996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Craig how's that beast running?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 06:49 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Craig how's that beast running?

Craig,

You have been very quiet since getting your car back, is everything ok? I would have expected some kill stories by now! What is going on?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
I too would love to hear some more information...

Old 07-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
I was going to post the same thing last week. I thought I must have missed the thread or something. I hope all is well with it after all of that work.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
I am out the door right now . . . Ill post some details later today.

Craig

Old 07-14-2006, 05:28 PM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
Uh-oh..."details"?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Back in December 2005, I had an episode where a greenish color fluid began to poor out of my engine compartment and exhaust pipes after I had just pushed my car WOT a couple of times. Prior to diagnosing the problem, many feared that I had blown my head gasket. I was pushing 29 pounds of boast, so that was a reasonably concern. It turns out that my power steering pump had gone bad and the greenish fluid was not coolant, as feared, but rather, power steering fluid.

Notwithstanding that I had not blown my head gasket, the event and my concurrent discussions with various people far wiser than I (that is most people) convinced me that, if I was desirous of continuing to run 29 pounds of boost, I should further reinforce my engine to withstand the pressure. I had already installed Carrillo rods, IA head studs and IA valve springs, and shuffle pinned the case, but I decided to go a step further and install EVOMS’ stronger head gasket and pistons.

While the primary motivation for the project was reinforcement/safety, once I elected to open up the engine again, I was compelled to take advantage of the opportunity to further increase the power at the same time. Therefore, I also ported and polished the heads, enlarged the valves/valve ports, installed EVOMS’ higher lift exhaust cams, and revised the programming. I also installed the larger intercoolers and did a few other tweaks while I was at it. Therefore, what was initially intended as a reinforcement/safety project evolved into much more, including significant power enhancements.

Upon the completion of the project last month, it was immediately apparent that the car was MUCH more powerful than before. I previously had a GT800+++ (the pluses including 7.5 pounds more boost than a typical GT800, freer flowing custom exhaust, upgraded intercooler end tanks, methanol injection, upgraded intake plenum, etc etc etc). As fast as my GT800+++ was, the newly modified car was considerably more powerful. It was downright scary! The power was violent!!!

VRAlex has long extolled the benefits of head work. I can now confirm that he was right on the money. The ported, polished heads and larger valve ports/valves, in conjunction with EVOMS’ exhaust cam and programming, and the larger intercoolers, transformed the car. I HIGHLY recommend these mods for anyone seeking serious power.

EVOMS undertook a thorough testing regime with my car before delivering it to me. However, there was one test condition that EVOMS could not replicate . . . cold weather. It was 110 degrees in Arizona for the several days that EVOMS tested my car, and they were never able to test the car at lower ambient temps. As we all know, engines make considerably more power when the outside temperature is lower. Cooler air is more dense and therefore has more oxygen per cubic foot than warmer air. More oxygen allows for more fuel to be burnt, and therefore more power to be produced. See e.g., http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1925/naca-report-190/ . I have read estimates ranging from 1-3% increase in horsepower for every 11 degree reduction in ambient temperature.

After taking my car back home to Southern California, I decided to hammer it late one night, when the outside temperature was 60 degrees. At this temperatures, my car was making some where in the range of 4-12% more horsepower than when tested by EVOMS in Arizona (that could equate to 100 more HP). Unfortunately, EVOMS’ head gasket simply was unable to handle the additional power and it failed. This is a true testament to the magnitude of the additional power created by the head work, cams, intercoolers and new programming. As powerful as my prior set-up was, it did not blow even the OEM head gasket. My new set up is so much more powerful that even EVOMS’ much stronger gasket cannot hold it.

When a head gasket fails, one always has to be concerned about the possibility of detonation. However, upon removing the heads and inspecting the pistons, plugs and gasket, there was no evidence of any detonation.

Based on the foregoing, we were faced with the task of further reinforcing the engine to handle the power. The obvious solution was o-rings. However, to their credit, EVOMS did not stop there. Instead, EVOMS undertook a comprehensive investigation to determine the most thorough and effective method to address my power.

