HP is around 550, but I hear different things about the lag. Would they with the ECU tuning still be laggier than a standard car with K-16s?

3. Buy K-16 hybrids - IA has these for $850 ea. They claim they will support up to 600 hp, but I've never seen a dyno, or know what ECU tuning package would be used for these. I assume these with the ECU flash should be equal or better lag-wise to standard K-16s. Anybody have further info on these?

Anything past that really isn't what I want to get into right now.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
yep have zero clearence 16's (kevins) am very happy with them paired them with s cargo headers and a euro pipe loud, also ecu reprogram ... i would keep the 16 ' well get the hybreds from kevin they spool up faster.good luck. remember air in air out tthe faster taht happene the faster you go!!

Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Steve,
Have you performed a dyno test on your car? I think IA does use Kevin's hybrids, but for $850, not sure they would be zero clearance......thought those were bigger buck turbos.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I think Markski has a set of Zero clearance turbos for sale that are capable of 600HP+. Spool time is supposed to be as good as it gets.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
He said that they were sold long ago......

Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shark01
He said that they were sold long ago......
I thought this part of his signature,

"STAGE 5 FOR SALE FOR $6500"

was in reference to the ZC turbos/kit

Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
I strongly recommend the hybrid k16s. I used a set for over a year and they performed GREAT!!!

Craig

Old 07-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Hybrids all the way... evoms gt640 or k24/18gs. Kevins hybrids are very nice too.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Craig
I strongly recommend the hybrid k16s. I used a set for over a year and they performed GREAT!!!

Craig
What software program did you use with these?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Finality is infamous around these partsFinality is infamous around these parts
Just wanted to jump in, whose Hyrbrids should we go for?

I keep hearing each hybrid is different and pretty much dependant on builder....

Old 07-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Finality

I keep hearing each hybrid is different and pretty much dependant on builder....
depends on ur end goals and needs.
Most tuners on this board have good product.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-10-2006, 04:24 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Finality

The problem with responding to this is most people only get one set (Mark is one of the few to try more than one). I'm happy with mine. Got them from Kevin. Give him a ring and talk about what you want to accomplish as Mark advises!

Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shark01
What software program did you use with these?
I initially used a program custom made for me by Gunther. Thereafter, I used a GIAC program. BOTH worked great.

Craig

Old 07-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Here's a question for the gurus:

What are the tradeoffs with hybrids? There has to be
something on the bad side, else KKK would make them
and Porsche would use them. I understand that hand
work can optimize clearances, but a k16/k24 hybrid
is being described as 'low lag like k16, higher boost'.
I am cautious enough to ask how I would be paying for
the 'free lunch'...
Joe

Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Joe,

I wouldn't consider myself a guru, but I have been through this and here is my take. I ran stage 2 (RUF exhaust / FVD ECU) for 3 1/2 years and was extremely pleased with the performance. This package increased power and reduced lag due to the 100 cell free flowing exhaust and tuning parameters. I often thought of upgrading and finally decided to go through with it this spring. After some research, I decided K16/24 hybrids best suited my goals. There were several options...standard K16/24, low clearance K16/24 (.003 vs. .008 stock), zero clearance K16/24 (require strict break-in or they are ruined) and K16/24 low or zero clearance with 1.2 bar wastegates (either heavier spring version of the originals or custom billet wastegates). I choose the K16/24 hybrids with .003 low clearance (supposedly an exact replica of the RUF turbo - low clearance is a major ingredient of how RUF gets their power) combined with the custom billet 1.2 bar wastegates. There seems to be the slightest increased lag over the stage 2, K16 package, but not more than the stock K16 performance. So, IMHO, the answer to your question is: the trade-off is a little more lag for a little more power - no free lunch as you put it. Since the additional lag is so slight and about the same as stock, it is not a major issue. The power/power delivery is significantly enhanced over stage 2. I added the ported, polished and ceramic coated headers and Evo silicon boost hoses (the car blew the hoses off on the first test run) at the same time as the hybrids, so my experience reflects the results of the sum of all these components together. I have now driven the upgraded car for a month or so and I can say that it has never been as enjoyable and I would not chose to return to any of the previous/lesser levels. The car also sounds a little more business at WOT - my wife driving beside me in an SUV commented that the car is much louder...and said it sounded like a jet taking off (I have the RUF quiet exhaust and inside it sounds the same as before, just a louder woosh at WOT - but nothing offensive at all). Hope this helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lag vs. HP for Various Turbos