996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Craig how's that beast running?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 06:09 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
Thanks Marty. Bumps in the road are inevitable with cars of this nature. VRAlex’s car took two years to build and, even after it was initially “finished,” there were several “bumps in the road” that had to be resolved. I am not at liberty to discuss the particulars, but suffice it to say that it was not smooth sailing from the very first drive. CJV’s car has been under the knife for two years, and he still has not resolved all the issues. Markski’s car has been in progress for almost six months. As the learning curve increases, subsequent cars have the benefit of prior experiences.

As I previously mentioned, my car is not the first 996TT to blow a head gasket. Other respected tuners, who I will not mention by name, have experienced the same problem. Fortunately, there are solutions available and, just as the other tuners have solved the issue (with o-rings), so too will EVOMS. I am particularly impressed that EVOMS did not simply apply the o-ring fix utilized by others, but also undertook additional measures, discussed above, to ensure a comprehensive solution. EVOMS will do everything possible to ensure that my engine runs smoothly and holds together, so that they do not have to field my daily progress requests while the car is at their shop. This is a tremendous motivator.

Craig
Craig,
Im new to the forum, but I've been there & done that!! I had a 930 which
I built from scratch, 3.6, rods, motec, full bearing turbos, port, polished
O ring heads etc...., more or less your set up but without the head gasket
issue. after the car was done (2years) there were still plenty of issues
to be dealt with. Anyway when you push these cars to the limits something
is going to break sooner or later! When I sold the car it was bitter sweet
& felt a big load off my shoulders.
I just purchased an X50 & Im putting in a stage 4 kit and thats it!!!
There will be always be somebody out there, willing to blow up there
car to be quicker then you! I built my car to be quick & to able to
handle 30 lb of boost reliable, but kept it down to 16 lb just so nothing breaks.
I was running 600 hp to the wheels with 16 lb boost, more than that
it was just down right scarry (2700 lb). Anyway it gets to the point where
you just cant put it down anyway.
Good luck on your venture!!

Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
About 9% more power

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
About 9% more power
Thanks for the conversion. 9% more power is a HUGE delta!!

Craig

Old 07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Craig,
Sorry to hear about the issues. I am glad you have the resources and courage to continue on the path. I know you will get it sorted out. I am impressed with the members on here who are willing to share information and experience in the spirit of helping each other. I think you are definately plowing new dirt and we will all learn form your and others endeavors. Thanks for sharing and good luck. Ps what would you guess your car was capable of running the 1/4 in even soft launching it? Sounds like 10 flat or maybe high 9 to me. Anyway keep the tip owners proud my brutha! Later.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The Porsche head studs 175,000 psi test. EVO head studs 175,000 psi test. The EVO head gasket is superior to the Porsche head gasket abeit you will drop approx. 2/10's compression. The grooves and copper ring method Markski is using is borrowed from the 993 motor and work very well. There is a stronger head stud currently available. I have used all three.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:30 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Craig,

What you are saying about the air is partially correct. Our tests have shown that once the ambient air temperature is below 65 degrees F, the hp gains are almost none detectable. In addition, as the ambient temps drop the hp gains are not proportional for every ten degrees.

Last edited by cjv; 07-16-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:14 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
As I previously mentioned, my car is not the first 996TT to blow a head gasket.
Craig
Who me Just the name of the game.. glad you're staying par for the course man! James was telling me about a year ago that copper o-rings were the way to go after he started smelling the 'ol coolant. Him, Todd Z and a few bears later back in December (I think?) and I feel asleep during the conversation but needless to say I missed out on a bunch of good info....

Old 07-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
The Porsche head studs 175,000 psi test. EVO head studs 175,000 psi test. The EVO head gasket is superior to the Porsche head gasket abeit you will drop approx. 2/10's compression. The grooves and copper ring method Markski is using is borrowed from the 993 motor and work very well. There is a stronger head stud currently available. I have used all three.
The new ARP head studs I am using are 230,000 psi!!!

EVOMS' multi-layer head gasket is more than sufficient for all but the most extreme applications. This new copper head gasket is even better. Moreover, it is thinner, so I will not lose any compression (I may actually pick up a tad of compression).

Craig

Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Who me Just the name of the game..
Actually, I was not referring to you. Other tuners have encountered the same problem.

Craig

Old 07-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
... This new copper head gasket is even better. Moreover, it is thinner, so I will not lose any compression (I may actually pick up a tad of compression).

Craig
Does this mean re-tuning is required to achieve optimum AFR's?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
ECB
ECB is infamous around these parts
Sorry about your misfortune craig...

Ah well, at least now you found the weakest link! Yet another excuse to get some MORE power!! (Muhwahahahaha)

I'm sure you'll have everything sorted pretty soon. Also, real happy to hear that your trans has exceeded your expectations. If there's anything we can assist you with re: your present engine problem - let me know!

You'll be back to terrorizing the roads pretty soon I'm sure

Old 07-17-2006, 02:49 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Actually, I was not referring to you. Other tuners have encountered the same problem.

Craig
I knew it was going to happen over time and in all fairness I had my motor built a very long time ago and without the supporting hardware. Mine blew as I had the stock head gasket so it really stood little chance.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
I am a little Lost you guys... why is it that the 9ff 910hp kit uses Titanium rods...i thought titanium was lighter but not as stronger... Also i am pressuming that its 910 with over 110 octane... Secondly has anyone thought of just using ITB's with the Porsche...that way it increases pressure into each cylinder so you dont have to run as much boost...

Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I know that Stephen said that Titanium rods are used in race cars for one or two races... thats it.. not in street cars...
ITBs have been used b4 by someone.. I forgot who though...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
did the ITB's work out to be better or not so much with these cars.. As if thats the case i might run Dual MAF's that way i dont have to upgrade them i figure and can use stock ones i figure..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Craig how's that beast running?