EVOMS has strong ties to a few Indy teams/engine builders on the East Coast. Thus, EVOMS shipped a 996TT head and block (or some portion thereof) to an Indy engine builder, along with the OEM head gasket and the EVOMS reinforced head gasket, and sought their input. The Indy engine builder was impressed with the OEM head gasket, and even more impressed with EVOMS’ strengthened head gasket. However, upon learning of the power my engine is likely making, the Indy engine builder strongly recommended that I switch to a copper head gasket, just like those used by Indy engines. Thus, we are having a custom copper head gasket water jet cut and embossed for a stainless steel stamped o-ring that will be set in a grove cut into the heads. EVOMS is also adding additional shuffle pinning. EVOMS is also cutting a small harmonic grove in a couple of the piston tops to redirect combustion harmonic to a stronger part of the engine. Finally, EVOMS is going to experiment with increased clamping force on the head studs. They are going to assemble their in-house engine, torque the head studs down harder than previously done, then measure any distortion/reflection in the case. EVOMS will keep doing this, in incremental steps, measuring any impact on the case, in order to determine a safe amount of additional torque to apply when tightening the head studs.

FYI, many of these new developments, including the new copper head gasket and o-rings, will be available through EVOMS in the not to distant future. That being said, those using EVOMS’ current upgraded head gasket have nothing to worry about unless and until you start doing the head work that I did and run silly amounts of boost.

EVOMS has stood behind their product and handled this glitch with tremendous honor and integrity. There was never any question that they would do everything possible to remedy the issue. I would also like to thank Stephen Kasper, Todd Knighton and VRAlex for their input along the way. These guys were also very supportive.

So there you have it. I should have my car back in a little over a week. I’ll keep you posted.

Craig

Old 07-14-2006, 07:41 PM
tom03lightning is infamous around these parts
Craig,
Sounds good. Alex should look at the Supra head too and see where they reinforced the heads and studs there. The supra's have taken 50+lbs of boost and nitrous (marko's car when it made 1520rwhp) and routinely see close to 50 or 50+lbs on boost alone. Just and idea.

Can't wait to see the final results in the cool weather...........

Originally Posted by Craig
Back in December 2005, I had an episode where a greenish color fluid began to poor out of my engine compartment and exhaust pipes after I had just pushed my car WOT a couple of times. Prior to diagnosing the problem, many feared that I had blown my head gasket. I was pushing 29 pounds of boast, so that was a reasonably concern. It turns out that my power steering pump had gone bad and the greenish fluid was not coolant, as feared, but rather, power steering fluid.

Notwithstanding that I had not blown my head gasket, the event and my concurrent discussions with various people far wiser than I (that is most people) convinced me that, if I was desirous of continuing to run 29 pounds of boost, I should further reinforce my engine to withstand the pressure. I had already installed Carrillo rods, IA head studs and IA valve springs, and shuffle pinned the case, but I decided to go a step further and install EVOMS’ stronger head gasket and pistons.

While the primary motivation for the project was reinforcement/safety, once I elected to open up the engine again, I was compelled to take advantage of the opportunity to further increase the power at the same time. Therefore, I also ported and polished the heads, enlarged the valves/valve ports, installed EVOMS’ higher lift exhaust cams, and revised the programming. I also installed the larger intercoolers and did a few other tweaks while I was at it. Therefore, what was initially intended as a reinforcement/safety project evolved into much more, including significant power enhancements.

Upon the completion of the project last month, it was immediately apparent that the car was MUCH more powerful than before. I previously had a GT800+++ (the pluses including 7.5 pounds more boost than a typical GT800, freer flowing custom exhaust, upgraded intercooler end tanks, methanol injection, upgraded intake plenum, etc etc etc). As fast as my GT800+++ was, the newly modified car was considerably more powerful. It was downright scary! The power was violent!!!

VRAlex has long extolled the benefits of head work. I can now confirm that he was right on the money. The ported, polished heads and larger valve ports/valves, in conjunction with EVOMS’ exhaust cam and programming, and the larger intercoolers, transformed the car. I HIGHLY recommend these mods for anyone seeking serious power.

EVOMS undertook a thorough testing regime with my car before delivering it to me. However, there was one test condition that EVOMS could not replicate . . . cold weather. It was 110 degrees in Arizona for the several days that EVOMS tested my car, and they were never able to test the car at lower ambient temps. As we all know, engines make considerably more power when the outside temperature is lower. Cooler air is more dense and therefore has more oxygen per cubic foot than warmer air. More oxygen allows for more fuel to be burnt, and therefore more power to be produced. See e.g., http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1925/naca-report-190/ . I have read estimates ranging from 1-3% increase in horsepower for every 11 degree reduction in ambient temperature.

