996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

High Powered Photo Shoot Imminent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:32 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
High Powered Photo Shoot Imminent

I just received my new Sony DSC-F828 8.0 MegaPixel Digital Camera the other day and will be doing a high resolution photo shoot of the KPV/IA/TT in the coming days. Oh, and there will be, as usual, some amazing surprises in store for everyone!! Stay tuned!!!

The camera is very cool. Although not a digital SLR, it is technically called a ZLR (Zoom lens reflex) since it has a non-changeable lens that zooms from 28mm to 200mm. It uses the Carl Zeiss T lens that has a very low f-stop. In contrast to the Digital Rebel (plastic body), this sucker has a complete magnesium body. It is extremely well made. It looks like Sony wants to play with the big boys! It even has two slots, one for memory stick and a second for compact flash type II. It has a manual zoom ring rather than the push button electric version of many lower priced units. This gives you better control. Oh, and it will record RAW and TIFF images as well as jpeg's. Here are some pics......

Last edited by KPV; 01-07-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High Powered Photo Shoot Imminent

Originally posted by KPV
I just received my new Sony DSC-F828 8.0 MegaPixel Digital Camera the other day and will be doing a high resolution photo shoot of the KPV/IA/TT in the coming days. Oh, and there will be, as usual, some surprises in store for everyone!! Stay tuned!!!

The camera is very cool. Although not a digital SLR, it is technically called a ZLR (Zoom lens reflex) since it has a non-changeable lens that zooms from 28mm to 200mm. It uses the Carl Zeiss T lens that has a very low f-stop. In contrast to the Digital Rebel (plastic body), this sucker has a complete magnesium body. It is extremely well made. It looks like Sony wants to play with the big boys! It even has two slots, one for memory stick and a second for compact flash type II. Oh, and it will record RAW and TIFF images as well as jpeg's. Here are some pics......

Congrats Ken!!! Great camera...
Sounds like we need a digital photo shootout!!!

I am armed with the new Cannon EOS 10D Digi SLR (Solid Magnesium Body)(interchageable lenses) 6.2 mega pixel with the EF 28-135mm zoom lense...since you need to multiply a 1.6 factor times the focal length for digi slr's, the effective focal length with that lens is
44-220mm...

Let's rumble at the next meet!!!

Old 01-07-2004, 10:50 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Rockitman,
I love the EOS 10D!!! I love the 1Ds (11 megapixel and full size CMOS sensor!!!) even more of course. The 1Ds would have been my first choice ($7K for body alone I believe), the 10D my second choice ($1.6K) but had to settle for my third choice, the DSC-F828 ($1K), due to cost. In addition, the Sony has some features such as Nightshot and NightFraming that are invaluable to me in my company. Many times, I will need to take a photo in some confined space in total darkness. The Sony allows me to do this while keeping everything in complete focus.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Nice Ken.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:22 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I read up on that "Nightshot feature" very cool...I certainly don't have that type of flexibilty. That Zeiss lense on your camera is first rate. I don't think you could go wrong with that package...Super quality with more convenience than an SLR...

I am looking forward to updating my gallery on Renn...as soon as the webserver is up...It seems to have been down for the last couple days...Wanted to show off the europipe install gallery I finished, but the page does'nt load...Sent John D a PM, have not heard back....Kind of annoying. Guess I should get my own page up from my isp, since it is included with the monthly charges...

Old 01-07-2004, 11:57 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
Ken...how did you get it so fast?? I ordered mine last month and still waiting..

Old 01-07-2004, 12:03 PM
KPV
It was on order since OCTOBER!!

I bought it from www.cdw.com for $939.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:07 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
What type of memory card does it take? What is the max # of photos you can take on one "card"?

Old 01-07-2004, 12:16 PM
KPV
It takes memory stick and compact flash type 2.

Memory Stick (Sony's proprietary flash memory) comes in sizes from 4MB up to 1GB

Compact Flash Type 2 Microdrives made be Hitachi come in sizes up to 4GB

A 5.0 Megapixel photo has a file size on the order of about 0.5 to 0.7MB so you can do the math. I do not have enough experience with the 8 megapixel file sizes to comment.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
Thanks Ken.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:14 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Ken:

I was going to give you grief about the 10D but if it was a cost factor, no problem. I'm a big 10D fan using L glass and have a D60 as well (and an EOS3 and T90 setup I'm selling). I do love your movie mode though.

Here's a great review link.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03...f828review.asp

Happy shooting.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:29 PM
KPV
Tim,
Yeah, I know. It was a tough decision. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 10D with two lenses that would equal the zoom capabilities of the Sony (28 to 200) would cost near $3000???
I usually go for the highest tech available, but the Sony had such a good package.
I also like the pivoting feature that allows for some additional flexibility.
I read that article on dpreview. Great site!
The Sony movie mode records a standard VGA 640x480 mpeg movie up to the limit of the recording medium. So, if you have a 1GB card, you can grab 45 minutes of video from what I understand.
I think the next one will be the 1Ds. Ouch!!

Old 01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Nice cam Ken!!
Did you consider the EOS Rebel Ti (digital)?? that is what I am thinking opf getting as my digital point and shoot is just not cutting it anymore...need an SLR camera

Old 01-07-2004, 01:54 PM
KPV
I considered it, but it has a plastic body. It feels very light and cheap. It didn't go to far meeting that whole pride of ownership thing.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:11 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Yeah Ken, to do it right, you're looking at about $3k, maybe even more with L glass. But, the picture quality is outstanding. I just got a Epson 2200 archival printer and at 13" x 19" output, it is better than most photo labs!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the plastic body, as I think my D60 had one and it never bothered me. I have 2gig card and a 1gig backup so I would love your movie mode when I didn't have my camcorders.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Powered Photo Shoot Imminent