996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVO Instake and Blown MAF Hypothesis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:40 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
EVO Instake and Blown MAF Hypothesis

Sorry for reposting, but I think this topic needs to be seriously looked at.

I remember way back in the 80s, tuners could not get cone filters to work on MAF cars because the factory metal grills were missing from the cone filter units and did not "comb" or smooth out the air flow resulting in incorrect MAF readings and poor performance. That caused a lot of issues.

In looking at the factory airbox on the 996 TT, there is metal mesh grill that is not on the EVO unit. I understand the new 9FF intake utilizes the factory mesh.

Could the missing mesh be the root cause for blown MAFs?

Finally, for being such an upstanding outfit with highly reputable dealers and products why is EVO so quiet about this issue?

I have no intention of bashing EVO. But this seems to be a very puzzling yet ignored or at least under-discussed topic.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
I totally Agree with you... When i got worried my MAF went out i pulled my Evo intake real quick and decided to build my own.... Honestly the Grill thing i dont think really makes a difference... I state this as a few of my other cars had the grill and they have been removed WAY long ago...

I cant even go into how crazy intakes are for Euro cars...but honestly I think Evo should look into this as three dealers near my area say MAF usually dont go out till after 35k to 40k ... and should go out befor that...

Old 07-22-2006, 08:07 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
The problem is that many people including myself have the EVO intake and have NEVER blown a MAF. So it could just be that certain MAF's are going to fail and a certain number of them also happen to have the EVO intake?

Old 07-22-2006, 08:53 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Of course part of the problem is we have a limited set of data (and the data can only be used for correlation). For this to be really understood would require a scientific study where the hypothesized factors (e.g., MAF Type, MAF Age, Filter Type, Intake Box type...) are studied in a factorial sense. I don't see this happenening, although I would be happy to set-up the experiment and do the math.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
My MAF blew at about 26k miles and I have the stock intake.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
The problem is that many people including myself have the EVO intake and have NEVER blown a MAF. So it could just be that certain MAF's are going to fail and a certain number of them also happen to have the EVO intake?
I think certain MAF's are more prone to failure, and then upon the installation of the EVO intake...some of them fail sooner.

I blew my MAF almost immediately after I installed my EVO intake (with the dry filter...heck of a coincidence). But once I installed a new MAF, all was well.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-22-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 AM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
I've had the intake for about six months, with no MAF problems.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:47 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I personally think it is a combination of things that are making MAF's blow and 1 of them is the EVO intake, don't get me wrong! I think the intake/idea is a superb one and would use it in a second, but I'm just not convinced! If you look at some of the Euro cars they stick with the box but cut away the front side, I have noticed this on a number of Turbo's.

Where's Mark! maybe he has something on this.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
I remember hearing that there was going to be a more "robust" MAF replacement coming soon from a tuner. Has that happened yet?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
My car also blew its MAF and spark plugs before adding the V flow, now my car with it and newer MAF sensor no problem's what so ever!

Old 07-22-2006, 01:00 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
dude, it's just a coincidence.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
EVOMS is exploring a new MAF option, and already has a prototype. I am informed that a new, stronger MAF may be available in the not to distant future.

Craig

Old 07-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Does that mean they agree there is a problem?

Could it be that the MAFs only blow on modded K24 cars or cars running over 1 bar boost?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-22-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I doubt they'l admit it. but there is a "coicidence". virtually everyone I know of personally has had problems. ask doc he'll set you straight.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Coincidence....LOL!

MK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO Instake and Blown MAF Hypothesis