996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Craig how's that beast running?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I think Markski is doing a fun experiment as well. Put GT3 heads on a turbo block with upgraded rods and pistons. You will have great RPM range, and due to the higher revs you won't need as much boost to attain a particular HP goal. The N/A GT3 makes 400HP as is.

The higher redline will negate needing to regear as each gear will go 23% faster.

IMO that would be very fun car indeed. Ferrari RPM levels (or GT3) and turbo torque and HP.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
What he said!

Originally Posted by silver
Craig,
Sorry to hear about the issues. I am glad you have the resources and courage to continue on the path. I know you will get it sorted out. I am impressed with the members on here who are willing to share information and experience in the spirit of helping each other. I think you are definately plowing new dirt and we will all learn form your and others endeavors. Thanks for sharing and good luck. Ps what would you guess your car was capable of running the 1/4 in even soft launching it? Sounds like 10 flat or maybe high 9 to me. Anyway keep the tip owners proud my brutha! Later.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I think Markski is doing a fun experiment as well. Put GT3 heads on a turbo block with upgraded rods and pistons. You will have great RPM range, and due to the higher revs you won't need as much boost to attain a particular HP goal. The N/A GT3 makes 400HP as is.
she almost done... its at .9 bars so far... going for 1.7 bars. Alot crazy research has gone into this one.. most of which is beyond me... not only did we go with GT3 heads... to make things worse... they are GT3 RS heads from a race car... then the hard part came... fitting gt3 street cams.. not only exhaust like most do but also the intake cams..... once that was done we had to fire it up... its currently running on GT3 street program. The issue thats holding it back is that gt3s do not have ABS not PSm and my tuner is working on encoding the ecu...
Im keeping my fingers crossed.
CJV helped alot in parts.... like the cams and cam housings....

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-07-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:29 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari

The higher redline will negate needing to regear as each gear will go 23% faster.

IMO that would be very fun car indeed. Ferrari RPM levels (or GT3) and turbo torque and HP.
Exactly man, his setup is my ultimate dream

Old 11-07-2006, 11:06 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Exactly man, his setup is my ultimate dream
From the sounds of it, you're only a year behind craig

Very informative thread... thank you to whomever revived it.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
From the sounds of it, you're only a year behind craig ...
Funny thing is, Markski's car may be completed before Craig's. I'm assuming craig, like many of us, is still waiting for EVO come up with a MAF solution, or more specifically a MAF/Programming solution, that can read above 550 HP.

Anyone heard how this long awaited problem is coming along? It apears as though 100% of the 'brain-time" is being allocated to the 997

Last edited by Zippy; 11-07-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 AM
VRAlexander
AMGGIRL and I saw Craig a couple of weeks ago to give him a ride in the CGT before he took her for a spin......his turbo was running fine....

Old 11-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
AMGGIRL and I saw Craig a couple of weeks ago to give him a ride in the CGT before he took her for a spin......his turbo was running fine....
Thats great! If you see him again, ask him to post an update for us.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zippy
Funny thing is, Markski's car may be completed before Craig's. I'm assuming craig, like many of us, is still waiting for EVO come up with a MAF solution, or more specifically a MAF/Programming solution, that can read above 550 HP.

Anyone heard how this long awaited problem is coming along? It apears as though 100% of the 'brain-time" is being allocated to the 997
Can you elaborate on that 550HP ceiling for MAF? Not sure I'm getting it.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
From the sounds of it, you're only a year behind craig

Very informative thread... thank you to whomever revived it.
LOL what do you mean? Next up for me is 997GT3, i decided!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:40 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Zippy
Thats great! If you see him again, ask him to post an update for us.
Just spoke with Craig....he said to say hello to everyone.....He is in court for the next 6 weeks and will be back to 6speed when the trial is over...

Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Just spoke with Craig....he said to say hello to everyone.....He is in court for the next 6 weeks and will be back to 6speed when the trial is over...
I hope he is either a lawyer or the plaintiff...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
He's the lawyer for sure!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Bill W is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
I hope he is either a lawyer or the plaintiff...
I think from some of the post he has made he is a lawyer. His specialty is the ethical treatment of spider monkeys, there are alot of cruel spider monkey breeder that do nothing but sit around and spank their monkeys all day long.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
Can you elaborate on that 550HP ceiling for MAF? Not sure I'm getting it.
I'll give it a shot, but Markski has the full answer. Please don't be insulted if too simple for you (or not 100% correct) .

The OEM MAF has a voltage that runs through it in a direct relation to the airflow that passes over it. It is this variation in voltage by which the MAF reads the amount of air coming into the engine. When about 550-600 HP, it is also at it's maximum voltage capacity. Air flow increases above this level are not registered by the MAF. Said another wat, the OEM MAF has very poor resolution in the upper HP range. Some tuners use a MAF that can handle a much higher voltage and hence the engine can be tuned better in the higher HP ranges. I believe Protomotive use this approach. Other tuners use a larger diameter MAF tube, in conjunction with the OEM MAF. The larger MAF tube mean less air flow at the same HP as a norrower diameter tube. With this approach, you can get better resolution in your tuning in the high HP ranges. I believe UMW and Sportec use this approach.

If pushed too far, the voltage increase running through the MAF can cause it to "pop". Strangly, some cars experience this much more than others. I, unfortunately, have a MAF eater. With the added air flow of the having a V-Flow installed, I can blow a MAF in 20 mins. With the OEM air box installed, the MAFs seem to stay alive.

As was posted by Mike at EVO, several months ago, EVO are working on a MAF solution for the GT700+ cars. As to thier progress, I haven't heard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Craig how's that beast running?