After taking my car back home to Southern California, I decided to hammer it late one night, when the outside temperature was 60 degrees. At this temperatures, my car was making some where in the range of 4-12% more horsepower than when tested by EVOMS in Arizona (that could equate to 100 more HP). Unfortunately, EVOMS’ head gasket simply was unable to handle the additional power and it failed. This is a true testament to the magnitude of the additional power created by the head work, cams, intercoolers and new programming. As powerful as my prior set-up was, it did not blow even the OEM head gasket. My new set up is so much more powerful that even EVOMS’ much stronger gasket cannot hold it.

When a head gasket fails, one always has to be concerned about the possibility of detonation. However, upon removing the heads and inspecting the pistons, plugs and gasket, there was no evidence of any detonation.

Based on the foregoing, we were faced with the task of further reinforcing the engine to handle the power. The obvious solution was o-rings. However, to their credit, EVOMS did not stop there. Instead, EVOMS undertook a comprehensive investigation to determine the most thorough and effective method to address my power.

EVOMS has strong ties to a few Indy teams/engine builders on the East Coast. Thus, EVOMS shipped a 996TT head and block (or some portion thereof) to an Indy engine builder, along with the OEM head gasket and the EVOMS reinforced head gasket, and sought their input. The Indy engine builder was impressed with the OEM head gasket, and even more impressed with EVOMS’ strengthened head gasket. However, upon learning of the power my engine is likely making, the Indy engine builder strongly recommended that I switch to a copper head gasket, just like those used by Indy engines. Thus, we are having a custom copper head gasket water jet cut and embossed for a stainless steel stamped o-ring that will be set in a grove cut into the heads. EVOMS is also adding additional shuffle pinning. EVOMS is also cutting a small harmonic grove in a couple of the piston tops to redirect combustion harmonic to a stronger part of the engine. Finally, EVOMS is going to experiment with increased clamping force on the head studs. They are going to assemble their in-house engine, torque the head studs down harder than previously done, then measure any distortion/reflection in the case. EVOMS will keep doing this, in incremental steps, measuring any impact on the case, in order to determine a safe amount of additional torque to apply when tightening the head studs.

FYI, many of these new developments, including the new copper head gasket and o-rings, will be available through EVOMS in the not to distant future. That being said, those using EVOMS’ current upgraded head gasket have nothing to worry about unless and until you start doing the head work that I did and run silly amounts of boost.

EVOMS has stood behind their product and handled this glitch with tremendous honor and integrity. There was never any question that they would do everything possible to remedy the issue. I would also like to thank Stephen Kasper, Todd Knighton and VRAlex for their input along the way. These guys were also very supportive.

So there you have it. I should have my car back in a little over a week. I’ll keep you posted.

Craig

Old 07-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
^Whoa! Your car must be really powerful (1000+ HP?).

Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by tom03lightning
Craig,
Sounds good. Alex should look at the Supra head too and see where they reinforced the heads and studs there. The supra's have taken 50+lbs of boost and nitrous (marko's car when it made 1520rwhp) and routinely see close to 50 or 50+lbs on boost alone. Just and idea.

Can't wait to see the final results in the cool weather...........
Thanks Tom. The Supra heads have two significant advantages over the Porsche heads in terms of handling additional power/boost. First and foremost, the Supra heads are cast iron, as opposed to aluminum, so they can handle FAR more torque on the head studs without distortion. Second, the Supra head studs are considerably larger in diameter.

Craig

Old 07-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
^Whoa! Your car must be really powerful (1000+ HP?).
Your guess is as good as mine. I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing that at the engine, but absent a reliable dyno run, I will refrain from guessing.

Craig

Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Craig, wish you the best of luck...hang in there. I know these are sometimes trying times, but you are going some places where few have gone. Again good luck!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:17 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Kind of thought something might be amiss. You are usually not so quiet especially with that animal in the garage. Glad Evoms is taking good care of you. Todd is a stand up guy.

Do you know if Alex had to do something like this with his car?

Old 07-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
Kind of thought something might be amiss. You are usually not so quiet especially with that animal in the garage. Glad Evoms is taking good care of you. Todd is a stand up guy.

Do you know if Alex had to do something like this with his car?
Thanks Buddy. VRAlex uses o-rings.

Craig

Old 07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Hey marvel perfections take times. Good luck

Old 07-15-2006, 02:57 AM
TechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeTechArtDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing the type of technology you are tapping into here Craig, and the minds that are coming together to further this project. Cant wait to hear of the results.

-Markus-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Craig how's that beast running?