996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche of Nashua - New England Dragway Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Porsche of Nashua - New England Dragway Event Pictures

Some pictures of todays Porsche of Nashua / New England Dragway Event. What a great time...Personally, I have never run the 1/4 mile before and it was a blast!

Porsche Pit

Getting Instructions

Lining up to run

Staging

And off...

Last edited by John D; 07-16-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
Sorry I missed this. Wanted to get out there but had some work to finish up. I heard a 959 made an appearance? Did it run down the track at all, if so any good numbers? Thanks for sharing this with us John.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:29 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
TCM,

Sorry you missed it. No, the 959 did not run, nor did any 997tt's.

This was a much better time than I had imagined. They are planning on doing it again next year and adding an autocross course for a dual event. I will go again. We had the track to ourselves - it was a low key, fun atmosphere.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D II
TCM,

Sorry you missed it. No, the 959 did not run, nor did any 997tt's.

This was a much better time than I had imagined. They are planning on doing it again next year and adding an autocross course for a dual event. I will go again. We had the track to ourselves - it was a low key, fun atmosphere.
Sounds like you guys had a blast, John.

What were the fastest times/highest trap speeds of the day, and which cars were responsible for them?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Scott,

Yes, it was great fun. I actually had the fastest times of the day. A GT2 was next to me at 11.98/119mph, then 996tt in the 12's. GT3's were 13's and lots of 930 turbos (possible 13's - not certain, 14's & 15's), many, many 15 sec runs. It was very hot, about 90 and extremely humid. I wonder what I could run in cooler weather? I was wanting an 11.5 @ 126 and came close. Here's my slip...

Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Scott,

Yes, it was great fun. I actually had the fastest times of the day. A GT2 was next to me at 11.98/119mph, then 996tt in the 12's. GT3's were 13's and lots of 930 turbos (possible 13's - not certain, 14's & 15's), many, many 15 sec runs. It was very hot, about 90 and extremely humid. I wonder what I could run in cooler weather? I was wanting an 11.5 @ 126 and came close. Here's my slip...

That's a great run in those conditions, John.

I think in cooler, dryer weather (high 60's/low 70's) you'd probably be able to hit your goal of 11.5 @ 126.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Scott, that's good to know - wasn't really sure if it was good or bad. I definetely wanted to be in the 11's and 120's and was very pleased to acheive that. Doing this really gave me an appreciation and understanding of what it takes to run in the 10's. I tried and tried to go faster and no matter what I was about the same. 10 seconds is damn fast.

Last edited by John D; 07-17-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
John, if u lower ur 60ft ull get 11.5 to 11.7 and if the temps drop slightly...
Im not sure if ur set up will hit 126 mph casue thats what I hit on the stage 5 ZC- granted it was on the stock Wgs...
All in all great runs... and good luck...
now u know how hard it is to save off .2 of a second...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Scott & Markski,

Thanks for all the advice. Markski, I have a question for you or anyone else that may have insight. I know you ran the FVD intake plenum for a while (not sure about you, Scott). Speed Gallery suggested that I install the FVD plenum, larger throttle body and Y-pipe diverter in order to maximize my new (current) mods. I held off because I wanted to see how the car ran with the new turbos, wastegates, headers and programming. I felt that if I did everything at once and the car did not run properly..where do we look first? In comparison to 2-3 variables there would be 6 items to troubleshoot. Now that I have tested the new mods and I am comfortable with them..I am contemplating adding the plenum, throttle body and y-pipe diverter. What do you think could be gained (using my 1/4 mile statistics posted above as a reference) by adding these components to the current mix? In other words, using the 1/4 mile as a reference, would it increase acceleration/ET/trap speed?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Scott & Markski,

Thanks for all the advice. Markski, I have a question for you or anyone else that may have insight. I know you ran the FVD intake plenum for a while (not sure about you, Scott). Speed Gallery suggested that I install the FVD plenum, larger throttle body and Y-pipe diverter in order to maximize my new (current) mods. I held off because I wanted to see how the car ran with the new turbos, wastegates, headers and programming. I felt that if I did everything at once and the car did not run properly..where do we look first? In comparison to 2-3 variables there would be 6 items to troubleshoot. Now that I have tested the new mods and I am comfortable with them..I am contemplating adding the plenum, throttle body and y-pipe diverter. What do you think could be gained (using my 1/4 mile statistics posted above as a reference) by adding these components to the current mix? In other words, using the 1/4 mile as a reference, would it increase acceleration/ET/trap speed?
John,

I have absolutely no doubt that you will gain power with the plenum, TB and Y-pipe diverter...but it's very hard to say how much. I would guess 20 HP or more. That will certainly help your mph in the 1/4 mle, and with a good launch...would help your E.T. as well.

Markski should be able to give you more accurate answer since he has first-hand experience with those mods.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
hey John,
Yes I had the fvd plenum... the 76 mm TB they have with the aluminum splitter is very nice... very nice..its actually on my XXXX hp protomotive car as well. all this will help greatly especially the fvd plenum...
on the other hand.. ur k16/24 hybrids will limit ur trap speed... no matter what u have for air flow... u will get about 125 mph with the add ons...
I trapped 126 will everything u had but with stock actuators... and that was on 1.1 to 1.2 bars sustained. INTERCOOLERS MY FRIEND... since ur running smaller turbos u need to cool them more them larger turbos boosting the same PSI... Speed gallery has custom set as well. I wish u had all these add ons on the ZC stage 5 turbos...

click to view

Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks again, guys. Great information.

What is the downside to the stock intercooler/hotter turbos? Damaging them or just performance loss when hot?

Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks again, guys. Great information.

What is the downside to the stock intercooler/hotter turbos? Damaging them or just performance loss when hot?
one thing and only one thing kills turbos.... HEAT. So u can run bigger turbos with less cooling casue they dont run as hot... whereas the smaller turbos are working alot harder to achieve the saem power and run HOT. heat kils turbos and lowers HP.

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 07-18-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
John,

Nice run and beautiful car! How was your launch? What technique did you use? Did you have any bogging off the line?

It may be time for bigger turbos if you want to run faster! Looks like a fun day, you usually don't have that many Porsches at the dragstrip.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks, Markski - I don't plan to run again until next year at the same event, so I am not sure I will run them that hard again for a long time. Buddy, the reason there were so many Porsches is that it was a Porsche only event, sponsored by our local dealer. That is what got me out, as I would be too intimidated to try a street night race session. Now that I have done it, I could actually see doing a street night, although I seriously doubt I ever will. It was great to have a Porsche only event and very interesting. The 930's looked fast lining up, but in reality were much slower than I would have thought (obviously they were not heavily modded). A lot of the drivers (with road track experience) were expressing feelings of being very nervous, heart beating at the start line, but I felt very comfortable and at ease, even the first time. After the first time, it was just pure fun, no second thoughts - just shooting for better times and the perfect launch. I slightly bogged a couple of times and got low 12's. I dropped the clutch once and spun all 6,000 RPMs in 1st (smelled a little clutch, too ), which resulted in my worst time. Best times were a moderate launch, easing the clutch out, with some wheel spin, but not a lot - like the car was clawing for traction and was pushed just a little beyond the total traction point. I have an AVI video of my 11.95 @ 122.73 run that shows one of the better launches, but I do not know how to post it. I'm happy with my present set-up, but I think I will add the improved air plumbing for next year and see what it does.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche of Nashua - New England Dragway Event