996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clutch gone at 35k, dealer want $3000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
As a reference...I have 58K on my original clutch (most at stage 2) and it still works fine. The car has not been babied, but not beat on either. Probably won't be long before I need a new one, though. 30K seems early for a replacement.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
I would do a some type of sport clutch. Easy to find on 1 of the Tuner sites(we have a few sponsers here). I have 20k on my car and clutch seems fine but when I'm ready I'll upgrade as I have done a ECU, PSS9, Euro Loud and a few other goodies...I guess in a way this could be a good thing...nice new clutch...
JB

Old 07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
Pratt is my partner and is really just looking for an excuse to pull the trigger on a Gallardo.

Wouldn't you all agree that once the clutch goes, the entire car is on the verge of a complete meltdown? That poor thing could spontaneously combust at any moment. He should save himself now and just trade that old rickety car in for a fresh new Lambo. This would also give him a chance to keep up with me on the way to work!

BTW...i think my clutch is starting to go as well (30K mi)

Old 07-18-2006, 10:46 PM
pratt is infamous around these parts
thanks todd, my wife is not happy right now about the clutch expense; I told her the gallardo's were much more rugged

Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
iborroel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pratt
answer 1) I live in Seattle
answer 2) I had the stock pzeros, upgraded to mps2's
I am calling the dealer to find out more info on what exactly is wrong
Pratt: Hello from Seattle. Well Renton to be more precise. Since you are in Seattle you should contact Kevin from Ultimate Motorwerks at Kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com . He also lives in the area and can get you a new Sachs Mototrsports, LWFW and pressure plate. Heck just email him and he'll have plenty of recommendations.

Ignacio

P.S. By the way what dealer is your car at?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 PM
thanks todd, my wife is not happy right now about the clutch expense; I told her the gallardo's were much more rugged
Yeah my wife wasn't thrilled either when I pulled the engine a couple of months ago on my 993TT to fix some leaks and put in a new clutch, LWFW and pressure plate.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts

good answer my friend...you gotta stay sharp

Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
Go aftermarket, its a lot cheaper and better. My clutch on my cab was replaced at 20k.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:55 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
what caught my eye was the price and not the mileage, what are you replacing?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
my car is at Roger Jobs in Bellingham. I've never been to the dealership: they delivered/trailered to my house for all repairs, etc. I just got off the phone with them, they say $3000 is to install a new clutch assembly, pressure plate, pilot bearing and disc. If the fly wheel needs to be replaced, it's another $900. Isn't this kind of steep ?

Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
my car is at Roger Jobs in Bellingham. I've never been to the dealership: they delivered/trailered to my house for all repairs, etc. I just got off the phone with them, they say $3000 is to install a new clutch assembly, pressure plate, pilot bearing and disc. If the fly wheel needs to be replaced, it's a
nother $900. Isn't this kind of steep ?
No not really for a dealer, BUT you do want to use the Sachs stage 2 and LWFW. Call them up NOW and tell them to stop until you get the better parts
from Kevin at Ultimate motor werks. You will probably do a power upgrade
and you WILL want the better clutch to handle more power!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
my car is at Roger Jobs in Bellingham. I've never been to the dealership: they delivered/trailered to my house for all repairs, etc. I just got off the phone with them, they say $3000 is to install a new clutch assembly, pressure plate, pilot bearing and disc. If the fly wheel needs to be replaced, it's another $900. Isn't this kind of steep ?
Since this work is not going to be covered by warranty why don't you take it to an independent shop. The rate will be less and the work will be just as good. Of course this is assuming that there's a good shop in your area?

Old 07-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
get a sachs cluthc with a flywheel in there... dont make the mistake liek I did... I paid $1800 more later...
u can bring a dealer ur own clutch set up and they will insatll it for the saem price.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I just talked to Alex at Max RPM, he can do a GT2 clutch, Sachs 2 pressure plate, replace rear main seals, fly wheel, etc. for $3600. Sounds like a deal, now the real question is wether to upgrade the power

Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I know that a 1174 Nm clutch ( sachs satge 3) german version is only $1700 at FVD... thats with the lightweight flywheel.. good for 800 HP. I had it myself. ist a smooth as the stock one... its the RS version... this is exactly what Protomotive, Kevin, and other tuners sell
why are they charging u $3600.. thats $1900 for labor...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clutch gone at 35k, dealer want $3000